Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Herbs (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   What basils should I try? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34173)

ChristinaJo November 8, 2014 09:11 PM

What basils should I try?

Thinking of trying new basils. I don't like the heavy clove/liquerish flavored ones. I guess I like the sweet,fruity, and citrus ones.
So, what are y'all's favs in the later catagories?

heirloomtomaguy November 8, 2014 09:45 PM

My all time favorite basil is cinnamon basil. It has a spicy fruity basil flavor and is great in pasta and asian cuisine. It takes the place at our house of sweet basil for sure.

KarenO November 8, 2014 09:58 PM

If you like a traditional Genovese basil flavour but in a milder version, consider giving lettuce leaf basil a try. Big crinkly leaves, great production and a mild sweet flavour. Something a little different to try.
KO

kayrobbins November 9, 2014 06:38 AM

I really like lemon basil. It has the lighter flavor but is also slightly citrusy.

peppero November 9, 2014 06:53 AM

I like the genovese and cinnamon varieties and plan to try lemon basil in 2015.

jon:yes:

Redbaron November 9, 2014 06:55 AM

Blue spice basil is good. Sort of a 1/2 mint 1/2 basil taste.

shelleybean November 9, 2014 07:53 AM

I agree with Karen on the Lettuce Leaf basil. Excellent all purpose basil with milder flavor and very productive. The plants are a little more compact than the Genovese, as well.

kurt November 9, 2014 07:56 AM

I tried a Green Basil plant.

[QUOTE=ChristinaJo;436711]Thinking of trying new basils. I don't like the heavy clove/liquerish flavored ones. I guess I like the sweet,fruity, and citrus ones.
So, what are y'all's favs in the later catagories?[/QUOTE]

I have about 10-15 basils here and there in the yard for butterfly and bees.The one that stood out and up is this wierd Green Basil that will not die,it bolts produces pods and pods of long flowers and is now about 4ft high.It has a almost mint/camphor taste that is refreshing to nibble on when outside but is not overpowering.The only basil that seems to fight off leaf miner(blotched)and white flies.It is also called Ram Tulsi and Holy Green Basil from what I gather.

Cole_Robbie November 9, 2014 12:05 PM

Emily is a very nice compact-growing basil. It is great for containers, or companion planting where you don't want it to get too tall.

JoParrott November 10, 2014 10:15 AM

Greek Columnar Basil is my favorite, because it doesn't flower, grows in a tall neat shape and has a wonderful flavor & aroma. I have several rooted cuttings that I am keeping inside for the winter, and if you want some for US Priority postage I could do it. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Sun City Linda November 10, 2014 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=JoParrott;436862]Greek Columnar Basil is my favorite, because it doesn't flower, grows in a tall neat shape and has a wonderful flavor & aroma. I have several rooted cuttings that I am keeping inside for the winter, and if you want some for US Priority postage I could do it. Send me a PM if you are interested.[/QUOTE]

I was able to find and purchase Greek Columnar Basil this season after reading about it on TVille. I found it at the Bonnie display at Lowes. And it does root quite easily!

kayrobbins November 10, 2014 12:08 PM

Greek Coumnar is one of my favorites too but I did not mention it because the original post mentioned not liking strong tasting basil and I do consider it pretty strong. I love it because it stands up to heat and humidity. It is producing when my other basil gives up. I have cutting rooted for next season too.

Sun City Linda November 10, 2014 12:21 PM

Greek Columnar seemed like it had a fairly strong, typical basil taste to me also

Tormato November 10, 2014 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=ChristinaJo;436711]Thinking of trying new basils. I don't like the heavy clove/liquerish flavored ones. I guess I like the sweet,fruity, and citrus ones.
So, what are y'all's favs in the later catagories?[/QUOTE]

That would mean that Siam Queen is a no go, for you.

JoParrott November 11, 2014 01:06 AM

I don't consider Greek Columner to be strong- just "robust" - delicious to me ! I guess taste is in the mouth of the beholder ?

kayrobbins November 11, 2014 06:06 AM

[QUOTE=JoParrott;436928]I don't consider Greek Columner to be strong- just "robust" - delicious to me ! I guess taste is in the mouth of the beholder ?[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. There are so many basils to grow and the flavors are so different.
It also depends on how you are using it.

I always grow Holy Basil and African Blue to attract beneficial insects. Somewhere I got the idea that the African Blue was not a good culinary herb. I have a friend that owns an herb farm and recently she held a cooking class. She used the African Blue and is was delicious. Because she is getting up in years I go over and help her get ready for events and I always leave with a load of plants and cuttings since I would never let her pay me. Even better than the plants I walk away with so much information.

ginger2778 November 11, 2014 07:59 AM

[QUOTE=kayrobbins;436933]I agree with that. There are so many basils to grow and the flavors are so different.

I always grow Holy Basil and African Blue to attract beneficial insects. Somewhere I got the idea that the African Blue was not a good culinary herb. I have a friend that owns an herb farm and recently she held a cooking class. She used the African Blue and is was delicious. Because she is getting up in years I go over and help her get ready for events and I always leave with a load of plants and cuttings since I would never let her pay me. Even better than the plants I walk away with so much information.[/QUOTE]
That sounds like lots of fun, my kind of event.;)

kayrobbins November 11, 2014 03:31 PM

I like to serve herb infused wine when I have friends over for dinner. I recently served one bottle of pinot grigio infused with lemon basil and one with columnar basil. Everyone much preferred the lemon basil. I could only use lemon basil next time or if I use the columnar then I will pretty much have my own bottle of wine.

