Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Relocating hose bib (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45724)

elight July 30, 2017 04:21 PM

Relocating hose bib

For the past two years, I've had a bit of a pain with anything requiring the use of a hose in my garden. I have one hose bib on the opposite side of my backyard, requiring me to stretch out the house across my entire pool deck and out the door of the screen enclosure. I also have another one on the side of my house, requiring me to run a hose about the same distance and through the door of the backyard fence. Both are a pain.

I would really like to "relocate" the latter one to where the garden is. I've come up with a few options:

1. Have a plumber run some pipes underground from the current location to a new hose bib. Because I have concrete block walls on a slab, doing the plumbing inside is not really an option.

2. Same as #1 but attempt to do it myself.

3. Run an actual garden hose (I would think underground so it doesn't get cut by a lawnmower) to the new location, and hook it up to one of these, which I actually already have but have never used:

[IMG]http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/50/50b4df5d-e87c-4712-b9b1-342ad1490e18_1000.jpg[/IMG]

Any one have any thoughts? I have no idea how much #1 will cost, how difficult #2 would be (I can glue PVC), or how advisable it is to run garden hose underground.

Father'sDaughter July 30, 2017 05:55 PM

I know of a community garden that solved their problem by renting a small gas powered trencher, making a trench from the location of the sillcock to the edge of the garden, burying poly waterline in the trench, then adding fittings to both ends of the poly in order to connect hoses -- a short piece at the building, and a longer hose for use in the garden. I think they got all the parts on Amazon, but you can probably find them at any irrigation supply store.

Since you're in FL, you shouldn't have to worry about blowing it out to avoid freezing during the winter.

Worth1 July 30, 2017 06:23 PM

Do it yourself.
DO NOT run a garden hose underground it is just well I dont know.:lol:
Worth

Rockporter July 30, 2017 06:49 PM

Could you run a hose through pvc pipe and bury that? At least your hose would be protected.

elight July 30, 2017 09:11 PM

Hmm, if I'm going to run a hose through a pipe, why not just use the pipe?

I would think that a garden hose would hold up at least as well as the poly tubing that I use for my drip irrigation, much is which is underground (didn't start that way, but after 3 years, now it is), and despite our many pest problems including moles, I haven't had any leaks.

The problem with the pipe is that digging a ditch (or renting a ditch witch) does not sound like an enticing proposition. I guess if I ran it right alongside the house, I could probably pull the sod up and tuck it under.

imp July 30, 2017 10:18 PM

Why bury the pipe? Run it and then use wood chips or such to cover it thickly.

Rockporter July 30, 2017 10:20 PM

[QUOTE=elight;657640]Hmm, if I'm going to run a hose through a pipe, why not just use the pipe?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an awesome idea to me, lol. :yes:

Father'sDaughter July 30, 2017 10:32 PM

You can always call an irrigation installer and see if they would be willing to come pull the line for you, and then you can do all the connections yourself if you wanted to save a few bucks.

elight July 30, 2017 11:33 PM

A few reasons to bury it. One, so it doesn't make my side yard look silly. Two, so it doesn't run into a lawnmower. Three, because the Florida sun (and storms) can lay waste to just about everything.

If I'm going to pay someone to pull the pipes, might as well have them finish it off. =) Guess I gotta find out what it costs and if it's worth saving myself the aggravation.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Salsacharley July 30, 2017 11:40 PM

I buried a hose for only 6 ft in my garden, just to get it under a flagstone walkway. After one year it leaked underground. I vote for PVC if you want durability.

AlittleSalt July 31, 2017 12:21 AM

3/4" PVC schedule 40 underground is very easy and will last decades.

Worth1 July 31, 2017 05:41 AM

Really depends on if you have the proper tools to dig a ditch.
It can get expensive.
If you are in sand it is easy but you still need tools.
Duck bill shovel and ditch clean out shovel hard tooth rake root cutters and so in.
If you rent the machine you have to know how to use that thing they are heavy.
Sounds like a winter job to me.

My Foot Smells July 31, 2017 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've done both pvc, and hose config.

if you have a "straight run" pvc would be good, 1/2 has better psi, but 3/4 is the usual suspect.

I use the hose config. (craftsman lifetime black rubber hose) b/c I had to navigate around some crepe myrtles and some other stuff. Haven't had a problem in 7 years. I build pvc around my garden deck (attached to side) with 10 spigots. I disconnect the hose in the winter time. The pvc above ground, I have had to replace a few breaks over the years, sun can be brutal and ANY water left in the pvc will crack it in a jiffy.

the hose to pvc fitting is compatable only though adapter, they are not natural thread relatives.

A pvc run can allow multiple risers on the same line, which can be an advantage. Esp. for leaky hose and such. During peak season, I have sweat hose on all my beds and just one turn on the main, turns them all on. uh, scratch that. the inline pvc hose turnoff (pic below) I installed had to be replaced every year and I removed. so no longer have that feature. I don't know why it kept leaking but it is not a solid piece and was the weakest link. It was a pain to replace to, b/c once cut off you were short to replace with another and also had to couple or replace one side of the line.

[ATTACH]75880[/ATTACH]

ha ha, just rambling now, but you git the gist. good luck.

Rockporter July 31, 2017 03:19 PM

Don't forget to have the city come out and check for pipes and wires where you want to lay your pipe.

Worth1 July 31, 2017 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=Rockporter;657775]Don't forget to have the city come out and check for pipes and wires where you want to lay your pipe.[/QUOTE]

I did that and it was a joke.
Worth