Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Alliums (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Almost time for planting garlic in Mid-Atlantic (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38618)

roper2008 October 4, 2015 10:00 PM

Almost time for planting garlic in Mid-Atlantic

I have some Music garlic that I saved from my last harvest, ready to plant in
the middle of this month. I also grabbed some Spanish Roja from a garden
center today. Going to also replant some shallots from this summer's harvest.
Are you all getting ready for garlic or shallots?

PhilaGardener October 4, 2015 10:01 PM

Add a nice topdressing of compost and you should be set!

Ricky Shaw October 4, 2015 10:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my replant stock, end of October's when I try to get it in. I only grow a couple dozen bulbs and this year's was largest, juiciest, and most flavorful yet.

I don't even know what kind, it was given to me 7 or 8 years ago and I've kept it going. It was a customer, and this garlic came with a long story how it came over with family, on the boat. I feel as if I'd be letting his family down by not growing it, although I don't even know his last name.

SueCT October 4, 2015 10:32 PM

I was calling around for garlic seeds today. I hope to plant some for the first time this year. Music is one of the varieties Agway has. They have Chesnok and German Red also, so I was thinking of buying some of each. But I was told to plant Nov. 1. Does it matter?

Ricky Shaw October 4, 2015 10:41 PM

I'm sure the point would be for the soil to have cooled off enough to not stimulate excessive growth. We've usually had a frost by the first week of October, and snow by Halloween is better than a 50/50 bet.

To say, I don't know what it's like there.

roper2008 October 5, 2015 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=SueCT;507661]I was calling around for garlic seeds today. I hope to plant some for the first time this year. Music is one of the varieties Agway has. They have Chesnok and German Red also, so I was thinking of buying some of each. But I was told to plant Nov. 1. Does it matter?[/QUOTE]

I think it is different depending on your zone. My average frost date is somewhere
between Nov 11th-26.
Actually mid-Oct is too soon for my zone. I should probably plant end of Oct to
beginning of Nov.

Father'sDaughter October 5, 2015 09:00 AM

I usually plant during the last half of October here in the Northeast, but the past few years it has started getting colder earlier. It used to be that we could make it through all or most of October before having to turn on the heat in the house, but lately we're lucky if we can make it through September.

My garlic did not do well this year, so I may plant out as early as next weekend. Ideally you want the garlic to establish some roots, but you want little to no top growth before winter sets in.

roper2008 October 5, 2015 09:01 AM

[QUOTE=Ricky Shaw;507660]Here's my replant stock, end of October's when I try to get it in. I only grow a couple dozen bulbs and this year's was largest, juiciest, and most flavorful yet.

I don't even know what kind, it was given to me 7 or 8 years ago and I've kept it going. It was a customer, and this garlic came with a long story how it came over with family, on the boat. I feel as if I'd be letting his family down by not growing it, although I don't even know his last name.[/QUOTE]

If it works good in your area. I would stick with it.

TightenUp October 5, 2015 10:18 AM

here in NJ the garlic gets planted last week oct or first week nov. Has worked well the last few years