Father'sDaughter November 11, 2014 07:16 PM

[QUOTE=kayrobbins;436997] if I use the columnar then I will pretty much have my own bottle of wine.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how that would be a problem! ;-)

AlittleSalt November 12, 2014 12:19 AM

I guess seed companies and nurseries that send seeds and transplants to our part of Texas think we are cave-people?

Transplants and seed packs sold in local stores around here just read, "Basil!" I'm surprised the growing instructions on the back doesn't say, "Stick seed in dirt, water, grow, eat."

(My wife is laughing in the background.)

I had no idea there were different types and strains of basil. I have a basil plant growing in a pot a few feet away from me right now. Yes, the seed pack I planted it from just has, "Basil" written on it on the front of the pack. It smells really nice and like liquorish. I found out today - it does not like cold weather. I left it outside when the cold front came through.

ChristinaJo, thank you for making this thread. I have learned from it. Wish I could offer a favorite variety...if I knew there was a such thing.

greenthumbomaha November 12, 2014 08:06 PM

Harris Seeds has a few new to me basils that you might want to have a look at. I plant several varieties just for fun. They struggle indoors for me in the winter, but come to life once its warm enough to go outside in the sunshine. Sadly, last summer the transplants I started outside for taking indoors (the sweet basil type) got the fungus that causes spots and yellowing leaves. That never happened before. The holy basil is still going strong, but not what you are looking for with that pungent taste. It goes with many Thai type dishes but NOT Italian.

- Lisa

kurt November 12, 2014 09:13 PM

Spots/fungas

"got the fungus that causes spots and yellowing leaves."

If you are seeing a star shaped legion with a black interior it is caused by a leaf miner(blotched leaf miner).A member here(ChrisK)diagnosed it for me years ago.It is a little black fast moving fly that lays the egg then the leaf has a somewhat star shaped spot then eventually the whole leaf turns yellow.Removing affected leaves to stop life cycle and a spinosad spray regimen will stop it, takes time though.

- Lisa[/QUOTE]

kayrobbins November 13, 2014 06:41 AM

I got my first 2015 seed catalog in the mail yesterday. High Mowing Seeds has a new cold tolerant basil called Keira. I think I will order some seeds to try it. By the way, they are now offering free shipping on all US seed orders, no minimum.

drew51 November 13, 2014 08:14 AM

[QUOTE=kayrobbins;436933]I agree with that. There are so many basils to grow and the flavors are so different.

I always grow Holy Basil and African Blue to attract beneficial insects. Somewhere I got the idea that the African Blue was not a good culinary herb. I have a friend that owns an herb farm and recently she held a cooking class. She used the African Blue and is was delicious. Because she is getting up in years I go over and help her get ready for events and I always leave with a load of plants and cuttings since I would never let her pay me. Even better than the plants I walk away with so much information.[/QUOTE]

OK, so African Blue can't be grown from seeds, how do you keep it going?

kayrobbins November 13, 2014 04:26 PM

I take cuttings at the end of the season. They root very easily. I don't have a greenhouse so I put them in the room with the most sun. Mine are getting pretty big now so I will probably do more cuttings in January so they will be ready to go outside in March.

Hermitian November 13, 2014 05:19 PM

African Blue has 10x the concentration of essential oils compared to Italian. You can use it for pesto, but because such a small amount is needed (Tbsp leaves per quart pasta) you'll want to add other greens if you want a green colored outcome.

I highly recommend Greek Columnar Basil to everyone. It is hardier than Italian and Thai cultivars, a smaller leaf size than Italian, a slightly stronger flavor with a hint of black pepper flavor. In areas of intense summer heat (e.g., 100+) it will need shade from noon on. It is perennial in zone 10 and above. Original species is from Kenyan highlands.

kayrobbins November 13, 2014 05:32 PM

I grow Greek Columnar in full sun in Florida and it still does fine. We only get a few days that are 100, mainly just in the high 90s. I have cutting started for next spring already. I think if I could only grow one basil that would be the one. It doesn't seems to have issues with humidity and i have had no disease issues. Fortunately I can grow lots of basil so I don't have to make that tough decision.

drew51 November 13, 2014 06:02 PM

[QUOTE=kayrobbins;437162]I take cuttings at the end of the season. They root very easily. I don't have a greenhouse so I put them in the room with the most sun. Mine are getting pretty big now so I will probably do more cuttings in January so they will be ready to go outside in March.[/QUOTE]

So do you root them in water or soil? Thanks too, for the info! I have strong grow lights, so can grow indoors.

Hermitian, thanks for the suggestion. So i assume Greek Columnar Basil is different from Greek basil?

Labradors2 November 13, 2014 06:25 PM

Gee thanks Kay for mentioning that High Mowing has free shipping. That's going to cost me a pile of money {LOL}.

Linda

kayrobbins November 13, 2014 06:32 PM

[QUOTE=drew51;437168]So do you root them in water or soil? Thanks too, for the info! I have strong grow lights, so can grow indoors.

Hermitian, thanks for the suggestion. So i assume Greek Columnar Basil is different from Greek basil?[/QUOTE]

I use the same germinating mix that I start seeds in to root cuttings. I have T-8 lights but I am toying with the idea of getting some LED grow lights. I have been researching them but they are pricey.