Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Eggplant aka Aubergine (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Start eggplant seeds with tomatoes or with peppers? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46697)

zipcode February 14, 2018 10:41 AM

Start eggplant seeds with tomatoes or with peppers?

As you all know, peppers grow insanely slow when they are small, so me and probably most start them earlier then tomatoes (me about 1 month).
This is the first time I'll try an eggplant. When should I plant the seeds? Also, what size should I expect the plants to grow?

Fred Hempel February 14, 2018 11:11 AM

With Peppers

Andrey_BY February 14, 2018 12:28 PM

or even a week before peppers...
Size of eggplant can be different - from compacr 30cm to really high and wide depending on variety and grwing conditions.

Father'sDaughter February 14, 2018 01:54 PM

Another vote for with peppers. I started mine this past weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ann123 February 14, 2018 02:27 PM

I think we have a similar climate. Here peppers and eggplants are usually sown by the end of January to plant out mid May.
I would start them now.

FourOaks February 14, 2018 06:35 PM

Well dang. Now I feel behind.

zipcode February 15, 2018 03:09 AM

gosh darnoodley, I need to start asap then.
Thanks.

clkeiper February 15, 2018 08:04 AM

[QUOTE=FourOaks;683248]Well dang. Now I feel behind.[/QUOTE]

nah, just get started or else go buy them already started unless you have a special variety you were going to grow. I generally don't spend time starting eggplant as it is slow and takes a lot of time. I go buy plants. I plant two in the garden.and even most of those go to waste I am afraid to confess. and I give away the other two plants.

Labradors2 February 15, 2018 03:51 PM

Oh my goodness Carolyn K., it sounds as if you're not too keen on eggplant.

I always (mistakenly) start mine with my tomatoes so no wonder they take so long to mature, but when they do, I love to make eggplant lasagna, and dehydrate them to use in all my soups and stews during the colder months :).

I plant at least 16 plants of various varieties.

This year I will start them (and the peppers) earlier :).

Linda

clkeiper February 15, 2018 05:06 PM

I am not really a disliker of it nor an avid eater of it... I grow to sell at a farm stand and at farmers markets. I just don't have much time for cooking/experimenting the Summer.. I just don't sell much of it. few people LOVE it and the rest pass it up not knowing what to do with it, I think.

mensplace February 15, 2018 05:35 PM

This will be my first year with eggplants.

I've been inspired by my studies of middle eastern cooking. It appears that they are a staple there, especially in Greece. That means I will be growing some pepper varieties for cooking alongside them in many dishes if I can find the right seeds. Looks like the Fairytale eggplant and Shishoto peppers would be a good match.

Other suggestions?

I'm planting my tomato seed today, but we have plenty of time here.

FourOaks February 15, 2018 07:06 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;683410]nah, just get started or else go buy them already started unless you have a special variety you were going to grow. I generally don't spend time starting eggplant as it is slow and takes a lot of time. I go buy plants. I plant two in the garden.and even most of those go to waste I am afraid to confess. and I give away the other two plants.[/QUOTE]

Shooting Stars is the variety. My plan is to sell. So...

clkeiper February 15, 2018 09:12 PM

well, I would come buy mine from you if you were close enough, sooo.......... have at it and get them started.

FourOaks February 15, 2018 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;683550]well, I would come buy mine from you if you were close enough, sooo.......... have at it and get them started.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!:lol:

ibraash February 15, 2018 09:53 PM

My eggplants were started the same day as the peppers, and they are doing way better than the peppers. The peppers are still in their firs sets of leaves, and the leaves are curled. Anybody knows what is happening to them??