Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   15 year old seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43931)

KarenO February 12, 2017 01:53 PM

15 year old seed

So happy! 15 years ago I was given a few seeds of a really great tomato. I have grown it out a number of times and have much fresher seeds but I had four of the original ones left and decided to see if they would germinate.
Paper towel soaked in dilute (1%) food grade hydrogen peroxide, placed in a baggie and kept warm. 3 days later, 3 out of 4 seeds showing a radicle!
Now to see if they grow well for me. I will pot them up today.
Zena's gift, a tomato that keeps on giving.
H2O2 is unstable and easily degrades producing water and oxygen. I believe the enhanced oxygen environment aids in germination along with the moisture and warmth.

KarenO:yes:

AlittleSalt February 12, 2017 02:05 PM

It is always fun seeing older seeds germinate and grow. My first one was Alston's Everlasting. The seeds were from 2003. I grew them in 2015. The taste was average, but still fun growing them.

ddsack February 12, 2017 02:22 PM

Good luck with them, Karen. How satisfying to know you've given them the right start! I might try your method on some very old seeds that I've not had success with so far.

Father'sDaughter February 12, 2017 02:35 PM

Yes, good luck with them. I was flipping through my seed notebooks last night and realized I have many seeds going on seven to eight years old. They are varieties I do hope to grow/grow again someday, and posts like this remind me I may still have plenty of time.

twillis2252 February 12, 2017 02:49 PM

Thanks for the information. Always interesting to see someone getting older seeds to germinate. Hope you are successful this season.

carolyn137 February 12, 2017 04:24 PM

The oldest seeds I ever woke up were 22 yo but right now I can't remember the name of the variety, but it's possible I might remember it

decided to google it and found it.:D

(I've awakened were 22 yo seeds of September Dawn)

Carolyn, just noting that when Craig L and I were getting seeds from the USDA station at Geneva,NY, when it was still possible to do that,many of the were DOA , I mean really dead.

One was Magnus, which was on the cover of the 1900 Livingston catalog, after several months I did get that one going and I just posted about that recently here at TV. The seeds from Magnus led to all seeds of Magnus known today.

[url]http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Magnus[/url]

Carolyn

Worth1 February 12, 2017 05:08 PM

Nothing spectacular about 15 year old seeds.
I have came to the conclusion due to the complaints about Burpees seed germination that they sell 15 year old seeds all of the time.
The expiration date really is the expiration date NOT one year old seeds.:lol:
I think my oldest is 25 years old from a Texas mountain laurel seed.
It is now growing in my yard I collected the seed in 1987 from the wild.

Worth

KarenO February 12, 2017 05:24 PM

micturate on my little parade all you like, Not only did it work but it worked in 72 hours on 3 out of 4 seeds.

:P

KarenO

slugworth February 12, 2017 05:37 PM

I am trying 10 year old seeds in h202, so far no progress.

KarenO February 12, 2017 05:40 PM

The seeds I am growing were saved by me so I know how old they are and I also know that is was a good batch of seeds properly saved and stored from the get-go
Age of the seed is a factor but only one of many. Even "fresh" seed won't germinate if improperly handled or stored.
KarenO

Worth1 February 12, 2017 05:48 PM

[QUOTE=KarenO;618324]The seeds I am growing were saved by me so I know how old they are and I also know that is was a good batch of seeds properly saved and stored from the get-go
Age of the seed is a factor but only one of many. Even "fresh" seed won't germinate if improperly handled or stored.
KarenO[/QUOTE]\
Stored in hot garage in packet no protection what so ever.
The still sprouted years later.

I'm happy your seeds spouted but what did you expect?
You know what you are doing.:)

Worth

KarenO February 12, 2017 06:23 PM

[QUOTE=slugworth;618322]I am trying 10 year old seeds in h202, so far no progress.[/QUOTE]

Hi there, what specific way are you going about it? I presume you are speaking about tomato seeds as I am?

KarenO

slugworth February 12, 2017 09:26 PM

Tomato seeds in an old pill bottle with straight peroxide on a warming tray.
50% of the seeds are still "floaters" and didn't sink to the bottom.
1 Dozen seeds to play with.Day 5

carolyn137 February 12, 2017 09:39 PM

[QUOTE=slugworth;618383]Tomato seeds in an old pill bottle with straight peroxide on a warming tray.
1 Dozen seeds to play with.Day 5[/QUOTE]

Most folks I know use peroxide just to treat seeds before they are sown, and that to eliminate any surface pathogen contamination.

When I posted above I think I mentioned what I do to wake up old seeds and sometimes I've had to wait several months before seeing anything and sometimes nothing germinates.

Old seeds are dehyrated so they need to be treated to rehydrate them first.Always stirring a couple of times a day.

I never treat old seeds under about 10 yo,but over that I will double sow,but these are usually seeds I've saved myself.

And yes, I do know that some advise using peroxide first, but that never worked well for me.

Carolyn

KarenO February 12, 2017 10:34 PM

[QUOTE=slugworth;618383]Tomato seeds in an old pill bottle with straight peroxide on a warming tray.
1 Dozen seeds to play with.Day 5[/QUOTE]

Perhaps try a couple of seeds on paper towel moist with 1% in a baggie as per the way I suggested in my original post.
Nothing to lose and it's quite different from placing seeds in liquid full strength peroxide. What strength and what kind? 3% standard drugstore type?

Best wishes.
KarenO