Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Common Garden Diseases and Pests (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   What's eating the leaves of my sugar snaps? (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=49146)

Shrinkrap May 18, 2019 11:32 PM

What's eating the leaves of my sugar snaps?

4 Attachment(s)
I grow peas every year and don't recall seeing this before. But this is the first time I've been able to grow two crops. I have what I believe to be flea beetles on the bottom of nearby tomatoes, which I doused with diatomaceous earth, but thought these might be snalis or slugs or earwigs.

KarenO May 18, 2019 11:41 PM

Slugs I would say
KarenO

Shrinkrap May 19, 2019 12:53 AM

[QUOTE=KarenO;735824]Slugs I would say
KarenO[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

Worth1 May 19, 2019 10:44 AM

Flashlight outside at night may make you sick just seeing how many slimy slugs there are.

Shrinkrap May 19, 2019 12:30 PM

Consider me warned! I've been feeling like I should go out there in the dark, but ALL the critters that hang out back there in the dark give me pause.

bower May 19, 2019 05:56 PM

Slugs and snails are the bane of the garden here. There's a type of slug bait you can get, that is non toxic to humans or pets (contains some iron compound) and does help to reduce populations in the ground. But I tried it in my containers when slugs were eating the tomatoes one year, and it didn't work for some reason... I guess the thought of big juicy tomato was enough to bypass a nasty ol pellet on the way up. :bummer:

Worth1 May 19, 2019 06:06 PM

Look up electric fence for snails and slugs.
It really works.:yes:

Shrinkrap May 19, 2019 06:35 PM

Is that the copper tape? I may have some of that.

ETA; Maybe it's TWO copper tapes! Checking it out.

Worth1 May 19, 2019 06:43 PM

[QUOTE=Shrinkrap;735942]Is that the copper tape? I may have some of that.

ETA; Maybe it's TWO copper tapes! Checking it out.[/QUOTE]

Two bare wires running parallel with each other connected to a battery or DC power supply.
The slimy slug or stinking snail shorts out on it and turns back. :lol:

brownrexx May 19, 2019 06:48 PM

Flea beetle damage would be perfectly round tiny holes in the leaves.

Shrinkrap May 19, 2019 08:16 PM

Okay; thank you all!

oakley May 20, 2019 09:01 AM

In my garden, that is flea beetles. My slugs are the size of a sharpie. They do not leave
behind the lacy delicate pattern. They feast more aggressively. :evil:

Beer in a jar lid will let you know overnight if that is the problem. Then get some sluggo.
I use DE, slugo, beer traps and have copper tap on the top edge of my raised salad beds.

MSchep May 22, 2019 10:36 PM

Hey Shrinkrap, I don't know which part of Norcal you're in, but here in Los Gatos (south of San Jose), I've dealt with a larger-than-previous-years infestation of caterpillars which have been eating my peas and tomatoes. It took me a week or two at first (i thought slugs could be the culprit, but have a dog, and am hesitant to use sluggo), but I finally caught a couple caterpillars in the act. A couple Spinosad treatments have seemed to keep them at bay since then.

Shrinkrap May 23, 2019 05:03 PM

[QUOTE=MSchep;736200]Hey Shrinkrap, I don't know which part of Norcal you're in, but here in Los Gatos (south of San Jose), I've dealt with a larger-than-previous-years infestation of caterpillars which have been eating my peas and tomatoes. It took me a week or two at first (i thought slugs could be the culprit, but have a dog, and am hesitant to use sluggo), but I finally caught a couple caterpillars in the act. A couple Spinosad treatments have seemed to keep them at bay since then.[/QUOTE]

Good to know! Thanks. I have found caterpillars on my tomatoes, but the damage looks different, at least on the tomato leaves.

I am in the East Bay; climate more like central valley.