Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Sticker Shock! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46334)

JoParrott December 26, 2017 10:17 PM

Sticker Shock!

[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I got 3 Seed catalogs today, and in browsing the Burpee pages I am having serious sticker shock! Just about all the veggie seeds start at $6.99 for about 20 seeds---outrageous- I haven't gotten very far along yet. I also got Jung's catalog, and am so sad that after I found some interesting potatoes, saw that they can't ship to WA. There aren't any sources here for varieties of seed potatoes. I have tried using store organic ones, but they didn't sprout well. I love fingerlings and yellows.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Rajun Gardener December 26, 2017 10:49 PM

Somebody might order some for you if you ask nicely...;)

JoParrott December 26, 2017 10:51 PM

How would that work?

JoParrott December 26, 2017 10:58 PM

Problem solved

[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My 3rd catalog arriving today was Johnny's---just found the potatoes, and they ship to WA---I don't understand that, but I am happy. Their 2018 catalog is beautiful-240 pages !! Some wonderful photos.[/FONT][/SIZE]

SueCT December 26, 2017 11:22 PM

I assume someone who lives in another state would order and receive them for you and then forward them to you when they got them. Those are crazy prices, by the way. Am I losing it or were they closer to 3.99/pk last year?

clkeiper December 27, 2017 08:55 AM

The only burpee's seeds I truly can afford are off the seed racks at the box stores. I am fabergasted at their catalog prices. But all potatoes are expensive to order out of a catalog. The shipping is terrible.

greenthumbomaha December 27, 2017 08:58 AM

Very expensive. Can you buy fingerlings at the organic food store and sprout those?

- Lisa

Worth1 December 27, 2017 09:14 AM

Any store potato will sprout if kept in a dark place.
You have to consider diseases though.
Worth

Rockandrollin December 27, 2017 10:04 AM

Seems like Farmer's Exchange in Kennewick had seed potatoes in the spring. Might give them a call to verify.

JoParrott December 27, 2017 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=Rockandrollin;675839]Seems like Farmer's Exchange in Kennewick had seed potatoes in the spring. Might give them a call to verify.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]They only have the regular potatoes- I ordered Russian Banana & Pinto Rose-

[/FONT][/SIZE]

JoParrott December 27, 2017 11:48 AM

[QUOTE=greenthumbomaha;675834]Very expensive. Can you buy fingerlings at the organic food store and sprout those?

- Lisa[/QUOTE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I did that last year and didn't get good results.[/FONT][/SIZE]

pmcgrady December 27, 2017 11:54 AM

I've ordered fingerlings from Grand Teton Organics in the past,
Fingerling assortment 5 lbs = $25 includes shipping or $12.20 lb for individual varieties.
This year I ordered from The Maine Potato Lady, fingerlings are $12.75 for 3 lbs plus shipping.
If you buy 50 lbs they are $2 lb plus shipping.

Cole_Robbie December 27, 2017 03:04 PM

I haven't ordered potatoes from them, but Morgan County Seed is almost always the lowest-priced option for me. Here's their site: [url]https://www.morgancountyseeds.com/the-catalog/[/url]

Selection is limited, and their shipping can be a little slow in the spring when they are busy, but they get great reviews overall.

Salsacharley December 27, 2017 03:20 PM

Reverse sticker shock...I just got a Gurney's catalog and everything in the whole catalog is 50% off. I've never used Gurneys so I don't know why the sent me a catalog. They have some cool trees.

pondgardener December 27, 2017 03:57 PM

The problem with Gurneys and some similar companies is that they mark up everything by 100% and then offer 50% off.