Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Alliums (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Hardneck garlic making no scapes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=45020)

zipcode May 17, 2017 03:49 AM

Hardneck garlic making no scapes

So what could be the reasons?
I got it 2 years ago from someone, it's definitely hardneck. Last year it made no scapes. Now this year I'm planting a bit of those and a new one, also definitely hardneck. Again no sign of scapes on any of them, and I doubt they will.
I have only a few planted in a container on the balcony, they have a decent number of cloves, although small (last year I mean).

henry May 17, 2017 05:00 AM

Wonder if they are a weakly bolting type they make scapes some years and not others, the stem is softer then a true hardneck.

PhilaGardener May 17, 2017 06:12 AM

Perhaps the light environment is not generating the correct cues? Have other varieties scaped for you in pots in this location?

Worth1 May 17, 2017 07:41 AM

No way in your area is it time for garlic to make scapes.
Worth

dustdevil May 17, 2017 07:45 AM

Garlic likes loose soil...maybe your soil is compacted?

zipcode May 17, 2017 07:47 AM

Well, the balcony, in the city, is much warmer than if it would be in a field.
Location is kinda west, so not full sun, but everything else is growing really well, including tomatoes and shallots.
Last year they didn't make any, and now it's quite tall, and rather thin, this is why I don't think it will make any again.
Soil is peat mix, quite nice, it's not compacted.
Maybe it's inadequate spacing (I read that they inhibit each other through roots if too close)?.

Worth1 May 17, 2017 07:49 AM

Maybe not enough nitrogen.
Worth

gdaddybill May 17, 2017 04:11 PM

Are there lights that would interrupt the night period? Onions are daylength sensitive I suspect garlic is too. Actually it is the uninterrupted night period that counts so a streetlight or porch light might have an affect.

Worth1 May 17, 2017 04:39 PM

[QUOTE=gdaddybill;640622]Are there lights that would interrupt the night period? Onions are daylength sensitive I suspect garlic is too.[/QUOTE]

I think you nailed it.
Worth

shule1 May 17, 2017 05:02 PM

I'm not sure that our garlic always got scapes, but we do have a more compact soil. After we got some bark mulch down, though, they sure produced them (and they were delicious). They may have had too much drought, before, though.

TessSR May 17, 2017 05:07 PM

All my garlic are in container and now scapes are coming out. It might the same as succulents that it has to go through distress to produce scapes. We had so much rain at the beginning of the year, then a sudden high heat, then cold again.

PhilaGardener May 17, 2017 05:51 PM

I just noticed scapes forming on my elephant garlic, but my regular garlic hasn't started yet. It is hard to know what effect our roller coaster weather is having this year.

zipcode May 18, 2017 03:36 AM

[QUOTE=gdaddybill;640622]Are there lights that would interrupt the night period? Onions are daylength sensitive I suspect garlic is too.[/QUOTE]

Well, there is a higher amount of light on the street at night than on a filed, not sure how much that should affect them, could be a problem though.
By odd coincidence today I noticed that some scapes are forming :lol:
Only on the new variety though, I think the one from last year which didn't have any still won't have it.

svalli May 18, 2017 03:55 AM

The streetlights should not prevent the scape formation since up here it does not get dark at all during June and all my fall planted or cold treated hardecks produce scapes.

Our cold winters and cool summers cause most of the softneck types to bolt so that the bulbils are in the middle of the stem on top of a 2-3 inch tall hard stalk. When this type of garlic is harvested and the stem cut, you can not tell it apart from the real hardnecks.

Sari

zipcode May 18, 2017 04:32 AM

Hm, I think you have a point there. I remember seeing in my aunt's garden (from who I took the garlic) some odd garlics with bulbils a few cm above ground in the neck. So that is a softneck?
What exactly causes it? Is it because she planted it wrong in the autumn and it was exposed to the cold and starts to act as a hardneck?