Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Diagnosis help! (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47784)

Runningwater June 27, 2018 05:16 PM

Diagnosis help!

6 Attachment(s)
came back from a week long vacation and found some of my tomatoes doing this? Any ideas? Poison? It shouldn't have gotten drift from anything. Fungal? I've got raspberries and mint with funny but different looking stuff right near the tomatoes going on as well? Any help or insight greatly appreciated!

Labradors2 June 27, 2018 05:21 PM

It looks like herbicide drift :(.

Linda

Runningwater June 27, 2018 05:45 PM

that's kind of what I thought but don't see how. Just ride it out and see if they somewhat recover, or cut back the more damaged areas? About half my tom plants look unaffected.

Patihum June 27, 2018 06:49 PM

Herbicide can travel long distances - it could be someone 1/4 mile away or farther. Since it's affecting different species of plant I'd just about bet on it.

clkeiper June 27, 2018 09:38 PM

yep... I agree. herbicide drift can travel up to and maybe even farther than a mile depending on the droplet size, humidity and wind.

and maybe even remove the wilted portion and a bit more...
tomaotes are very sensitive to 2-4D. even smelling it in the air is enough to do damage to the plants. what you have looks like someone probably sprayed their lawn for weeds.

mdvpc June 28, 2018 07:51 AM

Did you use any compost or manure?

svalli June 29, 2018 03:13 AM

This summer many home gardeners here in Finland have had similar growth on tomatoes. After researching it was determined to be caused by sugar beet molasses or vinasse in some organic tomato fertilizers. Clopyralid which is similar to aminopyralid is used on the sugar beet fields in Europe. People who asked more information from local agriculture administration or the fertilizer suppliers found that the fertilizers have not been tested for herbicide residue.
Have you used molasses or some organic fertilizer, which could have herbicide residue?

Sari

zipcode June 29, 2018 03:29 AM

There was in Okotest a few years ago, tests on (random?) bio fertilziers. They ranged from 2-3 to like 7 pesticide traces plus various radioactive metals. Even from Compo (quite expensive, supposedly german quality etc). Neudorff still seems pretty solid (they are also expensive though).

svalli June 29, 2018 04:31 AM

Some people here have got the symptoms also with Neudorff's liquid tomato fertilizer, which contains vinasse. Since it has not happen to all users of the same fertilizer, it was concluded that it may be related to a manufacturing batch.

NarnianGarden June 29, 2018 05:26 AM

I still have two bottles from different manufacturers, one from Neudorff and the other from another brand. Very hesitant to use either of them, although I do remember using them last year without hiccups. But I always dilute heavily, more than suggested for the recommended dosage...