Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   your choice of slicing cucumbers (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44550)

cjp1953 April 14, 2017 10:36 AM

your choice of slicing cucumbers

With so many slicers to choose from,what's your choice?:yes:Posted in the wrong forum index by accident.I would like to move this to the correct index but can't find out how to delete this.Sorry.

oakley April 14, 2017 10:54 AM

Lemon is the only one i grow. Does well for me in my climate. 5 or 6 vines at the end of my
pea/bean trellis bed. Thin skinned so no peeling. Minor tiny tender seeds so no seeding.
(picked small-ish). Great fresh fridge pickles, (i don't 'can'). I can get great cukes at local farm stands very cheap if i need that. So Lemon is my choice for the home garden.

They do have small 'needles' like cactus but slide right off easily with a glove in a water rinse bath.

cjp1953 April 14, 2017 10:58 AM

[QUOTE=cjp1953;631815]With so many slicers to choose from,what's your choice?:yes:Posted in the wrong forum index by accident.I would like to move this to the correct index but can't find out how to delete this.Sorry.[/QUOTE]

I bought Garden Sweet Burpless today.I'm in zone 6b.

BigVanVader April 14, 2017 12:03 PM

Sweet success, excelsior, h-19 little leaf, salt & pepper are my main crops with cucamelon and lemon as novelty/uniques.

Cole_Robbie April 14, 2017 12:07 PM

Sweet Success is the only cuke I'll eat. I like pickles, but not enough to pick cucumbers every day. Most people near me grow only picklers, and eat the large ones fresh, which turns my stomach and made me hate cukes for most of my life.

slugworth April 14, 2017 01:42 PM

Japanese soyu in hanging baskets or in the ground with a fence to climb on.

Worth1 April 14, 2017 02:17 PM

Strait eight and market more 76.
Worth

pmcgrady April 14, 2017 04:55 PM

Market More 76 and Muncher

guruofgardens April 14, 2017 05:41 PM

Sweet Success and Tasty Green.

Deborah April 14, 2017 06:17 PM

People eat those bumpy picklers raw? Ick!

Worth1 April 14, 2017 06:57 PM

I do I love them real cucumber taste cant beat it.
Worth.

pondgardener April 14, 2017 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=cjp1953;631822]I bought Garden Sweet Burpless today.I'm in zone 6b.[/QUOTE]
I think you made a good choice. Garden Sweet is my wife's favorite slicing cucumber. I've been growing them for the last 4 years with great results. Very prolific production growing vertically with long straight cukes. I end up with so many that I end up taking bags to a former coworker who also loves them. I got my seeds from Morgan County.

cjp1953 April 14, 2017 09:00 PM

I was wondering if I made a good choice.I looked up some of the best slicers before I went to Lowes.They have a good selection and found Burpees Garden Sweet.

JoParrott April 14, 2017 10:59 PM

General Lee is my favorite- it is super crunchy- my pet peeve is a watery textured cucumber- love Armenian cukes, too.

shule1 April 15, 2017 12:39 AM

It depends on the soil, in my opinion, but in our garden, I like Monika, so far. Beit Alpha is a good one, too. Neither get bitter (although quite old Beit Alpha fruits do get sour like lemons—not bitter, though).

Bushy seems to be an excellent one in my friend's garden, but it didn't prosper in ours (and it was very bitter when over-ripe in our garden); I mostly had it in pickles (which were excellent), but the fresh one I had from my friend was pretty good.