Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Fruit, Flowers and Ornamentals (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   What do you have for apple trees? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=4445)

Big_Red March 8, 2007 09:51 AM

What do you have for apple trees?

Last year I set out one each:
Dolgo Crab
Honey Crisp
Arkansas Black
Liberty
Winesap
Gala

All are doing well so far.

redbrick March 8, 2007 09:36 PM

Okay, here's my list: I have one tree each of Gala, Jonathon, Stayman, Giant Winesap, Smokehouse, Paradise, and Cherry Cox. Also grafted onto them are Ashmead's Kernel, Westfield-Seek-No-Further, Summer Sweet, Calville Blanc d'Hiver, and Sops-Of-Wine. I have a flowering crab (I don't remember the variety) and a crab wilder that I started from seed, just to see what I'd get.

Douglas14 May 18, 2007 11:51 PM

The following apple tree's have bloomed this spring:
Fireside
Honeygold
Chestnut Crab
Ashmead's Kernel
Black Oxford
Liberty
Baldwin
and I think Ribston Pippin..lost the tag(first yr. to bloom here).

Hilde June 16, 2007 09:42 AM

I have three dwarf Gala apple trees. It looks like we will get apples from two of them this year, they are still quite young.

michael johnson June 16, 2007 10:49 AM

once had an allotment site I was working, that was previously worked for thirty years by a well know gardner- and on this allotment was a lone apple tree,

In all the time I had the allotment I never realy took any notice of the tree, it flowered and fruited and they all dropped to the ground, so I used to gather them up in bagfulls and give them away, without ever trying one myself as they were a sort of patchy red and green colour and didnt look very sweet.

To cut a long story short- I eventually gave up the allotment, and about a year later I was talking to another old allotment holder- who asked me about the apple tree- he said do you know what you had there- so I said no, and he said it was one of the rarest apple trees in existance-it was called Reverent Wilkes, after an old clergyman in the 1800 era and as far as he knew there were only two in exsistance it was almost extinct= I was kicking myself afterwards :oops:.

amideutch July 15, 2007 07:00 AM

I have Braeburn and a variety I got from a German handler calles simply (The Vitamin Apple). Ami

rxkeith July 17, 2007 05:43 PM

good question. the farm we bought a few years ago, has 6 or 7 trees that are pretty old. one might be a yellow transparent. its a nice sweet eating apple. it gets soft if you wait too long to pick it. there are also quite a few wild trees around the property that were planted by deer. taste varies from spit out quick to very good. size varies from large crab apple to soft ball. i found one small tree in the back of the property last year with about a dozen apples on it that was very good. its fun sampling them. they may be no name apples, but most are good eating.

keith in calumet

johno July 18, 2007 01:48 PM

Did everyone know Redbrick just published an article on preserving antique apple cultivars?

I don't have any yet, but plan to start a small grove of apple trees, hopefully this fall...