Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   When do you give up waiting? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=49968)

Hatgirl January 18, 2020 06:29 AM

When do you give up waiting?

Most of my tomato seedlings pop up around day five. But some can be a little longer. How long do all of you wait before you accept a seedling isn't going to sprout?

kath January 18, 2020 07:45 AM

At about day 9 I'll sow more tomato seeds. For peppers, I sow earlier and give them 2 weeks before resowing.

ScottinAtlanta January 18, 2020 08:18 AM

I just had two moonflower seeds that I planted in the germination tray last year pop up through the peppers.

But if you are planting peppers, the superhots can take two weeks.

Hatgirl January 18, 2020 08:53 AM

Hah! And with that, one of the batch of unsprouted tomato seeds that prompted this post pops up on day 11. It heard me! :D

GoDawgs January 18, 2020 09:48 AM

Isn't that the way it goes! Sometimes I think plants have ears... "Well, now she's talking bad about us so we'd best get it in gear!" :lol:

Glad they popped!

ddsack January 18, 2020 11:05 AM

I'll re-sow around day 10, because I have a short window for growing out larger seedlings to set out for my shorter season, but I have had some come up - usually older seeds, after 14-19 days, so I don't throw them out. Almost always, seems like the old ones pop up right after I've sown the 2nd batch.:dizzy:

Tormato January 18, 2020 11:51 AM

I'd guess at about 40 days, but it would have to be a desperate attempt at germination of something rare or nearly impossible to find replaceable seed.

45% of my seeds germinate in 3 days, 45% in 4 days, less than 1% in 2 days, about 8% in 5-8 days. The last 1%, 9+ days, with the longest being 34 days.

Tormato

Who's in a daze, awaiting the first germinations to start in about 70 days.

kath January 18, 2020 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=Hatgirl;752610]Hah! And with that, one of the batch of unsprouted tomato seeds that prompted this post pops up on day 11. It heard me! :D[/QUOTE]

There you go! You never know.

kath January 18, 2020 12:24 PM

[QUOTE=ddsack;752614 Almost always, seems like the old ones pop up right after I've sown the 2nd batch.:dizzy:[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth?!

slugworth January 18, 2020 02:40 PM

2 weeks for some of them,even out of a same batch that were 5 days.
Made that mistake last year,gave up too soon and I ended up with
mystery plants from soil I tossed aside unlabeled.

Nan_PA_6b January 18, 2020 04:25 PM

I re-seed long before I give up. Once I had some seeds sprout 30 days after sowing. But the process usually goes like this:
Seed, wait about 10 days (1 seed per cell)

2nd seeding, wait about a week (1-2 seed per cell)

3rd seeding, (2-3 seeds per cell) wait 5 days, and repeat every 5 days until I run out of seeds or patience.

This year I'm only waiting 7 days max before re-seeding, and upping the number of seeds per cell. I ended up planting NAR 2 months late last year because I couldn't get a viable seedling.

slugworth January 19, 2020 10:09 AM

I start seeds in clumps,like in nature.
As the seeds pop and get too crowded I separate, tossing the original soil aside.
I don't have the patience or space for 1 seed per cell route.
Sometimes I save seeds on a paper plate and plant the entire plate.
Then I end up with a chia pet of all tomato plants.Survival of the fittest mode.
May the best plant win.

ContainerTed January 19, 2020 10:44 AM

The methods and "hardware" I use (seedling tray and plastic cups and mix) are not "recoverable" so I figure I can just let it go and tend to it like any other planting. Most of the time I'll start more at about day 21 (if I have more) and keep the original in a separate grouping of starts.

Last year was a total disaster for me when I encountered a bag of mix that killed everything. Replanting was good and hope was abounding. But then I had to have surgery and after getting a small percentage of my starts into the garden, even those didn't do well.

But, I've had seeds wait until week 7 to germinate. Patience is the first skill all gardeners must possess to keep our sanity.

I always start the older seeds first to give them a chance to come up with the fresh ones.

NarnianGarden January 20, 2020 03:07 PM

[QUOTE=Hatgirl;752607]Most of my tomato seedlings pop up around day five. But some can be a little longer. How long do all of you wait before you accept a seedling isn't going to sprout?[/QUOTE]

Never give up..

Some tomato seeds pop up after weeks or even months!
I get surprise babies every season..

edweather January 26, 2020 09:25 AM

If my starting mix is warm, 80F, will begin to add some supplemental seeds around day 6 or so. Very impatient.