Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Soilbuilding 101™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Rabbit Poo Ready for Service! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44015)

Spartanburg123 February 19, 2017 11:56 PM

Rabbit Poo Ready for Service!

I have obtained about 100 lbs of good rabbit poo for soil preparation- two full hefty bags. Can someone suggest what I can till this with to get awesome soil? I have South Carolina red clay currently. Last year I tilled peat moss and black cow with the clay, and I had some pretty impressive 15 foot tall plants. But I understand that rabbit poo is on another level.

AlittleSalt February 20, 2017 12:33 AM

You are growing 15' tall plants - I think your soil is already there.

In organic gardening beliefs, Rabbit Poo is one that you can use without composting.

BigVanVader February 20, 2017 08:14 AM

I always just put it on top. Let the worms do the work for you.

twillis2252 February 20, 2017 08:45 AM

That Carolina red clay gives a distinctive flavor to tomatoes. When I grew tomatoes on the coast the flavor was no where near the flavor obtained in the piedmont and mountain areas; comparing the same variety.

Gardenboy February 20, 2017 12:56 PM

I use the rabbit poo as a side dressing every 2 weeks when I fertilize with Tomato-tone. I use it as a rabbit poo manure tea on ALL my lettuces, basil, collards and broccoli and all the bean varieties. Great stuff! :surprised:

MissS February 20, 2017 08:49 PM

I too just use it as a top dressing and allow the worms to make quick work of it. It won't burn the plants, so why bother to do all of the work to dig it in?

SteveP February 27, 2017 07:47 PM

I just quit trying to remember stuff. And if something does stick, bonus!

SteveP March 22, 2017 08:44 PM

I was looking on CL for someone offering rabbit poo for sale and there were none within a fairly large radius. I noticed lots of rabbits for sale, but not the droppings.
I figured if they had rabbits, they had some manure, so I called one of the rabbits for sale ads , told him I was looking for some rabbit manure for my garden and he was very nice. He told me his address, to bring containers and I could have all I wanted. I am going tomorrow evening and load up.

BigVanVader March 22, 2017 09:02 PM

Good idea, several people near me sell it but don't give it away. Sometimes Alpaca poop is easier to find and is pretty much the same.

SteveP March 23, 2017 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=BigVanVader;626949]Good idea, several people near me sell it but don't give it away. Sometimes Alpaca poop is easier to find and is pretty much the same.[/QUOTE]

I did see some Alpaca offered for sale, but it was $20 a bag and was about 50% straw. Good stuff I am sure, but didn't want to spend $100 for poop.
I wasn't able to go pick up the rabbit poo tonight as planned as my middle son and family came into town from Omaha and we had dinner and spent time visiting. Saturday morning hopefully.

ArcherB March 27, 2017 09:10 AM

I would lay it on top and then turn it over with a pitchfork. Clay is slow to absorb water and I'd to see all that good stuff wash away in the next heavy rain.

ChristinaJo March 27, 2017 12:29 PM

Score!

SteveP March 27, 2017 06:07 PM

I went Saturday morning and filled up 2 large totes of rabbit droppings. I tried to give the guy some $ to buy some rabbit food but he would take it.
While there I saw this huge old tree and commented on what a cool tree it was and he said it had been studied by the state and it was declared the oldest White Oak in the state of Missouri and estimated to be 300 years old. Very cool stuff IMO.

Jimbotomateo March 27, 2017 06:20 PM

[QUOTE=SteveP;627880]I went Saturday morning and filled up 2 large totes of rabbit droppings. I tried to give the guy some $ to buy some rabbit food but he would take it.
While there I saw this huge old tree and commented on what a cool tree it was and he said it had been studied by the state and it was declared the oldest White Oak in the state of Missouri and estimated to be 300 years old. Very cool stuff IMO.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the fertilizer SteveP. Incredible story about the tree, 300 years is a long haul:). Thanks for sharing :yes:.

SteveP March 27, 2017 09:15 PM

[QUOTE=Jimbotomateo;627883]Congrats on the fertilizer SteveP. Incredible story about the tree, 300 years is a long haul:). Thanks for sharing :yes:.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jimbo.