Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Short Season - What Peppers Do Best? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16830)

pdxwindjammer January 26, 2011 04:28 PM

Short Season - What Peppers Do Best?

I live in Portland, OR and we have a short season and other than a few heat waves, faily mild climate.

I had good success with Chinese 5 Color, Chervena Chuska and Hungarian Yellow Wax this past year but I want to try some others. I love both hot and sweet peppers.

For those of you who also have short seasons/cool climate, what peppers have you had great success with?

I just read the thread about someone starting their pepper seedlings. I didn't start mine until March last year but that thread got me thinking that maybe I will start in February.

Anyone else in short season areas already starting their pepper seedlings?

pdxwindjammer January 26, 2011 04:59 PM

BTW, I should note that the amount of days to grow in the seed calalogs are generally not accurate for this region. We tag on 10-15 days for Portland.

montanamato January 26, 2011 11:42 PM

I always start my peppers on Valentines...

Franks, Doe Hill golden Bell, Alcalde, and Alma paprika usually ripen in any season...

Jeanne

rxkeith January 27, 2011 10:07 AM

peppers that i had success with were socrates, jupiter, king of the north, healthy, jimmy nardello, bulgarian carrot, jalapeno. i had success with others as well. i stayed away from any 100+ day varieties.

keith

pdxwindjammer January 27, 2011 11:21 AM

Thanks Jeanne and Keith! Jimmy Nardello is already on my list but I hadn't heard of some of the other ones.

tjg911 January 27, 2011 06:16 PM

my season is not short or cool but gypsy is the bell pepper i grow. dtm is 65 and that's pretty fast. 1st it is yellowish green then orange then red, red takes another 14-18 days. very sweet and an excellent pepper. i like gypsy so much i don't bother with any other sweet peppers. i like corno di toro and giant marconi but gypsy is as good/sweet, faster to mature but the fruit is smaller.

b54red January 27, 2011 06:27 PM

For sweet peppers it is hard to beat Socrates for production, good size, great taste and it is fairly early. Hot peppers are more of a problem since most of the really hot ones seem to take a very long growing season. Sometimes Cayenne will make quickly and Jalapeno usually makes even earlier.

barbamWY January 27, 2011 10:41 PM

Zone 4 Wyoming: King of the North, Red Knight, Gourmet, Early Jalapeno, Serrano del Sol, Garden Salsa, Mucho Nacho, Peppino. I am not a fan of black plastic but I use it for peppers.

Tania January 27, 2011 11:53 PM

I am in PNW, and Piroska, Osmarsko Kambe, Somborka, Vanity Yellow, Culinar Paprika, and Bulharska Sladka perform great for me.

I agree that Chervena Chushka is great for our climate also.

Tania

pdxwindjammer January 28, 2011 12:37 AM

Lots of great ideas!

Barbam, unfortunately our community garden does not allow plastic mulch.

Tatiana, if memory serves me, you also have green houses? Wish I did but mine just go straight into the ground once I harden them off and the soil is warm enough.

Tania January 28, 2011 12:39 AM

yep, I grow peppers in cold frames. It helps me to get mature (red or yellow) fruit as early as July.

pdxwindjammer January 28, 2011 01:32 AM

:bummer: Yeah, that's what I thought. I don't have any cold frames so don't have that luxury.

Tania January 28, 2011 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=pdxwindjammer;196536]:bummer: Yeah, that's what I thought. I don't have any cold frames so don't have that luxury.[/QUOTE]

If my peppers reach maturity in cold frames in July, they should do well for you also, but will mature later.

TZ-OH6 January 29, 2011 07:39 AM

Yellow bumpy was a very early and productive "habanero" for me. Espanola Improved and Chimayo are both short season red/green NewMexican peppers.

pdxwindjammer January 29, 2011 01:10 PM

I googled the Yellow Bumpy and the info I found says 100+ days. It doesn't seem like anything over 90 days does well here in Portland. Sure sounds like a good tasting one, though!