Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Cucurbits (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Trouble with hand pollinating cucumbers (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47247)

DocBrock April 10, 2018 09:13 PM

Trouble with hand pollinating cucumbers

I've never grown cucumbers before and thought I'd try hand pollinating a few flowers because I hardly ever see bees in my yard. Do cucumbers typically have less pollen than other cucurbits? I've pollinated melons before and seems like if you rub the male flower on the stigma of the female, the stigma is caked in yellow pollen. I'm having a hard time noticing if any pollen is transferring even when using a small paintbrush that has white bristles to collect pollen from the male. Seems like there is no pollen in the male. Is it possible that the first set of flowers don't have pollen yet? It's been 2 days since I first tried and I can't tell whether or not the pollination took. The variety is Boston Pickling Cucumber. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

saltmarsh April 10, 2018 11:20 PM

The female flowers are on the end of a lilttle cucumber. If it doesn't get fertilized the little cucumber will turn yellow and drop off.

MickyT April 16, 2018 04:18 PM

I got tired of trying to hand-pollinate cucumbers so I only grow parthenocarpic varieties now..

KarenO April 16, 2018 05:42 PM

Often the first blooms of regular OP cucumbers are all males. What variety? You can google photos of male and female cucumber blossoms to compare with yours.
KarenO

Barb_FL April 16, 2018 10:34 PM

Agree with KarenO; Give it more time; the bees will come.

DocBrock April 21, 2018 08:33 PM

Bees showed up. There's so many flowers on these plants it's unreal. I kept more plants than I should of, but I couldn't help myself. They are Boston pickling cucumbers and I have them in an earthbox, with the recommended 4 per box, but I kept 2 plants per spot for a total of 8. They've grown incredibly with 2 square tomato cages placed side by side. I ended up adding 6' bamboo stakes at each corner because they grew too tall. I have about 8 bees that work on them all day and so far pollination seems pretty good. This week I harvested enough cucumbers to ferment 3 quarts of kosher dills.

KarenO April 21, 2018 09:55 PM

[QUOTE=DocBrock;696446]Bees showed up. There's so many flowers on these plants it's unreal. I kept more plants than I should of, but I couldn't help myself. They are Boston pickling cucumbers and I have them in an earthbox, with the recommended 4 per box, but I kept 2 plants per spot for a total of 8. They've grown incredibly with 2 square tomato cages placed side by side. I ended up adding 6' bamboo stakes at each corner because they grew too tall. I have about 8 bees that work on them all day and so far pollination seems pretty good. This week I harvested enough cucumbers to ferment 3 quarts of kosher dills.[/QUOTE]

Yay!! that is awesome:yes:
KarenO

Gardeneer May 8, 2018 03:25 AM

If you see bees, bumble bees, butterflies ,... probably there is no need for hand pollinating. But it is simple to do.
Pick a male flower, gently without shaking too much. Remove the petals , gently or fold back. Take it tofamale flowers and make them kiss :)) and pronounce them husband and wife.:cute: