Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Past blush toward full color. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47416)

edweather May 3, 2018 10:04 AM

Past blush toward full color.

4 Attachment(s)
I know they are in containers, but figured there would be more people to share with here. Maximum growth rates now with cool nights and warm sunny dry days. Plants are topping cages, and Indian Stripe PL, and Rutgers are turning. Didn't get an April tomato this year, but got blush on May 1. Don't be too jealous, it will all be over in 2 months barring a miracle fighting disease and bugs. 90/90 with rain daily is a tough combo. Have been pruning daily to keep foliage sparse for good air flow, and easier spraying.

b54red May 3, 2018 01:32 PM

That ISPL can be fast. Another that is frequently early is Pruden's Purple especially if the weather is hotter than usual. It looks like my first one might be JD's Special C Tex as it has the largest fruit by far but I still have a few weeks before I think I will see anything large enough to start blushing. My slicing knife is ready and I just bought some dry cured bacon and with some homemade sourdough bread I think I'll be able to find a use for those first fruits of the year.:yes:

Bill

MissS May 4, 2018 07:41 PM

Those look wonderful. You will be enjoying fresh tomatoes very soon.

wildcat62 May 5, 2018 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=b54red;698256]That ISPL can be fast. Another that is frequently early is Pruden's Purple especially if the weather is hotter than usual. It looks like my first one might be JD's Special C Tex as it has the largest fruit by far but I still have a few weeks before I think I will see anything large enough to start blushing. My slicing knife is ready and I just bought some dry cured bacon and with some homemade sourdough bread I think I'll be able to find a use for those first fruits of the year.:yes:

Bill[/QUOTE]

You are making my mouth water. Going to be a while up here. Mine just went in the ground yesterday. But we are getting a good soaking rain as I write this. So at least it's starting off right.

edweather May 5, 2018 09:42 PM

Thanks. Should be eating tomatoes in the next day or so. Ironically, just starting to see a little yellowing of some leaves too.

Gardeneer May 8, 2018 01:53 AM

Nice, Ed.
Probably I am 3 weeks bebind you. My Stupice are getting close to full size and I have some walnut size fruits on Big Beef.
Getting there.

edweather May 8, 2018 01:51 PM

I'm envious of your Stupice. Have grown them every year, except this year, something happened and the plant died. It was always earliest, and would have been an April tomato for me here. Didn't get an April tomato, but had first blush on May 1. Maybe a moral victory. Ironically the yellowing of leaves I just mentioned upthread is Septoria :-/ and I've been pruning and spraying the past 2 days trying to stop it. Hoping for the best. Enjoy those Stupice.......just about the best tomato flavor for me.

Fiishergurl May 8, 2018 03:25 PM

They look awesome!

Ginny

MissS May 15, 2018 11:12 PM

And so....... how were they?

SueCT May 16, 2018 12:17 AM

Those look great!

edweather May 16, 2018 02:31 PM

Great! Thanks, for asking. Can't eat them as fast as they're ripening, but still no Big Beef yet. Looking for color any day now. Weather has turned wet, so doing a lot of spraying trying to stay one step ahead of the diseases.

Lindalana May 17, 2018 09:51 AM

Oh, mouthwatering!
I have some blooming in my Chicago burbs

b54red May 17, 2018 10:28 AM

It is now 60 days since I first put my tomatoes out and for the first time in many years I don't have a single fruit near the ripe stage after two months. I usually am picking at least a few around 55 to 58 days and a fair number between 60 and 65 days. I guess those cooler nights that continued up til two weeks ago really made a difference. Now it is hot and we even reached 98 a few days ago and the humidity is shooting up so ripening and diseases should follow shortly.

Bill

Gardeneer May 19, 2018 10:47 PM

No color break yet in my garden either, except the Indigos. They start blue.
But I am hoping to get some before the month of May ends.
Maybe I am pushing . I started planting out last week of March. So it is not even 60 days.
counting from sowing seeds : I sowed on Feb 1st. That is 110 days ago.

b54red May 20, 2018 09:07 AM

Picked my first tomato 2 days ago and it was a Crynkovik Yugoslavian. I am letting it finish ripening on the porch so the birds don’t get a chance to peck my first one. I also have a JD’s Spcial C Tex at full blush.

Bill