Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Undercover Gardening™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Recommendations on Greenhouse kits (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42683)

ScottinAtlanta August 31, 2016 09:34 PM

Recommendations on Greenhouse kits

Folks, I want to build a larger greenhouse in a 14 by 25 foot area to over winter my peppers and grow some winter crops.

Any recommendations on good value for money in greenhouse kits?

My Foot Smells September 1, 2016 09:36 AM

Boom!!

[URL]https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/grd/5668586339.html[/URL]

Here is a nice one in Athens. I always peruse CL from time to time for materials and such. There was a guy building GH's in my neck of the woods that I purchased (no tax, quality). However, wish it was wider (mine is only 8' wide). DOT limits width without permit.

I think the one above is pretty darn cool. I just assumed you were in Atl., GA. I will be just north of there in October for my Niece's wedding at the Tate House.

Barbee September 1, 2016 11:26 AM

I purchased my high tunnel as a kit from Farm Tek. Dont let the prices shake you up. They are willing to negotiate.
Everything was delivered to the door. I had to purchase boards, which the exact sizes were in the instructions.

Worth1 September 1, 2016 12:01 PM

Tempered glass is the way to go, the one in the link is a steal.

Worth

ScottinAtlanta September 1, 2016 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=My Foot Smells;590193]Boom!!

[URL]https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/grd/5668586339.html[/URL]

Here is a nice one in Athens. I always peruse CL from time to time for materials and such. There was a guy building GH's in my neck of the woods that I purchased (no tax, quality). However, wish it was wider (mine is only 8' wide). DOT limits width without permit.

I think the one above is pretty darn cool. I just assumed you were in Atl., GA. I will be just north of there in October for my Niece's wedding at the Tate House.[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks! Just talked to the guy. It has been in place there for 20 years. Some broken glass panels that can't be replaced with glass and are replaced with some kind of plastic plate. I estimate cost of dissembling and moving to Atlanta, building brick foundation, and reassembling to be around $5000.

So, $10,000 investment to overwinter my peppers. Not sure about that.

My Foot Smells September 1, 2016 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=ScottinAtlanta;590224]Wow, thanks! Just talked to the guy. It has been in place there for 20 years. Some broken glass panels that can't be replaced with glass and are replaced with some kind of plastic plate. I estimate cost of dissembling and moving to Atlanta, building brick foundation, and reassembling to be around $5000.

So, $10,000 investment to overwinter my peppers. Not sure about that.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya'. Post was moreso a marker to check craigslist periodically. A lot of people order GH kits and never use, and others are willing to sell dirt cheap. A hoop house would probably suffice in ATL, as winters are not terribly bad with the exception of about a soft 6 week stretch through Feb.

I find the double walled hoop house to be an effective insulator (blower between sheets) and a radiant heater if things dip. Also a water bed heater can be used to set pots on to keep bottom warm - they are cheap.

GL

Worth1 September 1, 2016 01:48 PM

((ANY)) broken glass panel can be replaced with glass, you just have to be willing to pay for it.
I could make the curved ones myself out of poly or any other type material.
Just not glass because I have no way of tempering it.
Worth

Cole_Robbie September 1, 2016 05:58 PM

You should check your local zoning/hoa rules first, as to what they allow.

ScottinAtlanta September 1, 2016 06:54 PM

Atlanta is a garden friendly zone. Greenhouses need no permits, because the city council wants to reduce food deserts and improve nutrition.

Cole_Robbie September 1, 2016 07:01 PM

Are you not subject to an homeowner's association?

Worth1 September 1, 2016 07:10 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;590306]Are you not subject to an homeowner's association?[/QUOTE]

He lives in an antebellum home this would mean the property had been around way longer than an HOA.
Ours got dis-banned several years ago due to lack of interest.:lol:

Worth

ScottinAtlanta September 1, 2016 07:13 PM

Georgia is not the People's Republic of Massachusetts. :)

Father'sDaughter September 1, 2016 11:38 PM

Correction -- it's the People's Republic of Taxachusetts.

kayrobbins September 2, 2016 06:16 AM

I have wanted to get one of the Solexx kits but would have to hire someone to assemble it. They come in lots of sizes and options. They are carried by lots of suppliers and the prices vary so it is always good to check several.

[url]http://www.solexx.com/solexx-conservatory-greenhouse.html[/url]

PureHarvest September 3, 2016 09:06 AM

You can get a double poly overwintering structure for less than $2,000.
Would be called by some a cold-frame.
Real galvanized tube frame, not pvc or chincy steel. Basically the same components of a full-size greenhouse, just not as tall or long and wide.

See:

[URL="https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft_high_tunnels_cold_frames;pg103108.html"]https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft_high_tunnels_cold_frames;pg103108.html[/URL]

[URL="http://store.rimolgreenhouses.com/Catamount_15_x_48_p/cm1548.htm"]http://store.rimolgreenhouses.com/Catamount_15_x_48_p/cm1548.htm[/URL]

ScottinAtlanta September 3, 2016 10:27 AM

Can rats, squirrels, chipmunks and mice chew through the 4mm poly sheets? We are overrun with the varmints down here.

