Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   2017 Container Garden-Tijuana, Baja California Norte, México (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44394)

Gerardo March 30, 2017 12:56 AM

2017 Container Garden-Tijuana, Baja California Norte, México
 
33 Attachment(s)
Starting a new thread to document progress.

Some work put in this weekend.

Two ends of my new wires, 4 total, about 5 m length each, 1/8 inch galvanized
Attachment 71128
Attachment 71129


Here are some trusses and assorted greenery, somewhat muted and upset after getting a dose of Copper fungicide early this AM.

Attachment 71095

Attachment 71096

Attachment 71097

Attachment 71098

Attachment 71099

Attachment 71100



Attachment 71102

Attachment 71103

Attachment 71104

Attachment 71105

Attachment 71106

Attachment 71107



Tumbling Tom doing well in a 1 gallon pot, new home soon.

Attachment 71101

A trio of Pravda
Attachment 71110

Dora, outstanding flavor
Attachment 71111

Fish L. Oxheart, Detskij Sladkij, OR117 (I hope they do great, last year it was like eating mangos)
Attachment 71112

Fred's TD and others
Attachment 71113

L to R, Fred's TD, Bushy Chab., Czech Bush
Attachment 71114

Gribovsky sharing home with Pink Gaetano
Attachment 71115

Harding x Choc Cherry
Attachment 71116

MoCross Elgin 9
Attachment 71117

More dwarfs
Attachment 71118

More koroleva
Attachment 71119

MX Midget, Gribovsky, and lots of peppers
Attachment 71120

koroleva with Donkey Ears and Serrano (overwintered)
Attachment 71121

rest of the row
Attachment 71122

Stormin Normin, what beautiful trusses you have
Attachment 71123

Pepper seeds I rescued from a tray mishap, they germinated better than their tray coddled counterparts, and show nice vigor despite being out at nights from day 1.

Separating these shortly, with careful dissection of the roots to minimize shock.

Some rare ones in here, all will be labeled Chile Misterio, which in another context can be read as unknown father.
Attachment 71124

Detskij Sladkij, Sladjik Ponchik waiting for new home, a pepper and Tastywines on the right.
Attachment 71125

Sweet Pepper, vigorous little plants. Can't wait to taste these and save seeds.
Attachment 71126

Syrian Goat Horn
Attachment 71127

Deborah March 30, 2017 01:18 AM

How on earth do you find the time to care for them all? And have a life? Impressive!

efisakov March 30, 2017 07:04 AM

Gerardo, how many varieties of tomatoes and how many varieties of peppers do you have growing at the moment? Just amazing.

ginger2778 March 30, 2017 08:25 AM

I can't get over all the work! And you never seem to get tired!
I haven’t tried Storming Norman, I did try Sinister Minister, it's brother. That was a great little cherry. Reverend Michael Keyes is another MF from that line, I am growing this current season, excellent.

Beautiful and enviable as usual. Sadly my tomato plants are starting to wind down but the mangoes pineapples, and bananas are cranking up fast.

Gerardo March 30, 2017 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deborah (Post 628431)
How on earth do you find the time to care for them all? And have a life? Impressive!

Thanks Deb, I work from my computer, so after a few hours of screen time I do an hour or two of garden work, keeps my head from exploding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by efisakov (Post 628448)
Gerardo, how many varieties of tomatoes and how many varieties of peppers do you have growing at the moment? Just amazing.

I haven't done a tally yet, just growing the things I like ad hoc. Guesstimating, I'd say about 140 tomato plants and 40 peppers. I still have room for some more, and then there's the cukes to consider. Gonna be a busy spring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginger2778 (Post 628453)
I can't get over all the work! And you never seem to get tired!
I haven’t tried Storming Norman, I did try Sinister Minister, it's brother. That was a great little cherry. Reverend Michael Keyes is another MF from that line, I am growing this current season, excellent.

Beautiful and enviable as usual. Sadly my tomato plants are starting to wind down but the mangoes pineapples, and bananas are cranking up fast.

Cool to hear it's from the same line Marsha 'cause I enjoyed RMK. I do get tired, it's just that gardening substitutes for gym time.

A few questions Marsha, since you are our FL ambassador.

How many months do you have to shut down due to heat?
Do only the tropicals grow during that period?
Do people still grow things in controlled environments?

AKmark March 30, 2017 02:07 PM

Nice work, I hope you have a fantastic crop, lots of flavors in there.

Jimbotomateo March 30, 2017 02:34 PM

Love it all Gerardo!. Glad you have the energy to create and maintain that great garden environment! I have four fence posts and would like to copy your cable system. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, . Jimbo

Gerardo March 30, 2017 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKmark (Post 628506)
Nice work, I hope you have a fantastic crop, lots of flavors in there.

Thanks Mark, lots of variety and with some staggered plantings the crop should start in July and continue into December.

