Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   CHOPTAG™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   One Week & a Day Until the PLANT SWAP (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=1127)

JerryL April 27, 2006 01:55 PM

One Week & a Day Until the PLANT SWAP

OK Folks! It’s time to get pumped up for our plant swap. It’s just over a week away.

Earl, Neil – do you two guys have those pigs cooking yet? My mouth is starting to drool.

Mark – haven’t heard much from you. You going to take Earl’s challenge and bring "[b]lip-smackng pulled pork[/b]"? :P

I think I have every one’s request potted up and ready to go with two exceptions. Neil, my Dinner Plate didn’t make it. But everything else you asked for is looking good. If you want something else I have just let me know.

Lisa, same thing for Mule Team. But Big Rainbow is looking.. well.. Big. Let me know if I can bring something else for you.

How about everyone posting here if they still plan on attending. I’m just curious how many we’ll have this year. :D

ZBQ April 27, 2006 10:27 PM

Jerry,
I actually did a practice run on the Pulled Pork last weekend and I didn't have any complaints. :D :D Matter of fact, my brother in law took a whole gallon size baggie stuffed completly full!! Guess he must have liked it. 8)

I am still planning on coming. I'm really looking forward to it. I actually have some plants that I will be bringing. They aren't very big since I was bitten by the heirloom bug a little late, but I am hoping that they grow before the 6th. I just repotted them into 8 oz. plastic cups 2 days ago and they seem to be doing really well. I am trying to get them out in the sun as much as possible.

Earl April 29, 2006 08:22 PM

Mr. President,
[that's Jerry]
Me and Kathy will be there, not sure if Walt [Dad in law] will be with us or not. So it's either 2 or 3. For sure, it would be nice if we could pin down as close as we can the number going to show up. Ken told me that he would be away on the 6th but hoped to make it back in time before the meet shuts down.

BTW, if someone needs one, I don't remember if the shelter has electrical outlets. Do you remember?

BBQ? Oh yeah, that. :-) I'll be bringing what cooks down from two Boston butt roasts [ 13-14 lbs. uncooked]. Plus BBQ sauce. No promises, but if I get a wild hair I may do some homemade sausage. I need to ask Kathy what's she's going to bring?

Anyone want to volunteer, if you're positive your coming, to bring:
baked beans,
or potato salad,
or BBQ buns and a cooler of ice-water-cups,
or ???
or??? let your mind run rampant. We're not bashful, as long as it's good CHOPTAGers will scarf-up most anything!

ZBQ April 29, 2006 10:17 PM

Hey Earl,
Do you think I should do 1 or 2 Boston Butts? I have them pakaged both ways. The single is a little over 10 lbs. The double is somewhere bettween 18 and 20lbs.

Heck, if we have left overs we should just bring along a box of baggies for everyone to take the rest home for lunch the next day. :D 8)

Also, are you going to pull it before you get there or just before eating? I will have to put mine in a cooler to keep it hot since it is going to be a 2 hour drive for me. It would probably stay hotter if I transported it whole and then pulled it there.

Boy, I just realized,this is going to be a middle of the night smoke for me!! :shock:

Woodenzoo April 29, 2006 11:09 PM

I'm still planning on being there... Working 2nd shift so hope I can get up early enough to be there in time!
I have a couple of plants that I've promised to bring and about a dozen others that I'll try to pond off on someone. :wink: :lol:
All are still quite small though and wish that the GMG and the Lithuanian were looking better, but as it is, I'll be embarrassed enough with the size of the ones I do bring. :oops:

All that pulled pork sounds great, but being a vegetarian, I'm afraid I won't be partaking. :arrow:
I'll bring some potato salad and has anyone volunteered bringing plates or napkins? If not, I can bring some of those too, just let me know.
Really looking forward to meeting everyone!
Cathy

Earl April 30, 2006 09:03 AM

Neil,
Let's pull it at the meet as that seems to lend an air of authentification to the event [the BBQin], plus the aroma nearly drives everyone plumb crazy. :-)

Better to have to much than not enough! I've never seen any pulled pork go to waste. You could wait until maybe Wednesday to decide , as by then we should know how many are going to show up. And like you said, bring some zip locs.

I'll start mine the evening before, smok'em for 4 hours or so, wrap in heavy duty foil, then move to the kitchen oven to finish off.

Cathy,
You've got my vote for potato salad, and plates and napkins. Jerry will take care of your portion of pulled pork. :-)

Jerry,
Drinks? Should that be left to individual taste? As in bring your own?

JerryL April 30, 2006 09:37 AM

We always leave drinks up to each person. Keep in mind park rules says no alcohol.

Usually everyone brings a few plates, utensils and the like. We always seem to have enough.

matermama April 30, 2006 11:26 AM

still working on it Earl

I m still working on it,
I will pick up a hitchhiker if i have too. LOL
anyone want to carpool :idea: or can i just follow you?
I have a BIG TRUCK :D
I thought hooking up with a fellow mater lover sounded more fun than jsut myself. :(
can i bring brownies?
matermama
aka: sue

BrokenAppleTree April 30, 2006 08:25 PM

Hi All,
I'll be coming down (just me this year). I've got the following tomatoes to bring (speak up if you want one)
Stump of the World
Tiny Tim
Red Robin
Mortgage Lifter Radiator Charlie
Kelloggs Breakfast
Brandywine Sudduth
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Aunt Gerties Gold

Food wise, I'll bring a dump-it-cake (literally crushed pineapple, cherry pie filling, white cake mix and butter dumped into a pan and baked).

Best Regards,
Brian

Dave_Z6 April 30, 2006 11:31 PM

Hi Guys and Gals:
I signed up to bring the buns,plates and napkins a while back. Already bought the plates and naps.
Are they still needed ????
We both plan to be there.
Brian>>> I'll take an AGG if you have a spare.
Dave

Miss_Mudcat May 1, 2006 01:04 PM

I plan to be there with DH (Eric) and 4 children: Leif, Storm, Rain, and Winter, a.k.a. Gus.

My DH makes the best baked beans. I'm sure I can talk him into making a kettle full.

I [i]plan[/i] to bring CHOCOLATE KRYPTONITE, better known as Chocolate Sheet cake... HOWEVER, we recently found out we are expecting our fifth child and I am, ugh, [i]very[/i] sick as of late. I'll give it a good effort though.

I'm bringing 2 of each of the following:
Green Zebra
Druzba
Silvery Fir Tree
Marion
Kellogg's Breakfast
and maybe something else... dunno yet. I have tomato plants coming out the ears right now. I'll bring what looks good.

See y'all soon!!

Lisa

P.S. Jerry, it's my daughter Rain who wants Big Rainbow, and she will be none the wiser if she doesn't get one. :wink:

JerryL May 1, 2006 02:20 PM

Lisa,

Far be it from me to disappoint your daughter. I’ll bring Big Rainbow and if you don’t take it home with you at least I’ll have will be able to look her in the eye. :D

Earl May 1, 2006 06:56 PM

I've got green garlic growing out my ears. :-) If anyone cooks with garlic, then green garlic is your best friend. I plan to bring a few bunches (5 or 6), so if you want your name in the pot to make sure you get some, then sound off.

Dave_Z6 May 1, 2006 08:57 PM

Earl:
I love garlic.
Put my name on a bunch,please.
Thanks,
Dave

ZBQ May 1, 2006 09:11 PM

Earl,
I would like to try the green garlic. Is it stronger or milder than regular garlic?