Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   MAGTAG™ XII - 2017 (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Gosh, I've still got tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=12620)

hank November 2, 2009 06:47 PM

Gosh, I've still got tomatoes

No freeze yet. The maters are about gone, but among the many bad ones, I can still find enough to keep me making sandwiches that include them. Mountain Fresh, Emily, and a couple of others I have not a clue about their heritage. This has been a gosh year with weather and diseases. Anyway, I will miss the tomatoes when they're gone. I miss you all too. Hank

Cecilia_MD7a November 3, 2009 11:00 AM

Mine are mostly done. I made a green tomato casserole last week, which was pretty good. I still have a few maters that look like they might ripen inside. With all the rain, I still haven't had time to pull up the cages!

Barbee November 3, 2009 11:40 AM

Mine are done, the cages/stakes pulled up and stored, and soil samples mailed out for next year. All this rain has me super organized I guess? ;)

matertoo November 3, 2009 08:04 PM

Mine are about gone. I'm in the process of pulling up stakes and storing cages. I really do like the way that the Texas Tomato Cages fold up for storage. I've got 30 cages folded and hung under the stairs of my deck.
Takes hardly any space.

Got to finalize my list for 2010 and make sure I have the seeds.

Happy Matering,

Paul

Barbee November 3, 2009 08:08 PM

Paul, I'm not even going to think about seeds till after the holidays. If I start now, I'll be wanting to start seeds Jan 1 LoLoL

matertoo November 3, 2009 08:17 PM

Barbee:

What can I say? I'm hooked. Tomatos Anonymous anyone? I will be miserable until I can start my seeds in February. Some one should've warned me. I'm in for a hard time as I go through tomato withdrawal. Help me!!

Happy Matering,

Paul :( :(

RJ_Hythloday November 3, 2009 09:04 PM

Picked 7 Black from Tula in the last week. All of my maters 'cept a late transplant and a volunteer have fruit on them.

icelord November 3, 2009 09:28 PM

You guys are killin me! My fields are tore up and manured for next year no big snow yet but anyday! Eat a nice one for me!

Icelord

don't they have one of these smillies shivering?

RJ_Hythloday November 4, 2009 03:39 PM

[quote=icelord;147104]You guys are killin me! My fields are tore up and manured for next year no big snow yet but anyday! Eat a nice one for me!

Icelord

don't they have one of these smillies shivering?[/quote]
How bout this one? [img]http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp96/Evyb2/Smilies/Shivering.gif[/img]

hank November 5, 2009 07:36 AM

Green tomato caserole

Cecilia,
My wife asked me to ask if you would share the recipe. Thanks. Hank
g[quote=Cecilia_MD7a;147044]Mine are mostly done. I made a green tomato casserole last week, which was pretty good. I still have a few maters that look like they might ripen inside. With all the rain, I still haven't had time to pull up the cages![/quote]

RJ_Hythloday November 5, 2009 11:43 AM

:twisted: :? :twisted: :cry: :twisted: :love: :twisted: :dizzy: :twisted:
My wife was showing a friend the garden (I wasn't home) and picked her a green tomato (Old German took all season to set fruit. 1 small, 2 big, all green) I had post blush tomatos in the house...

ruet November 5, 2009 12:50 PM

Here in Madrid frost is on the horizon, first frost is due Monday. Still have 150+ CP, Costoluto Genovese, Black Cherry and some mystery Cherry Pear tomatoes left on the vine. Will probably have to pick them all on Sunday and start cleanup.

Already scouting seed sources though. :D

Cecilia_MD7a November 6, 2009 09:51 AM

Hank, I'm posting the green tomato casserole under "Tomato Recipes." It's a simple layered one.

I picked all my greenies and plant to pull everything up this weekend (sniff, sniff.)

Marko November 8, 2009 03:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine are gone too, but I had one Bloody Butcher in a large barrel, protected from rain and still have a few ripening fruits on the counter. We had some light frosts, but my garden is quite protected, so my peppers are still alive (no chance of ripening at these temeratures :twisted:).
I still have some seeds of Bloody Butcher and if someone wants a tasty early tomato shoot me a pm.

hank November 11, 2009 04:41 PM

No more tomatoes left to pick. I started this thread because I could not remember ever picking tomatoes in November before this year. When I was a serious farmer, my first hard frost was Oct. 10 on average. I am in Winchester, VA. Hank