Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Lathe Hack and old school tool use. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42691)

Worth1 September 4, 2016 01:36 PM

[QUOTE=loulac;590843]Don't you think you are a bit overdoing it ? This must be your Texan touch. The point is I have been young much longer than you have.

I read your post at 10 o'clock French time, you wrote it at 3 a.m. Texan Time. Do you ever sleep ?:lol::lol:[/QUOTE]
Normally Texans dont say what they dont think at least they used to.
Here is an explanation of the 2 TPI idea.
I want to cut french checkering in steel or something close to it.

It would take some time but it can be done.
You cut one whole thread it doesn't have to be to full depth
Then you evenly mark out lines around the work starting at the first thread without removing the work.
Remove work rotate to next mark and cut threads keep doing this for all of the threads repeat cutting the left hand threads.
If you skip a given amount of those indexed marks going both ways you will end up with diamonds in the pattern.
Say cut 5 threads skip 3 marks cut 5 threads., what ever the count would need to be to end up right at the end.
To get the amount of line spacing you would use the same formula you would use for cutting gears.
This is the same process used to cut multiple start threads.

Worth.

dmforcier September 4, 2016 02:19 PM

[QUOTE]..though Texans are said to have a tendency to exaggerate a bit from time to time...[/QUOTE]<ha ha> It's said here in Texas, too. There is an old guy on the radio that tells stories about Texas. He always has good stories and as far as I can tell, they are accurate. But he closes his segment with, "This has been 'Stories from Texas'. Some of them .. are true."

[QUOTE]The point is I have been young much longer than you have.[/QUOTE]
Now [I]that[/I] is a superb turn of phrase. Mind if I steal it?

Worth1 September 4, 2016 03:58 PM

I bet the neighbors are getting sick of my loud right angle grinder out side cutting the last two radius on a metal table.
I have ear plugs in so I cant hear it.:))

Worth

Worth1 September 4, 2016 06:11 PM

Not taking any pictures of the process but I have stopped using the grinder and am hand fitting with a half round file, almost there.
Before I started that I used a file and a square to get everything in line.
When I get tired of the fitting I stop and start filing the top to get it smooth and flat by draw filing.

Worth

Worth1 September 4, 2016 06:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of shots I am taking a break.

Worth
[ATTACH]66100[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]66101[/ATTACH]

Worth1 September 4, 2016 10:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Getting set up the weld the right hand side I couldn't ask for a better fit.
Once it is tacked up I will work on the left side more so it fits right and is the right length.
The right hand side is the side I did with a grinder and files.
I will have to put 7 little tacks on it to keep it from moving on me during the final welding.
Two at the top three on the side and two on the bottom.

I might do it tonight as coffee even one cup makes my hands shake a wee bit doing small welding like this.
Worth

[ATTACH]66109[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]66110[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]66111[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]66112[/ATTACH]

dmforcier September 4, 2016 11:07 PM

Nice work! I can see where you're going now.

Worth1 September 4, 2016 11:45 PM

Thanks.
I dont normally grind off welds but in this case I am.
Which means I will have to make a few passes on the big vertical V you see.
It will be contoured to fit the shape of the curves to help maintain the old styling, not just a chunk of steel.
It will in a sense become an ogee.
Worth

dmforcier September 5, 2016 12:16 AM

Ogees are deco. Deco rocks.

I have bad tinitus. (Too many Who concerts.) I could take the whine of a grinder for maybe 20-30 minutes, then I'd go nuts. Your neighbors must like you.

Worth1 September 5, 2016 12:34 AM

[QUOTE=dmforcier;590999]Ogees are deco. Deco rocks.

I have bad tinitus. (Too many Who concerts.) I could take the whine of a grinder for maybe 20-30 minutes, then I'd go nuts. Your neighbors must like you.[/QUOTE]

At least I dont do it at 3 in the morning I only sleep about 4 hours a day.
Last night I went to bed at around 6 in the morning and got up bright eyed and bushy tailed at around 10 AM.:lol:
Worth

loulac September 5, 2016 03:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=dmforcier;590914]"I have been young much longer than you have"
Now [I]that[/I] is a superb turn of phrase. Mind if I steal it?[/QUOTE]
[FONT=&quot]I feel obliged to [I]r[FONT=&quot][I]ender [/I][/FONT][/I]unto [I][FONT=&quot][I]Caesar the things that are Caesar's. In fact I translated the caption of a cartoon found on a site of geriatrics. You are of course welcome to use it whenever you find an opportunity ![/I][/FONT][/I][/FONT]
[I][FONT=&quot][I]This is the picture, now you can brush up your French :lol::lol:[/I][/FONT][/I]

Fusion_power September 5, 2016 03:19 AM

[QUOTE]Texans are said to have a tendency to exaggerate a bit from time to time...[/QUOTE] This is an understatement if I ever heard one. lol :) :D

I'm going to purchase this table saw tomorrow. When it is through the electrolysis bath and has been painted and buffed clean, I'll take a picture and post it here. I think I can get it back in commission in about 12 hours. this includes cleaning and re-aligning the trunions. The belt can be easily replaced at my local auto parts store. They carry utility belts that work on table saws and honey extractors. Cost is $75 and it is a 3HP Craftsman tablesaw.

[URL]http://www.selectedplants.com/miscan/tablesaw.jpg[/URL]

loulac September 5, 2016 04:50 AM

[QUOTE=Fusion_power;591016]I'm going to purchase this table saw tomorrow... Cost is $75 and it is a 3HP Craftsman tablesaw.[/QUOTE]

[FONT=&quot]Do I understand that saw has a 3 HP motor ? with that power you could cut 10’’ logs. I’m waiting for a whole picture, with safety shields, sawing guides etc[/FONT]

henry September 5, 2016 06:40 AM

Expect the 3HP is start up power and it really is a 1HP motor.

dmforcier September 5, 2016 12:02 PM

Let me try a semi-literal translation: "To be old, is to be young longer (during a longer time) than the others, that's all."

There was a time when one could buy a saw without all the Federally mandated safety doodads. I would want a fence, though.