Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Two Seeds in a Pod (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27254)

chancethegardener April 3, 2013 06:06 PM

I also started a Facebook page for the business at [url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Two-Seeds-in-a-Pod/270413839753882?ref=ts&fref=ts[/url] . Some of you may be interested in following it. I will use Facebook for posting more on a regular basis.

Also, I would greatly appreciate it if someone can let me know about the functionality of the webpage on their phones. I have tested it on my side and everything looks fine but your experience may differ. Thanks.

chancethegardener May 23, 2013 03:42 PM

Maras

1 Attachment(s)
The picture below belongs to Maras. A very hard to find Turkish heirloom from the city of Maras (located in the Mediterranean Region of Turkey). Traditionally grown for fresh eating, and for making pepper flakes. 65 days from transplant. Fruits are 3'' long average, light green, and deliciously and pleasantly hot.

I will release Maras, along with some other unique varieties, hopefully before this fall.

Redbaron May 23, 2013 09:32 PM

How hot are they chance?

chancethegardener May 24, 2013 10:59 AM

I would say less hot than Jalapeno. When eaten fresh, its spiciness doesn't last very long in mouth. In Maras, they let the fruits ripen and then process them for pepper flakes.

[QUOTE=Redbaron;350454]How hot are they chance?[/QUOTE]

lakelady May 25, 2013 01:23 PM

[QUOTE=chancethegardener;350389]The picture below belongs to Maras. A very hard to find Turkish heirloom from the city of Maras (located in the Mediterranean Region of Turkey). Traditionally grown for fresh eating, and for making pepper flakes. 65 days from transplant. Fruits are 3'' long average, light green, and deliciously and pleasantly hot.

I will release Maras, along with some other unique varieties, hopefully before this fall.[/QUOTE]

They look great! Do they turn red eventually? When I get the flakes they are a deep reddish maroon color, really beautiful.

chancethegardener May 25, 2013 02:46 PM

They are supposed to turn red, yes. In the region, not necessarily always only one specific variety is used to make pepper flakes but sometimes several different varieties are mixed altogether to derive a richer aroma. I am hoping that this variety will satisfy your taste buds. Not commercially available and doesn't have a variety name so I simply named it Maras to honor where it came from.

[QUOTE=lakelady;350938]They look great! Do they turn red eventually? When I get the flakes they are a deep reddish maroon color, really beautiful.[/QUOTE]

chancethegardener June 13, 2013 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another variety I will release this fall: Turkish Yaglik. Ripe fruits of this variety are used to make paste and sauces. Productive plants produce 4''-5'' long and 7''-8'' wide and sweet fruits with thick flesh. 90-100 days to maturity. Yaglik means "for paste."

Redbaron June 15, 2013 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=chancethegardener;356008]Another variety I will release this fall: Turkish Yaglik. Ripe fruits of this variety are used to make paste and sauces. Productive plants produce 4''-5'' long and 7''-8'' wide and sweet fruits with thick flesh. 90-100 days to maturity. Yaglik means "for paste."[/QUOTE]

Is that a sweet? And is it as big as it looks?

chancethegardener June 16, 2013 06:22 PM

Yes, this is a sweet variety and yes, it produces large fruits.

[QUOTE=Redbaron;356446]Is that a sweet? And is it as big as it looks?[/QUOTE]

chancethegardener June 20, 2013 04:58 PM

Urfa Bell

1 Attachment(s)
I consider the following pepper variety, Urfa Bell, is a very important find. A traditional variety from Eastern Turkey, Urfa Bell produces four lobbed, bell-shaped, dark green, medium hot fruits. Ripe fruits are used to make a dark maroon powder with a rich flavor, or for stuffing. Very rare. DTM is 75-80 days.

Redbaron June 20, 2013 05:09 PM

that looks yummy!:yes:

chancethegardener June 21, 2013 04:04 PM

Striped Ampoule

2 Attachment(s)
Striped Ampoule is one of the most prolific summer squash varieties I have ever grown. I plant two or more plants next to each other so that I can borrow male flowers on one plant to pollinate the female flowers on the other plant.

Fruits of this Turkish variety look like a bulb, as they become larger. 'Ampoule' is the French word for 'bulb', and was borrowed by Turkish as 'Ampul.' Large plants have beautiful foliage and are quite resistant to mildew. Traditionally used for frying. Taste best when the fruits are 8''-10''. 50-60 days to maturity.

Redbaron June 21, 2013 06:01 PM

[QUOTE=chancethegardener;357741]Striped Ampoule is one of the most prolific summer squash varieties I have ever grown. I plant two or more plants next to each other so that I can borrow male flowers on one plant to pollinate the female flowers on the other plant.

Fruits of this Turkish variety look like a bulb, as they become larger. 'Ampoule' is the French word for 'bulb', and was borrowed by Turkish as 'Ampul.' Large plants have beautiful foliage and are quite resistant to mildew. Traditionally used for frying. Taste best when the fruits are 8''-10''. 50-60 days to maturity.[/QUOTE]:wait: Yummy! Can't wait till next year! May have to try that one.

chancethegardener July 4, 2013 10:46 PM

I have been growing quite a few new varieties on a goat farm since mid-April. Here is a brief story about how I started doing it: [url]https://www.twoseedsinapod.com/blog/entry/growing-on-a-goat-farm[/url]

Redbaron July 5, 2013 12:15 AM

[QUOTE=chancethegardener;361062]I have been growing quite a few new varieties on a goat farm since mid-April. Here is a brief story about how I started doing it: [url]https://www.twoseedsinapod.com/blog/entry/growing-on-a-goat-farm[/url][/QUOTE]Very cool Chance!8-) You were holding out on us! Never knew you had such a set up!