Cole_Robbie September 3, 2016 01:39 PM

Most poly is 6mm. It is surprisingly strong. A pressure washer will not damage it. Not that you have to worry about snow, but a single layer of 6mm was enough to collapse my high tunnel from snow, without tearing the plastic first. It pulled five 4x4 posts set in concrete, at each end, about two feet at the top. The force required was enormous. My other greenhouse held, by my guess, over 2,000 pounds of snow and ice on the plastic with no damage.

If you use double-layer poly, you'll need an inflation blower. Use outside air to inflate. Also, if you have roll-up sides, use a single layer for that part, not a double, because it can't be inflated. Without inflation, the layers of plastic rub together and turn cloudy very quickly.

The newer plastic has an "infrared block" quality to it. It is opaque, not clear. It is a lot better about not getting too hot in full sun. Clear plastic will make a solar cooker in the late spring and summer.

Worth1 September 3, 2016 02:39 PM

[QUOTE=ScottinAtlanta;590653]Can rats, squirrels, chipmunks and mice chew through the 4mm poly sheets? We are overrun with the varmints down here.[/QUOTE]

Scott I have had them chew through thick plastic tots to get to bird food.

That is what these critters do chew chew chew.

Worth

ScottinAtlanta September 3, 2016 08:42 PM

Folks, I have decided to build a greenhouse using old house windows that people are throwing in dumpsters around here. Thanks for all your suggestions - I looked at them all, considered carefully, and decided that the best thing that will work for me is a glass greenhouse, customized to my lot, and built of free stuff that would otherwise go into the landfill. I will post a photo here when the 14 by 25 foot greenhouse is done.

PhilaGardener September 3, 2016 09:10 PM

Sounds good, can't wait to see it!

Worth1 September 3, 2016 09:36 PM

I have seen some bad a$$ green houses made from throw away windows.
Don't forget the sides (North) away from the angel of the sun dont need glass.

Cole_Robbie September 5, 2016 01:33 AM

Those old windows were made to be mounted vertically. They are great for that purpose in your greenhouse. However, they were never meant to be a roof. You will have to overcome the issue of water pooling on them, and you won't want to be underneath them the first time a decent-sized hail stone hits, or it will maim you for life.

ScottinAtlanta September 5, 2016 09:53 AM

Hail isn't an issue here in Atlanta (well, except once in a decade or so), but tree limbs are the big issue. I am thinking of putting crosswise 2x2s across the roof to try to reduce the impact of falling limbs, but I am sure I will need to replace panes now and then.

pecker88 September 6, 2016 06:22 PM

Here is my hightunnel build
[url]http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=39087[/url]

Get a $75 jig and bend your own hoops, you'll save thousands.
Look up HOA and city bldg permit info. My thread has tons of info about that.

Def. go for double poly. You dont need an inflation blower. I used spacer blocks between the layers, they work great.

Im finishing a 100 ft run of conduit...electric and 1/2" gas line. The cold spring almost got my toms. That wont happen now. So, think about heat now, you'll likely want to add it later.

Cole_Robbie September 6, 2016 06:25 PM

I'm trying to think how to keep water from pooling along the downhill edges of the window panes. Maybe some clear silicone on those places would do the trick. If water sits anywhere, it will rot the wood.

Worth1 September 6, 2016 07:30 PM

I would just pull the glass and make my own frames it it was wood..
What a frigging pain.:lol:

Worth

ScottinAtlanta September 6, 2016 08:30 PM

[QUOTE=Cole_Robbie;591248]I'm trying to think how to keep water from pooling along the downhill edges of the window panes. Maybe some clear silicone on those places would do the trick. If water sits anywhere, it will rot the wood.[/QUOTE]

Great idea.

imp September 6, 2016 11:01 PM

What about using those rigid poly type sheets thingies for the roof area only? Less likely to get chewed through there, and would let rain run off, plus if they broke, not as dangerous as glass.

Just a thought- I know nothing about building anything.

pecker88 September 7, 2016 09:49 AM

In my opinion: By the time you finish "modding" used windows so they work for your structure you could have finished the GH if new GH specific products were used.

The last thing I'd want to do is try and invent something only to have it work "so so" after all that time and effort.

Use products for how they were intended, my opinion only.

imp September 7, 2016 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=imp;591295]What about using those rigid poly type sheets thingies for the roof area only? Less likely to get chewed through there, and would let rain run off, plus if they broke, not as dangerous as glass.

Just a thought- I know nothing about building anything.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't very clear, sorry.

I meant that using the poly whatevers, and allowing for a slight over hang - like a house roof has- and the windows for the wall areas.

I think with the poly sheets you could also set up rain guttering to catch water and use it.

I'm babbling now.