Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Stalking the Bombay Morich - does anyone know it? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=26859)

ScottinAtlanta March 3, 2013 11:03 AM

Stalking the Bombay Morich - does anyone know it?

1 Attachment(s)
I am working in Dhaka for a few weeks this year, and am determined to find the real Bombay Morich - a very hot pepper used in India and Bangladesh. I searched through an entire vegetable market today - but no Bombay Morich could be found. Apparently not in season. (Morich is Bangla for pepper.) Plenty of large red chili peppers, though.

Does anyone have experience with this pepper?
[B] [/B]

JamesL March 3, 2013 12:41 PM

Scott,
You truly are the world traveler. Can't help with the pepper, but it occurred to me your handle should be Scott in ??.

ChrisK March 3, 2013 01:54 PM

I am beginning to think Scott works for her Majesty's Secret Service!

I have a number of Indian colleagues, I will ask if they have a source.

kurt March 3, 2013 04:39 PM

My brother in law in PA after I asked him(he is a hot pepper fanatic)said the Bombay Morich is a sister to the Naga Morich from the Assam(or Assim)region in India.His consensus is that the Bombay is not a listed chinense cultivar but a Naga grown in the Bombay region.

Minnesota Mato March 9, 2013 12:10 AM

just got off pepperlover.com, they have the bombay morich for sale!

ScottinAtlanta March 9, 2013 05:53 AM

Thanks, folks, for all your comments. I saw the Bombay Morich on pepperlover, but I would prefer to spend $5000 on airfare and a week of time, rather than $5 on their seeds!

Kurt, interesting that the Bombay Morich is basically the Naga Morich. I wonder if there are regional differences? None of the sites I saw on this pepper mentioned Bangladesh as a source. I failed to find the pepper this time, but will find it in a few weeks.

GunnarSK March 9, 2013 09:14 AM

Don't know Bombay Morich, but will be sowing Naga Morich in a few days.

kurt March 9, 2013 09:31 AM

No expert,just passing info on from a "hot pepperphile"

[QUOTE=ScottinAtlanta;332800]Thanks, folks, for all your comments. I saw the Bombay Morich on pepperlover, but I would prefer to spend $5000 on airfare and a week of time, rather than $5 on their seeds!

Kurt, interesting that the Bombay Morich is basically the Naga Morich. I wonder if there are regional differences? None of the sites I saw on this pepper mentioned Bangladesh as a source. I failed to find the pepper this time, but will find it in a few weeks.[/QUOTE][url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Bhut_Jolokia[/url] Seems like the Naga is the mother of most of the worlds hottest peppers.If someone had the funds a DNA test series would/could tell the origins and claims.Bragging rights are as hot as the pepper itself.I have both Jamacian and Trinis(Trinidadians)who are original East Indians that call the hottest peppers "Nagas" without the surnames attached.The Trinis do claim and have the history of bringing the Naga to the west during thier migration.The only pepper I grow and eat is piper nigrum(black pepper)and a hot cherry pepper for the wife which I do not eat.Good Luck on your quest.

ScottinAtlanta April 6, 2013 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Score! Found the Bombay Morich today in a covered vegetable market in Dhaka. Here is a pic of the beast. Now to get some seeds back home. If anyone is interested in trying a few, drop me a pm.

guruofgardens April 7, 2013 11:42 PM

Thanks for the offer! PM sent.

ScottinAtlanta April 7, 2013 11:47 PM

The taste of this pepper is really quite amazing - very citrusy, almost like biting into a red hot orange. The heat is all there, but the flavor notes are strong. I intend to use it in making dry rubs for roasts and pork shoulder.

luke April 9, 2013 11:37 AM

That's a great idea for adding to a dry rub. PM sent.

Bladefan April 12, 2013 10:25 PM

Pm sent

gardenfrog April 17, 2013 10:08 PM

PM sent! : )

Tracydr April 17, 2013 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=ScottinAtlanta;338653]Score! Found the Bombay Morich today in a covered vegetable market in Dhaka. Here is a pic of the beast. Now to get some seeds back home. If anyone is interested in trying a few, drop me a pm.[/QUOTE]

I would love to try a few. I love the super hots!