Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   any chain stores selling "sugar ann" or "romano capitano"? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46613)

Nan_PA_6b February 7, 2018 03:52 PM

any chain stores selling "sugar ann" or "romano capitano"?

Hi, are there any physical stores selling Sugar Ann snap pea seeds or Romano Capitano yellow bean seeds? I under-bought.:oops:

TIA,
Nan

rhines81 February 7, 2018 04:38 PM

I thought I saw Sugar Ann at either Tractor Supply or Lowe's last weekend.

Nan_PA_6b February 7, 2018 05:44 PM

Great! I can check Lowe's tomorrow. Thanks!

Nan

greenthumbomaha February 7, 2018 07:10 PM

Is it time to start pea and bean seeds in your area, wow, early!

Lowes and Home Depot both have B1G1 seed sales early in the season if you can wait the month out. Keep checking the weekly flyers or their respective websites. For big seeds like beans and peas, they usually have large packs for not much more than the tiny ones.

You might also check independent hardware stores such as Ace Hardware, or small garden centers. They often have a different selection of Burpee seeds or brands such as Olds, Lake Valley, Livingston. Prices are reasonable on the indies and I enjoy the varieties they offer. They are already stocked, even in my zone.

- Lisa

Nan_PA_6b February 7, 2018 09:31 PM

It's nowhere near planting time, Lisa. I'm just trying to get all my seeds in a row. Seeds are in the stores here now, though. I guess I'll have to go on a shopping expedition.

Nan

rhines81 February 8, 2018 05:43 AM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;681837]It's nowhere near planting time, Lisa. I'm just trying to get all my seeds in a row. Seeds are in the stores here now, though. I guess I'll have to go on a shopping expedition.

Nan[/QUOTE]

I'll be starting my peas indoors on 2/24 and 3/10 here in Zone 5A. I'll transplant 20 plants each on 3/24 and 4/7, as well as direct sow 20 more each time. I always have intentions to replant in mid-July but never seem to get around to it - usually a little too warm for peas by then anyhow.

Nan_PA_6b February 8, 2018 10:46 AM

I've just always direct-sown my peas. Do you have to harden them off? It would be a big shock to them going from 68F to 30's & 40's outside, wouldn't it?

Nan

Labradors2 February 8, 2018 11:17 AM

I probably shouldn't mention this, but Seedsnow.com have Sugar Ann and free shipping :)

Linda (the enabler)

MickyT February 8, 2018 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;681879]I've just always direct-sown my peas. Do you have to harden them off? It would be a big shock to them going from 68F to 30's & 40's outside, wouldn't it?

Nan[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna be direct sowing my peas this weekend. In past years I did start some inside and transplanted them without much hardening off. To my surprise they took to transplanting well and didn't have any issues going from 68F to High 30s and constant rain outside.

rhines81 February 8, 2018 04:52 PM

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;681879]I've just always direct-sown my peas. Do you have to harden them off? It would be a big shock to them going from 68F to 30's & 40's outside, wouldn't it?

Nan[/QUOTE]

A week or two after they sprout I put them in my unheated sunroom until transplant. Plenty of sunlight and night time temperature are similar to outdoors, day time is warmer than outside.
If it's a nice day out, I might put a tray of them outside on the deck.
Haven't had a transplant issues yet and I get peas early.

Nan_PA_6b February 8, 2018 10:47 PM

Thank you, Linda (you enabler, you!):twisted:

Nan

Nan_PA_6b February 10, 2018 07:56 PM

OK, Situation resolved.

Nan