Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Gleckler Seedmen is Back (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=12923)

amideutch December 20, 2009 08:52 AM

Gleckler Seedmen is Back

Gleckler Seedmen is an old respected retailer of tomato seeds that fell to the wayside and was brought back to life last year by the founders son with a limited selection of toms. Carolyn Male started and championed a thread in the "Wanted Varieties" Forum entitled "I Need Help" soliciting we members for seed donations of various tomato varieties to get Adam Gleckler on his feet, which we did in an exemplary manner. Here is the updated site with an exciting list of new Tomato varieties for Glecklers that should appeal to the tomato growing masses. Ami

[url]http://www.glecklerseedmen.com/Tomato-Yellow-Orange-_Bi-colored_Fruited/storepage80686.aspx[/url]

farmall December 20, 2009 09:09 AM

Gleckler Seedmen

We would like to Thank everyone who sent us seeds last year.If anyone see's any discrepencies in the descriptions please let us know. We are currently still uploading pictures and will also be adding some peppers,squash and watermelon.

Ami,
Thank You for all your help. It is greatly appreciated!
Adam Gleckler

travis December 20, 2009 09:20 AM

Very nice selection with undoctored pictures showing tomatoes obviously grown in normal field conditions, which is helpful and honest. The text accompanying the pictures is in serious need of editing to correct many typos and misspellings. However, I have just trashcanned orders to two other commercial vendors and will order from Gleckler instead!

ContainerTed December 20, 2009 10:48 AM

Very Nice site, Adam. A few spelling issues, but it's looking good. I might also suggest giving cherry tomatoes their own main link like Pink, Red, and Black toms, or, alternatively, include the cherry types under their color.

I couldn't help feeling a sense of pride in seeing all four of the varieties I donated listed (that's my germination % feedback). I think anyone who gives a tinker's hoot about the stuff they send out to others feels the same.

Well, it's time to open a bottle of very good wine and toast this "rebirth" we have all been privileged to witness. "May the winds of business be strong, yet gentle, and always fill your 'sales'.(pun intended)

Ted

farmall December 20, 2009 12:38 PM

Thanks Ted and Travis. My wife will be working on all my typos. I did better in sciance, FFA, and math than english in school. our web site has been a pain in the but, the way it sets the tomat catagories up. I've been working on that I should get everything straightened out here soon
p.s I will be sending everyone who sent me seed a packet of our new variety Angora Orange when things slow down here a little bit.

Thanks
Adam Gleckler

carolyn137 December 20, 2009 12:57 PM

And I pulled up the Gleckler thread in the Dicussions section this AM to say the same.

Adam sent me an e-mail this AM asking if I could read through the blurbs and see if any corrections should me made so I'm going to ask that those of you who sent varieties to Adam check them out for him.

And I'm going to make the same request in the thread in the Discussion Forum.

So if you see anything that need correcting please post it here of there and I'll make a list and send all comments from this Forum and the discussion Forum back to Adam at one time.

Good work Adam, for there are many varieties you list that can't be found anywhere's else.

Tania December 20, 2009 03:18 PM

Adam,

I am glad to see the old seed vendors are coming back - thank you for the tremendous work that you and your family has done to bring the company back to life!

A couple of comments about the website navigation:
- Yellow and orange tomatoes are only appearing from Red tomatoes page
- same for Cherry tomatoes - the link is only available from green-when-ripe page.

I think you probably wanted them to appear on the left-hand side in the navigation menu?

I have not read all the blurbs, but I noticed that you describe Whippersnapper tomato as indet. I see lots of SSE members listing it as det. and/or compact plant, suitable for hanging baskets.

Tania

Tania December 20, 2009 03:31 PM

Adam,

There is a typo in the variety name:
'Schmatzefien' - it should be 'Schmatzef[B]ei[/B]n' - at least this is how it is spelled in the SSE Yearbooks and by Reinhard Kraft.

What does the word mean? I am not sure, as I do not know German... but google translator comes with something similar to 'fine dinner' or 'savory dinner'...

Tania

clara December 20, 2009 04:22 PM

Tania, "schmatzen" is a verb and means "eat noisily" and "fein" is "fine".

Whippersnapper IS det. and best for being used in hanging baskets. You can expect about 300 cherries from a basket/pot of 30 centimeters in diameter. clara

carolyn137 December 20, 2009 05:06 PM

Folks, I have no idea if Adam is going to come back and read what's been posted for him, so I'll ask him about that in terms of if he wants to come back and copy stuff down or if he wants me to do so in case he doesn't have the time to come back and read here.

Actually I think I'll em him tonight about that.

nctomatoman December 20, 2009 05:42 PM

First thing I noticed is that Cherokee Purple is listed as PL...but it is regular leaf. the PL "version" of Cherokee Purple should not really have that as a name, since the true Cherokee Purple is not PL.

Tania December 20, 2009 07:59 PM

Rhodes heirloom should be 'Rho[B]a[/B]des Heirloom'.

Tigerella name has a typo.

Thesaloniki should be Thessaloniki, with 2 's'.

amideutch December 21, 2009 01:09 AM

Adam, if the Cherokee Purple PL came from me you can change the name to "Spudakee Purple" with the (Cherokee Purple PL) in parenthesis and reference this variety to Bill Malin who discovered it around the same time that Baker Creek started offering it's Cherokee Purple PL if my memory is correct. Ami

dice December 21, 2009 01:57 AM

-Anna Marias Heart (variety name)
+Anna Maria's Heart (apostrophe)

patty_b December 21, 2009 09:26 AM

Wondering which came first, RL or PL of Japan Tomato Tree. I have only gotten the RL's. It's a great yellow. Patty