Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Peppers Hot and Sweet (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   A few pics I took today of my peppers (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=29556)

Mojave August 2, 2013 09:22 PM

A few pics I took today of my peppers

6 Attachment(s)
I was out marveling at my peppers today, camera in hand. :)

First one is a ripening Caribbean Red, followed by Tabasco, A Thai variety, and three pics of Tasmanian Black.

Mojave August 2, 2013 09:30 PM

Some more

4 Attachment(s)
A Red Savina to be, two Purple Flash close ups, ripening Fresno pepper.

Alfredo August 2, 2013 09:35 PM

Those are some pretty peppers Mojave. Very nice. How long did the Tasmanian Black and Purple Flash pepper plants take to germinate from seed?

~Alfredo

Mojave August 2, 2013 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=Alfredo;368408]Those are some pretty peppers Mojave. Very nice. How long did the Tasmanian Black and Purple Flash pepper plants take to germinate from seed?

~Alfredo[/QUOTE]

The Purple Flash peppers I bought as seedlings. The Tasmanian Black germinated within a week. As seedlings go, the Tas Black were very healthy and eager to grow.

Tania August 2, 2013 10:02 PM

Bill, what a bunch of lovely peppers! Your pictures are so beautiful, they got me drooling all over the screen. :)

Where did you obtain seeds for Tasmanian Black? I want to have this beauty in my garden too one day.

Tatiana

Mojave August 2, 2013 10:08 PM

And a few more.

3 Attachment(s)
Turk's Cap peppers, a lot of flower buds on a Trinidad Scorpion Butch T pepper (ripe Fatalii peppers in the left rear), flowering Red Savina.

Mojave August 2, 2013 10:22 PM

[QUOTE=Tania;368416]Bill, what a bunch of lovely peppers! Your pictures are so beautiful, they got me drooling all over the screen. :)

Where did you obtain seeds for Tasmanian Black? I want to have this beauty in my garden too one day.

Tatiana[/QUOTE]
I got them from Semillas la Palma, in my experience a top notch and honest seedsman.

[url]http://www.semillas.de/home/strato/www/me/www.merle-online.de/htdocs/cgi-bin/shop_en/shop.cgi[/url]

:)

mecktom August 3, 2013 03:54 AM

Beautiful peppers...lot of heat right there!

Tania August 3, 2013 04:07 AM

Thank you Bill! I placed my order. :)

nolabelle August 3, 2013 07:49 AM

That's some gorgeous peppers you have there, Mojave. I'm fairly new at gardening, but have had great luck with peppers in the past. I would love to have some thai peppers for pickled eggs. I love the heat in those.

I also have a Purple Flash... was sort of straggly and beat up when I rescued it as the last plant on the sale table. It looks pretty nice now.

Thanks for the seed link. I bookmarked it for future reference.

Mojave August 4, 2013 05:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=nolabelle;368481]That's some gorgeous peppers you have there, Mojave. I'm fairly new at gardening, but have had great luck with peppers in the past. I would love to have some thai peppers for pickled eggs. I love the heat in those.

I also have a Purple Flash... was sort of straggly and beat up when I rescued it as the last plant on the sale table. It looks pretty nice now.

Thanks for the seed link. I bookmarked it for future reference.[/QUOTE]

Both of my Purple Flash plants were spur of the moment "rescues" too. The last two plants to join my garden.

Here's a few more pictures. Royal Black flower buds and leaves (kind of similar to Purple Flash). My first Ghost pepper to show color and my mystery Iraqi pepper starting to turn red. I don't know if it's supposed to be eaten at red or green so I'll let this one go red and see how it tastes. You can see a small blemish near the end of this pepper, I don't know what it is but it hasn't grown so I'm not too worried about it.

Crandrew August 5, 2013 11:41 AM

Looking awesome Mojave!

Could you outline your feeding schedule and practices for the peppers if any? thanks.

Tania August 5, 2013 12:02 PM

Lovely peppers!

How big are the pots in the last picture?

Tatiana

Mojave August 5, 2013 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=Crandrew;369025]Looking awesome Mojave!

Could you outline your feeding schedule and practices for the peppers if any? thanks.[/QUOTE]
My pepper tips :):

I don't do a lot. At planting time I add handfull of organic fertilizer to the top 10 or so inches of soil (or to the container). Typically something in the 3-6-4 area. I don't water unless they really need it, during the season I hold off watering until I see the early signs of wilting. Some varieties can't handle excessive water at all and will start to die, others might do seemingly well but the fruit will suffer in (lack of) taste. I feed a half strength liquid kelp extract about every 3 weeks and around early July give everyone a shot of fish bone meal.

Removing the first flush of flower buds will reward you with a more productive, and sometimes bigger plant. Also, giving them broken shade for most of the afternoon has proven, in my case, to be a [U]big[/U] benefit.

Mojave August 5, 2013 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=Tania;369026]Lovely peppers!

How big are the pots in the last picture?

Tatiana[/QUOTE]

It measures 11.5 inches inside diameter at the top, about 10.5 inches at the bottom, and is about 11 inches high.