BTW, my Odoriko from the same packet have not come up and it's been 14+ days. I may have sent you duds.

ginger2778 March 30, 2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerardo (Post 628505)
Thanks Deb, I work from my computer, so after a few hours of screen time I do an hour or two of garden work, keeps my head from exploding.



I haven't done a tally yet, I just growing the things I like ad hoc. Guesstimating, I'd say about 140 tomato plants and 40 peppers. I still have room for some more, and then there's the cukes to consider. Gonna be a busy spring.



Cool to hear it's from the same line Marsha 'cause I enjoyed RMK. I do get tired, it's just that gardening substitutes for gym time.

A few questions Marsha, since you are our FL ambassador.

How many months do you have to shut down due to heat?
Do only the tropicals grow during that period?
Do people still grow things in controlled environments?

Usually every tomato is done by June, then I am starting new seeds at around the last week August, so 2 months? Cucumbers, chard and Okra do very well in the heat, and peppers limp along producing a little. Diehards even grow Everglades tomatoes here in the summer, they will set fruit, sparingly. I can't be bothered, it takes about 20 to make a spoonful, and the stem end skin tears when you pick them.
Some people grow in greenhouses that they actually air conditioning, but those are the pro growers. I would hate to see their electric bill, lol!

wildcat62 March 30, 2017 02:51 PM

Great pics

Gerardo March 30, 2017 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo (Post 628508)
Love it all Gerardo!. Glad you have the energy to create and maintain that great garden environment! I have four fence posts and would like to copy your cable system. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, . Jimbo

It's pretty simple to hook up. The only tip I can offer is to use vise grips for the initial stringing up. That is to say, after you've created your 1st loop on one end and are starting the process on the other end, put the wire through the eye and then hold it there with a good pair of vise grips.

The vise grips will hold the wire taut while you apply the wire rope clamps, allowing you to get it nice and tight.

My materials were cheap, as I bought some things on the US side and the metalworks on the MX side.

The wood was at a decent price, untreated for 77 pesos, about 4.50 USD. The buried-cemented end I doused with diesel to prolong the life a bit, probably won't make a difference.

Ironically, cement mix is cheaper in the US, so I went with the $3-4 quickrete for 90 lbs, used up 3 bags for 8 poles.

The wire itself was 11 pesos per meter, so about 60 cents USD per yard.

The closed loops were about 50 cents USD, and the most expensive item was the tensioner, running a whopping 57.40, which comes out to 3 USD.

It's relatively simple to install, and if you're tool oriented, I don't foresee you having any issues.

Gerardo March 30, 2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginger2778 (Post 628511)
Usually every tomato is done by June, then I am starting new seeds at around the last week August, so 2 months? Cucumbers, chard and Okra do very well in the heat, and peppers limp along producing a little. Diehards even grow Everglades tomatoes here in the summer, they will set fruit, sparingly. I can't be bothered, it takes about 20 to make a spoonful, and the stem end skin tears when you pick them.
Some people grow in greenhouses that they actually air conditioning, but those are the pro growers. I would hate to see their electric bill, lol!

Good to hear. I'm considering a move to more tropical climates so I may join you in your Caribbean heat endeavors.

Those electric bills must be something.

Are there flowers that do well during those two months?

PS. copper has been working out great, I only fried them once when I got a little too generous with the blue stuff. At 50 to 75% strength, it's awesome.

Gerardo March 30, 2017 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildcat62 (Post 628513)
Great pics

Thank you!

Jimbotomateo March 30, 2017 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerardo (Post 628516)
It's pretty simple to hook up. The only tip I can offer is to use vise grips for the initial stringing up. That is to say, after you've created your 1st loop on one end and are starting the process on the other end, put the wire through the eye and then hold it there with a good pair of vise grips.

The vise grips will hold the wire taut while you apply the wire rope clamps, allowing you to get it nice and tight.

My materials were cheap, as I bought some things on the US side and the metalworks on the MX side.

The wood was at a decent price, untreated for 77 pesos, about 4.50 USD. The buried-cemented end I doused with diesel to prolong the life a bit, probably won't make a difference.

Ironically, cement mix is cheaper in the US, so I went with the $3-4 quickrete for 90 lbs, used up 3 bags for 8 poles.

The wire itself was 11 pesos per meter, so about 60 cents USD per yard.

The closed loops were about 50 cents USD, and the most expensive item was the tensioner, running a whopping 57.40, which comes out to 3 USD.

It's relatively simple to install, and if you're tool oriented, I don't foresee you having any issues.

That's cheating Gerardo :lol:. Wish I could pop over the border and score some stuff.:lol:. Materials I mean.:roll:. That tensioner price blows my mind! . Never would have thought of vise grips. I haven't used mine in years.:lol:. Thanks . Jimbo :)

TexasTycoon March 31, 2017 04:27 PM

Gerardo, your garden is always so impressive. Can't wait to see how the season fares for you. Thanks for sharing!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:47 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★