Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomatillos (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   The Tale Of Two Tomatillos. (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=24905)

Worth1 September 9, 2012 06:14 PM

The Tale Of Two Tomatillos.

When I purchased these tomatillo plants all it said was tomatillo.

I purchased 4 of them and to my surprise I now see I have at least two distinct tomatillo plants. ( I think)

Both plants have small leaves but one has a squat flattish husk while the others have something compared to a heart shape.

I'll have to follow the vines to see where the mother plant is.

You can see in the pictures I had no idea how big these things can get.
I read about 3 feet wide and 4 feet tall and so forth but this is ridiculous.:shock:
Also you will see a picture of the tomato side of things I took this picture today 9-9-2012.
Take note the short posts are 5 feet tall on the concrete block adding another 9 inches or so.
I have no idea how tall they are but you can see them peeking above the cucumber and bean vines in the center.

I cant believe these tomatoes are still around.:?

Worth

[ATTACH]29012[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29013[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29014[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29015[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29016[/ATTACH]

greentiger87 September 9, 2012 06:33 PM

I.. wow.

So would you say they're easier to "over summer" than tomatoes? I was definitely told the opposite at the nursery, so I steered clear.

Why can't tomatoes be as easy to grow eggplants? I'm so tired of eggplants.

Worth1 September 9, 2012 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=greentiger87;302381]I.. wow.

So would you say they're easier to "over summer" than tomatoes? I was definitely told the opposite at the nursery, so I steered clear.

Why can't tomatoes be as easy to grow eggplants? I'm so tired of eggplants.[/QUOTE]

"Why can't tomatoes be as easy to grow eggplants? I'm so tired of eggplants?"

I'm with ya.:(

As far as the tomatillos the nursery steered you wrong.:no:

Tomatillos grow well in the heat of the summer as you can see.
I have to admit these critters I posted a picture of are pretty much neglected.:(
On a drip timer and a shot of Miracle Grow every month, that is it.:)
They grow like a weed here in Texas.
I think I will get a hundred pounds of seed and spread it in the woods and along the river banks.:twisted:

Worth

HiPoha September 9, 2012 11:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Worth, maybe I have the same tomatillo as you do. I grew Cisineros. I have three containers of these plants in different location around my house. The ones on the balconey is the healthiest. The two others are shrivelling up and dying, for reasons I don't know. I hope I can get a taste of these things soon.

peppero September 10, 2012 05:35 AM

[QUOTE=greentiger87;302381]I.. wow.

Why can't tomatoes be as easy to grow eggplants? I'm so tired of eggplants.[/QUOTE]
i would like to be plagued with eggplant as i struggle getting any. i tried 6 varieties and only got a fewwwwwww. the remaining plants are in pots and are producing zero, nada, zilch, nyet, nicht. ENVY. JON

austinnhanasmom September 10, 2012 09:40 AM

I successfully grew tomatillos last year and they were out of control. I have noticed that they easily self seed, as I have volunteers in that bed.

I didn't grow them this year, and regret it.

Next year, I shall plant them out of the way, with support.

greentiger87 September 10, 2012 09:53 AM

Hear, hear for guerrilla gardening! We have a beautiful creekside forest running trail next to our neighborhood... that's chock full of giant ragweed. I've been trying to figure out what I could seed that wouldn't be invasive, but would still survive in the wild...

Peppero, I can try to give you some tips, but I honestly don't do much but plant the darn things, and occasionally use insecticidal soap and flowing water for spider mites, aphids, and flea beetles. I always overplant because I'm paranoid and then give baskets away to the food bank every week. There's only so many ways you can eat eggplant..

cajun33 March 13, 2016 08:24 AM

pollination

I planted one tomatillo, which grew, but never set fruit. do you need to plant more than one?

JaxRmrJmr March 17, 2016 12:15 PM

[QUOTE=cajun33;541194]I planted one tomatillo, which grew, but never set fruit. do you need to plant more than one?[/QUOTE]

Yep.

GrowingCoastal March 22, 2016 04:36 PM

I grew a stand alone tomatillo last year that had loads of fruit. Maybe it depends on the variety?

sierrahiker March 24, 2016 08:02 PM

I grew 2 of the same var and they produced very well . tags did not have var name on them!!

AlittleSalt March 24, 2016 08:24 PM

Worth, my PC wouldn't open your attachments for some reason?

EDIT: I didn't look at when this tread began.

Worth1 March 24, 2016 11:54 PM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;545280]Worth, my PC wouldn't open your attachments for some reason?

EDIT: I didn't look at when this tread began.[/QUOTE]

A whole boat load of pictures got deleted some time ago.
I sucks because I cant go back and put them in again.:(
Worth