Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Silly question; What DO you do with all those hot peppers? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24897)

lakelady September 9, 2012 09:36 AM

Silly question; What DO you do with all those hot peppers?

I'm mostly a pepper newbie other than the typical Italian frying peppers or the bells. In past years I grew a cayenne pepper plant a few times, a few jalepenos. This year I have a lemon drop (thanks Mark!) that is producing little hot yellow peppers like mad, a few new mex chiles, peppadews, my aji amarillo is FINALLY putting on fruit (this late) and my Espelette.

I happily discovered that if I dried the Espelette, it developed the most amazing wonderful smoky aroma, wow. I took an old coffee grinder and made some flakes to use in winter.

I have so many lemon drops I have no idea what to do with them. I dried many of them whole. I put some in vinegar, some in vodka.

What DO you do with all of your hot peppers? dry, freeze, pickle?

I want to grow more peppers next year, but I really need some help as to what to do with them :?

Zana September 9, 2012 09:43 AM

Normally I pickle allot of them....most of them. Dry and either store whole or grind allot of what's left....using the rest for vinegars, salsas, relishes, marinades and of course in cooking.

Zana

roper2008 September 9, 2012 09:55 AM

What Zana said. I mostly dry in my dehydrater, and then make a
powder. I also pickle some, and make pepper jellies. I have not
yet tried hot sauces..

greentiger87 September 9, 2012 12:53 PM

Dry them in the sun if possible, and used in every meal (I'm Indian ;) ). My mom pickles whatever I'm too lazy to deal with. I'll admit, a lot of it goes to waste. But they're so pretty hanging on the plant!

Texas Blues September 9, 2012 06:47 PM

If you have heaps of chile's, pickling & freezing is good although jars and vac packs can take up a lot of room in the freezer and pantry.

Hot sauce uses more chile's and takes up less room once jarred or bottled.

Dried and ground into powder uses the most chiles but takes up the least amount of space.

Father'sDaughter September 9, 2012 07:59 PM

My hot pepper plants have really started pumping out a ton of peppers. It was the same last year--they didn't do much all summer, then the major production started in early September and I was picking into the first two weeks of October.

The cayennes get dried then turned into red pepper flakes in the blender.

The small cherry peppers get pickled.

The larger Calabrese peppers get stuffed with provolone wrapped in prosciutto and refrigerator pickled using half white vinegar and half olive oil.

ChrisK September 9, 2012 08:24 PM

Hot pepper jelly! Awesome on crackers/bagels and cream cheese.

lakelady September 9, 2012 09:33 PM

good ideas; so who has a good pickled hot pepper recipe? :)

Worth1 September 9, 2012 09:44 PM

Read my post on what you do with sweet peppers.;)

Worth.

ScottinAtlanta September 10, 2012 01:44 AM

How do you pickle peppers with vodka?

Diriel September 10, 2012 04:32 AM

Do not forget the Hot Mustard! And some fermented pepper mash / fermented pepper sauce is usually very nice to have.

Gary

carpenterlady September 10, 2012 08:49 AM

Hot pepper jelly is good with pork and chicken.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

lakelady September 10, 2012 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=ScottinAtlanta;302432]How do you pickle peppers with vodka?[/QUOTE]

Well I wasn't planning to pickle them in vodka, but I have this neighbor who's a huge foodie. He loves to make martini's and is the kind of guy who eats raw hot peppers and such. So, for the holidays I thought I'd give him a bottle of hot pepper vodka since he's one of those people who has EVERYTHING. And he dog sits for me :) So I just dropped 5 lemon drops into a bottle of good vodka and it's going to sit a while :)

Diriel September 10, 2012 10:59 AM

That will be a nice gift for sure :)

ScottinAtlanta September 10, 2012 12:34 PM

Very nice.