Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Very early determinante tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39160)

MrBig46 December 27, 2015 11:11 AM

Very early determinante tomatoes

Next year I will grow 34 plants determinate tomatoes. I will test them for resistance to cold and frost and watch the DTM. I will also try to hardening of the seeds and seedlings for planting at low temperatures. All the data from this experiment I will write and do picture documentation. I am looking forward to this job.
Around January 20 I want to sow the following varieties:
0-33
I-2
M-22
Saraev Gruntovyi
Saraev Druzhnyi
Saraev Otbor 1
Saraev Stoikyi
Saraev Shtambovyi
42 days
Latah
Kalinka
Jagodka
Darinka F1

Vladimír

Gerardo December 27, 2015 11:55 AM

A great experiment. Very interested in your results. Good luck Vladimir.

Cole_Robbie December 27, 2015 12:29 PM

Neat. I have 42 Days. I'm also going to try Klukva v Sahare, Pendulina Orange and Red, Podarok Fei, Polarnij Skorospelyi, Roza Vetrov, Russkaya Dusha, Sladkij Ponchik, Sol Gold, Southern Nights, Taos Trail, and Utyonok. I believe that all of them are early determinates. I would like to find a good variety for an early crop in low tunnels.

Aerial December 27, 2015 12:44 PM

Fantastic thread! Please note the taste as well.. :D

clara December 27, 2015 12:58 PM

Cole Robbie, both Pendulinas are best for hanging baskets - or you use high pots. Otherwise the plants will crawl on the soil, not really good.

clara December 27, 2015 01:05 PM

42 Days, Kljukva W Sahare, Polarnij Skorospelyi, Roza Vetrov, Utyonok will surely do fine in a low tunnel. As to the others I'm not absolutely sure, but of course it depends on how "low" your tunnel is.

Sol Gold, Sladkij Ponchik were about 3 ft or a bit more in my garden.

Cole_Robbie December 27, 2015 01:12 PM

ok. Thanks. I will grow most of the plants in hanging baskets.

I grow on black plastic mulch stretched over ridges of soil. The smallest of the low tunnel designs I have seen has an 18 inch height. I had the crazy idea that the hanging basket varieties would grow to completion in a space that size. I think the vines can touch the plastic and be ok.

If I can find something to grow profitably in the 18" tunnel, I could buy the machine to lay the low tunnel that is pulled behind a tractor, and then grow hanging basket cherry tomatoes by the acre.

NarnianGarden December 27, 2015 02:01 PM

Gold Nugget was my earliest last summer. The taste was OK, I'd say good - the growth vigorous but manageable, very resistant to various ailments that attacked my other plants. My fave early cherry from now on.

Bipetual December 28, 2015 01:03 PM

[QUOTE=NarnianGarden;521162]Gold Nugget was my earliest last summer. The taste was OK, I'd say good - the growth vigorous but manageable, very resistant to various ailments that attacked my other plants. My fave early cherry from now on.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever tried Koralik? I've never tried Gold Nugget, but I've been thinking for a while now that they would complement each other nicely, with the Koralik being a red cherry early determinate. They are soft, but I think they taste great. Very dependable, too.

RJGlew December 28, 2015 03:08 PM

[QUOTE=MrBig46;521111]Next year I will grow 34 plants determinate tomatoes. I will test them for resistance to cold and frost and watch the DTM.[/QUOTE]

Hi Vlad, your work will be very interesting for me. Thank you.

NarnianGarden December 28, 2015 03:09 PM

No, not yet, Bipetual. I got seeds for it, but could not find any spot for it, so it was off my list ... :)

RJGlew December 28, 2015 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;521131]I would like to find a good variety for an early crop in low tunnels.[/QUOTE]

You may want to consider 0-33, another of Saraev's varieties which Vlad is growing. In 2015 it was earlier, better tasting (for me) and much more productive than my prior go-tos - Kalinka, Arctic Fire & Polbig F1. I found it not quite as productive as Early Doll F1, but definitely earlier.

Cole_Robbie December 28, 2015 03:52 PM

thanks

Tormato December 28, 2015 04:51 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;521131]Neat. I have 42 Days. I'm also going to try Klukva v Sahare, Pendulina Orange and Red, Podarok Fei, Polarnij Skorospelyi, Roza Vetrov, Russkaya Dusha, Sladkij Ponchik, Sol Gold, Southern Nights, Taos Trail, and Utyonok. I believe that all of them are early determinates. I would like to find a good variety for an early crop in low tunnels.[/QUOTE]

:roll:PodarokFeiPolarnijSkorospelyiRozaVetrovRusskayaDushaSladkijPonchik...with a few commas thrown in.:?:
You shouldn't go near a keyboard so soon after the holiday cheer.;)

(I'll hopefully have a few more for you, soon););)

Cole_Robbie December 28, 2015 05:00 PM

sweet