Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   My Rebuilt Raised Beds (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47666)

carcharoth12 June 11, 2018 08:47 PM

My Rebuilt Raised Beds

5 Attachment(s)
I got my raised beds all rebuilt.I used inch and half thick by 12 inch wide boards to make the rows.The first few pictures are the rows with my indeterminate tomatoes and they are 26 feet long and the tomatoes are spaced on 2 foot centers.The other 2 rows are 40 feet long and are full of determinate type tomatoes on 18 inch centers.The lumber that I have around some of the tomatoes themselves (all the will have boards around them)are to hold my drip irrigation in place and they also act as a sort of mulch.I know the tomatoes are not that big yet but we still had frost on the 20th and 21st of may but they will catch up soon.

SQWIBB June 11, 2018 09:41 PM

Looks great

greenthumbomaha June 12, 2018 12:22 AM

So neat and organized! Is that your garden soil in the boxes?

carcharoth12 June 12, 2018 06:03 PM

The soil is actually from a friend of mine whose dad used to have a dairy farm and now has beef cattle.Its a combo of topsoil and manure .He gave me 2 loads (yes free of charge) on my f450 dump truck so about 8 yards.Ive used it in the past it works great for my tomatoes.:D

imp June 12, 2018 06:33 PM

Great soil! Back in east Texas, I grew one of my best gardens on an area where cattle had been fed for years; those plants just jumped and produced so much I could not keep up at all. Looks great and a good tomato year to you.

SteveP June 12, 2018 06:41 PM

I see a LOT of tomatoes in your future. What varieties are you growing?

cjp1953 June 12, 2018 06:58 PM

Looks great,are you near some woods?I like how you built your raised beds.:)

carcharoth12 June 12, 2018 08:00 PM

[QUOTE=SteveP;703975]I see a LOT of tomatoes in your future. What varieties are you growing?[/QUOTE]
For indeteminates I have Big Beef,Early Girl,Beefmaster,Bonny Best,Moneymakers,Carbon,Early Pick and Chefs Choice Orange.For Determinates I have alot of Red Deuce plus some Florida 91,Bhn589,Bella Rosa,Chargers and Biltmore.I also have two types of cherry tomatoes Sun Sugar and Sweet Million.For a total of 132 plants

PhilaGardener June 12, 2018 08:56 PM

Those look great - I wish I could get my hands on wood like that! Are you near a good sawmill?

carcharoth12 June 12, 2018 09:59 PM

[QUOTE=PhilaGardener;703985]Those look great - I wish I could get my hands on wood like that! Are you near a good sawmill?[/QUOTE]
I am actually a logger in Ontario Canada and I own a woodmizer Lt40Hd sawmill so lumber is basically free for my own use

ddsack June 12, 2018 10:47 PM

Nice job on your set up! It would be a pleasure to grow tomatoes there. :arrow:

taboule June 15, 2018 06:14 AM

Nice garden and property, tucked in the forest. You're lucky and blessed to work with wood. Great pile of cut-up trunks. I look at it and think: lots of hot fires, chunks/sticks for smoke cooking/barbecuing, turned tool handles...

Happy gardening.

carcharoth12 July 15, 2018 07:26 PM

Update to my raised beds

7 Attachment(s)
An update on how my tomatoes are doing,I tried to take photos from roughly the same spots so I could tell how much they have grown.I think my drip irrigation is helping alot

ddsack July 15, 2018 09:37 PM

I am very impressed with your lush growth and disease free leaves! I can only imagine the many hours of work building those beds and hauling and shoveling the dirt to fill them! You're getting a nice reward for all your effort! :cute:

carcharoth12 July 17, 2018 12:57 PM

I am lucky that I don't have any diseased plants yet as leaf spot and early blight can be bad here.I think the reason for that is it has been very hot 90+ and we have had no rain for 3 plus weeks and i have removed every branch that can touch the ground:cute: