Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Soilbuilding 101™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Chicken Poo and Sawdust (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=40453)

whoose March 31, 2016 11:41 AM

Chicken Poo and Sawdust

My neighbor has chickens and hence chicken poo which is mixed with D. Fir and Lodge Pole Pine saw dust. He will deliver to my GH. Pro's and con's of using and any experience. This is organic no chemical or other funky stuff.

ChiliPeppa March 31, 2016 01:51 PM

I use pine shavings in my hen house and bed very heavily so that I can let it get quite full of manure. When I clean out the hen house I then let the stuff compost for a few months either in a bin or in an empty bed. I have sandy soil and this stuff really enhances it. Worthwhile using imo. If you do use it just make sure the manure has aged long enough.

clkeiper March 31, 2016 09:14 PM

Chicken poop is hot -very hot! and fresh saw dust SUCKS the nitrogen out of everything it come into contact with. Unless it is composted for a few months you might waste (kill it dead in a day) everything you put it on.

rhines81 March 31, 2016 10:46 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;547540]Chicken poop is hot -very hot! and fresh saw dust SUCKS the nitrogen out of everything it come into contact with. Unless it is composted for a few months you might waste (kill it dead in a day) everything you put it on.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the saw dust, it has to start to decay before using it (and make sure that it is from green wood, not pressure treated cuts). Chicken poo or Pig poo is great stuff, but yes it has to age a bit too.....

whoose April 1, 2016 10:44 AM

Let it Rest

I was thinking of letting is sit in a pile until next spring. Any suggestion in care?

ChiliPeppa April 1, 2016 12:06 PM

I found I had to cover with a tarp if I simply left it in a pile vs digging into a bed. The sawdust/shavings get very dry and can blow around in a wind. I don't bother with wetting it etc. I just let it age and then use the next season.

BigVanVader April 1, 2016 12:08 PM

A lady I sell plants to has around 50 hens and sells eggs at market. They throw all the poop and eggs they cant use into a pile then use that the following season as a top dressing in their small garden. Their plants look amazing, produce outstanding and her husband told me he hasn't had and disease issues in years. Take it for what its worth but I use any manure I can get, usually let it sit in a pile for a year then use. Less time if you turn it and keep it hot.

Tracydr April 30, 2016 07:03 PM

I always use chicken manure mixed with shavings. I do let it age awhile. If it's a little too fresh, I just plant corn and okra,they love it!

Tracydr May 8, 2016 08:29 PM

The best garden my parents ever had,my dad used a truckload of aged turkey manure mixed with bedding in their 1/4 acre garden.
I use everything from my chicken coop but a
Ways age for a few months,first. I use inexpensive pine shavings and hay for bedding.
The local big farms across the street use multiple semi-loads of composted poultry manure very year,sometimes twice a year,on every field they grow.mi six they'd dump a bucket full of the gorgeous stuff in my garden for me!

clkingtx May 9, 2016 12:36 AM

A question: Wouldn't the two theoretically balance each other out? If the chicken manure is fresh, and hot-meaning high in nitrogen; and the sawdust will rob nitrogen from the soil....it seems like they would balance each other out and make a good top dressing or even to mix into the soil. That seems like a great arrangement, even if you have to let it age first, you will have lots of free fertilizer!

ilex May 9, 2016 02:04 AM

I put a foot of shredded pine in the chicken run, plus use it as the compost pile (just throw everything there). They do the composting for me, are happy and get food in exchange of their work. I like the end product which is not as strong as pure chicken manure.

I would put it in a pile, get it moist and see if it heats. If it doesn't you can use it. If it does, wait.

Tracydr May 9, 2016 06:12 AM

[QUOTE=clkingtx;558402]A question: Wouldn't the two theoretically balance each other out? If the chicken manure is fresh, and hot-meaning high in nitrogen; and the sawdust will rob nitrogen from the soil....it seems like they would balance each other out and make a good top dressing or even to mix into the soil. That seems like a great arrangement, even if you have to let it age first, you will have lots of free fertilizer![/QUOTE]

Quite true. Of course,probably very dependent on exact ratio.
I have put mostly fresh chicken poo with not a lot of shavings directly on the corn and amaranth before with great results but I used it as a top dressing in about the same quality as actual fertilizer. I wouldn't ever mix it into to the soil,especially in large quantities until it's well aged.
I've also used straight fresh shavings for mulch without issue. I've read the nitrogen robbing is really just an issue when fresh shavings are tilled into the soil. When I was in AZ I would put about 10-12" around the peppers every spring and by fall it would be broken down with the worms turning it under. They were in a no-till part of my garden since my peppers and eggplants would survive the winter and almost never need replanting.

Tracydr May 9, 2016 06:14 AM

[QUOTE=ilex;558424]I put a foot of shredded pine in the chicken run, plus use it as the compost pile (just throw everything there). They do the composting for me, are happy and get food in exchange of their work. I like the end product which is not as strong as pure chicken manure.

I would put it in a pile, get it moist and see if it heats. If it doesn't you can use it. If it does, wait.[/QUOTE]

I do this,too.