Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   The Workbench: BIY™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Keyhole raised bed kit. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43254)

Worth1 December 8, 2016 08:08 AM

Keyhole raised bed kit.

I need some help.
I have no idea how to create a website and want to start making custom parts and kits to distribute.
Since I have a lathe and other equipment to make this stuf from PVC with little or no fittings and no hardware I think it would be a huge plus.
It would be one heck of a lot cheaper too.
What I am asking is if anyone or how many people would be interested in such a thing.
This same method would also work for tomato cages and many other things.
No I am not trying to sell them here just need some input on interest in the idea.
Worth

dustdevil December 8, 2016 05:04 PM

I would build samples and post photos, so people can visualize what you are talking about.

Worth1 December 8, 2016 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=dustdevil;603499]I would build samples and post photos, so people can visualize what you are talking about.[/QUOTE]

I guess so and I am asking what people want and suggestions more of a think tank so to speak.
I can make anything that I deem practical.
Worth

AlittleSalt December 8, 2016 07:53 PM

I think it is a good idea - especially the tomato cages part. I've gardened for 6 years and have probably used over 10 different ways of caging tomato plants.

kurt December 8, 2016 07:54 PM

Here are a couple.

[QUOTE=Worth1;603515]I guess so and I am asking what people want and suggestions more of a think tank so to speak.
I can make anything that I deem practical.
Worth[/QUOTE]

Since I was in the commercial construction end for many years the item that stayed with me are the ADA(American Disability Act) requirements.These we knew by heart,decree by Federal Law and numerous changes over the years.For my elderly relatives I have incremented simple raised beds(at three foot off the ground).These have hoop tops(concrete block reinforcing ladders as fabric frame)simple roll up and over shade cloth.Simple frame PT wood boxes,chainlink fencing, landscape fabric bottoms ,No more knees,no more nematodes,easy access.Maybe some lighter,breakdown type material seasonal componets for weight and flexibilityAnother would be hanging basket frames made from the thick grounding wire,bend soldered,big enough to hold the drip tray(yes Terra Cotta pots)We hang all our herbs,mints(oreganos ,mints,thymes will cascade to the ground if allowed.Easy pickins and nice looking too.Can send better descriptions and maybe plans if needed later on.And yes tomato cages seem to a nightmare nowadays.There is some talk on the Makers Movements of some real strides of all things, Pineapple Fiber wallets,furniture etc.Oh well its a start.

[url]http://www.designboom.com/design/yothaka-pineapple-fiber-paper-furniture/[/url]

Dark Rumor December 8, 2016 10:46 PM

How about a raised bed for a single plant, at the end of the season, you put the bed in the garage and store the soil mix in the flower bed.

I would like to try four like this, made out of a lightweight material. Not sure what the dimensions should be.

SueCT December 8, 2016 10:49 PM

A raised bed for a single plant... wouldn't that be called a pot? ;)

Dark Rumor December 8, 2016 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=SueCT;603551]A raised bed for a single plant... wouldn't that be called a pot? ;)[/QUOTE]

You got me there:lol:

kurt December 9, 2016 12:05 AM

These weigh a lot,imagine wet.

[QUOTE=Dark Rumor;603552]You got me there:lol:[/QUOTE]

I stole my idea from these guys,I have one with wheels for seedlings(on pool deck),one in backyard set in 4 concrete 1/2 blocks.I slapped a simple wire hoop and some shade cloth roll over setup the wife loves for easy access,keep pounding rains ,bitter sun,and critters out.

[url]http://www.vegtrug.com/[/url]

Dark Rumor December 9, 2016 12:16 AM

Keeping the rain out is a good thought

Worth1 December 9, 2016 08:07 AM

I knkw my limits and business isn't one of them.
I am good at idea's research and development.
What I want to do is help folks that are limited for what ever reason be it physically or financially.
This stuff has to be simple so people dont have to go out and by a ton of tools.
later on the subject as I am on my phone.
Worth

whoose December 9, 2016 02:47 PM

Keyhole??

Missed the keyhole concept??

Worth1 December 9, 2016 06:40 PM

[QUOTE=whoose;603622]Missed the keyhole concept??[/QUOTE]

Keyhole raised bed garden is usually round with a slot going to the middle to a hole to dump scraps.
Worth

greenthumbomaha December 9, 2016 09:16 PM

[QUOTE=Worth1;603434]I need some help.
I have no idea how to create a website and want to start making custom parts and kits to distribute.
Since I have a lathe and other equipment to make this stuf from PVC with little or no fittings and no hardware I think it would be a huge plus.
It would be one heck of a lot cheaper too.
What I am asking is if anyone or how many people would be interested in such a thing.
This same method would also work for tomato cages and many other things.
No I am not trying to sell them here just need some input on interest in the idea.
Worth[/QUOTE]

That is a great idea for someone like myself that wants simple items but doesn't have the will or skill. Well, really I do, but I would hate to ruin the materials and would probably end up with something uneven anyway. Very frustrating!

I would like to buy easy to assemble things like the PVC light stands that some of our members have. I grow different ornamental and edible plants on shelves indoors in the winter but they aren't tall enough. Jump Start stands are a tad short too. Much cheaper to buy items already done than pay someone for their time to come to your house for just a few cuts. Let me reach back and think what else I wanted but gave up on.

Other than your captive audience here, I would advertise locally on craigslist. It becomes a chore for small occasional shipping all over the place, especially considering the packing time and when you have to deal with damaged items.

- Lisa

Gerardo December 9, 2016 09:25 PM

Ghost Shrimp Pumps.
Vegetable-fruit shaped weights from scrap metal, for weighing down the lines
A wooden stand and 3 lengths of pvc can turn into a mini hydroponic setup.