Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Cutting Pampas Grass (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44464)

jtjmartin April 6, 2017 10:34 PM

Cutting Pampas Grass

I have huge clumps of Pampas Grass to cut back this weekend. Some must be 3 feet wide at the base. I have gas powered hedge sheers but I think this year I'm going to try my chainsaw.

I like the idea of tying the grass clumps up before I cut them - especially because the neighbors aren't too happy if the wind picks up!:twisted:

My problem: how do I increase the tension on the rope enough around these 3 foot wide and 10 feet high clumps to get a really solid tie?

HELP!:?!?:

imp April 7, 2017 03:53 PM

[QUOTE=jtjmartin;630117]I have huge clumps of Pampas Grass to cut back this weekend. Some must be 3 feet wide at the base. I have gas powered hedge sheers but I think this year I'm going to try my chainsaw.

I like the idea of tying the grass clumps up before I cut them - especially because the neighbors aren't too happy if the wind picks up!:twisted:

My problem: how do I increase the tension on the rope enough around these 3 foot wide and 10 feet high clumps to get a really solid tie?

HELP!:?!?:[/QUOTE]

Make a smaller loop in one end of the rope and slid the loose end through; tighten and tie off to something stable, even a pick up truck or other heavy object.

jtjmartin April 7, 2017 05:46 PM

Thanks, Imp. I will try using the weight of my car for some additional force.

mecktom April 7, 2017 06:15 PM

Jeff...I have used a chain saw May times to cut pampas grass...just take it slow with the saw and it will do a good job.
Gene

Worth1 April 7, 2017 06:33 PM

Butchers knot.
Worth

jtjmartin April 7, 2017 09:24 PM

Ok, off to animatedknots.com!

Will that type of knot tighten up a lot?

Worth1 April 8, 2017 01:57 AM

It should and stay tight.

Ken4230 April 8, 2017 06:14 AM

Cheap ratchet straps from Harbor Freight (4 for $10 sometimes)

I put one around the clump, snug it up and ratchet it down. If that's not tight enough, i use another one just below the first one. I leave both on until i get it to the compost pile.
It works really well for me and at my age, i don't need a lot of tugging and pulling.:no:

Ken

Ricky Shaw April 8, 2017 08:49 AM

Like Ken, I use the smaller ratchet tie-downs. My variety still has a lot of oats and messy when I chop them in February, so I put a 50gal trash bag over tightened bundle before I cut. Bagged and done.

Ricky Shaw April 8, 2017 09:05 AM

Pampas grass at 10ft around will require a larger bag. So, that part of the tip won't apply to everyone.

Worth1 April 8, 2017 09:26 AM

I had a huge mound of it in the back yard the drought killed it and I was happy to see it go.
It was filled with poison ivy and probably snakes like copperheads and rattlesnakes.
As much as I like snakes I was scared to walk around it.:lol:
The ratchet strap is the very best idea so far. :yes:
I forgot we lived in the 21st century.:roll:

Worth

Ken4230 April 8, 2017 01:21 PM

[QUOTE] I forgot we lived in the 21st century.:roll:
Worth[/QUOTE]

You would have been a natural in the 16th century, a regular Merlin, i would bet.
You'd probably have loved it, although depending on a big stick and a short piece of metal for survival is not quiet my cup of tea.

Ken

P.S. Love your work ethic, it's a rare commodity nowadays.

Worth1 April 8, 2017 02:30 PM

[QUOTE=Ken4230;630412]You would have been a natural in the 16th century, a regular Merlin, i would bet.
You'd probably have loved it, although depending on a big stick and a short piece of metal for survival is not quiet my cup of tea.

Ken

P.S. Love your work ethic, it's a rare commodity nowadays.[/QUOTE]

They would have burned me at the stake for witchcraft or heresy I have no doubt.:))
I would have fared better in the middle east, the birth place of math the written language learning and modern thinking of all things.
Even during the plague they knew some unseen thing was causing it not crazy stuff like the devil.

I have no idea what happened to that place it has baffled me for years. :?

As for the grass a scythe would make quick work of it too.:yes:

Worth

jtjmartin April 8, 2017 08:50 PM

Ken & Ricky:

Wow - I knew I would get some great ideas here. Off to Harbor Freight or the equivalent tomorrow morning for rachet tie downs. The garbage bag idea is killer too!

Thanks.

zeuspaul April 9, 2017 02:27 AM

I use a pair of long handled loppers.