Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Four O Clocks and Hornworms (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=41681)

JLJ_ June 12, 2016 09:56 AM

Four O Clocks and Hornworms

I've grown Four O Clocks in the past, and they did OK -- never seemed to come back well, just grew as annuals, though I was growing them in a warmer area than this -- but I was also even more frantically busy then and perhaps they didn't get enough care.

I suspect that they'd grow here as long as I dug the tubers in fall -- and abundant flowering in mid-late summer, especially once I had grown tubers to replant, is attractive -- but I'm somewhat concerned about who all they might attract.

I gather from discussions I've seen concerning them that they vary widely in fragrance. Whether this variation is due to genetic properties of the particular seed/strain planted or to some aspect of growing conditions I don't know. Does anyone?

And . . . if they did produce the delightful fragrance many report . . . how bad are they about attracting pregnant tomato hornworm parents to the area? Anyone noticed?

I've never had a hornworm problem -- but I believe the parent moth is generally listed as living throughout the 48 states as well as in southern Canada and parts of Mexico -- so I don't think I can't count on their not coming here unless they have an aversion to altitude?

And we don't have roadrunners to deal with them. Lots of magpies, which would probably like them, but I'm not sure they're adapted to tomato hornworm hunting.

Tracydr June 12, 2016 12:48 PM

I was thinking it was tobacco ( nicotania) that attracts hornworms.
I bet Remy knows. Maybe send her a message?

PhilaGardener June 12, 2016 01:18 PM

Four O'Clocks are a nectar source for the hornworm moth adult, but I'm not sure I would let that keep me from enjoying them.

Labradors2 June 12, 2016 01:34 PM

Four O'Clocks are supposed to kill Japanese Beetles! Too bad I never remember to plant the seeds early enough......

Linda

Tracydr June 12, 2016 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=Labradors2;568395]Four O'Clocks are supposed to kill Japanese Beetles! Too bad I never remember to plant the seeds early enough......

Linda[/QUOTE]

Okay,planting those next year for sure now!
I must have picked 100 of them off the asparagus this weekend.
Cool though that I got to see an assassin bug kill and eat one!

Worth1 June 12, 2016 04:38 PM

There are a lot of horn worm type worms out there not all of them eat tomato plants.
They have certain things they are attracted to and that is it.

Plus there is the tomato horn worm and the tobacco horn worm both will eat tomato plants but they aren't the same worm.
The moths even look somewhat like each other for many of these worms but they have slight variations to them.

Worth

Lastfling June 12, 2016 06:24 PM

[QUOTE=Labradors2;568395]Four O'Clocks are supposed to kill Japanese Beetles! Too bad I never remember to plant the seeds early enough......

Linda[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, wonder if the one I saw on my Four O'Clocks this morning had a death wish 😄

MissS June 13, 2016 09:03 PM

Japanese beetles are attracted to Four O'Clocks and eating the plants are fatal to the beetles too. I plant Four O'Clocks up and down my drainage ditch to keep the JP's numbers down. It seems to work pretty darn well.

Moths in general are attracted to flowers with scent. There are many types of Sphinx Moths which the tomato hornworm is only one of them. Not all of them are pests and need to be destroyed. In fact I actually enjoy having most of them around. They are fun to watch hovering through my gardens.

clkeiper June 15, 2016 10:09 PM

[QUOTE=MissS;568756]Japanese beetles are attracted to Four O'Clocks and eating the plants are fatal to the beetles too. I plant Four O'Clocks up and down my drainage ditch to keep the JP's numbers down. It seems to work pretty darn well.

[/QUOTE]

I never have heard this. What a treasure trove of information.

MissS July 6, 2016 10:31 PM

Well the Japanese Beetles have arrived in force here this week. I noticed one of my 4 O'Clocks was badly eaten. I looked under it and low and behold a pile of dead JB's. Yes! This is a plant for me.....

clkeiper July 7, 2016 07:16 AM

That is so awesome. I have a linden tree and red raspberries. Those nasty beetles devour everything.. or at least ruin it so I still have to pick and toss the berries. wasteful! ... what a nuisance they are but at least they have abated somewhat.

Worth1 July 7, 2016 07:58 AM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;575809]That is so awesome. I have a linden tree and red raspberries. Those nasty beetles devour everything.. or at least ruin it so I still have to pick and toss the berries. wasteful! ... [COLOR=Red]what a nuisance they are but at least they have abated somewhat.[COLOR=Black][/QUOTE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Black]They all went to the sushi bar[/COLOR][/COLOR].:lol:

Worth

JoParrott September 2, 2017 11:47 PM

I'm looking for a forum to get info on four o"clocks- can someone direct me? I'm looking for seeds for the multicolor or tie dye ones. Thanks

730dcm September 3, 2017 04:36 PM

You know they flowers are closed pretty much all the time only open in evening night and early morning. I bought the mix pack from rare seeds . Com

MissS September 3, 2017 05:21 PM

The seeds for the multi-colored flowers are available at most garden centers and box stores in the spring.