Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Tomato Jelly recipe (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=11361)

Deere Guy June 2, 2009 09:13 PM

Tomato Jelly recipe

As a young lad, I mowed grass for an older lady whose husband had recently passed away. He was a gardner and very good at it. He grew okra, tomatoes, potatoes, lettuce and he even grafted his own variety of grape. I met him 2 years before his passing, and had the fortune to spend some time with them around harvest when he needed help. In addition to a modest cash payment, she would also give me some tomato jelly that she made herself. It was a beautiful vibrant light red color and I seem to recall that she kept some of the seeds in the jelly also.

I was curious if anyone else has had such a wonderful tomato jelly before?

What would be a good choice of tomato for such a recipe?

Does anybody else have a tried and true recipe for tomato jelly that they would be willing to share? (I've found a few with the google, but was hoping for a recipe with some history since I am unable to find the one from my childhood)

Thanks for any direction.

Brett

piegirl June 3, 2009 10:40 PM

Brett - perhaps you are referring to tomato preserves? Our family made tp almost every year and I still make it on occasion. Mine is generally clear w/ tomato pieces and thinly sliced lemons. And we are practically neighbors (Nebraska/Kansas) this could be what you looking for. Let me know and I will post the recipe. I am originally from central Ne. piegirl

Penny June 4, 2009 06:41 AM

That does sound good, i've never tried it before, but it has me curious now to do so.

Deere Guy June 4, 2009 07:30 AM

[quote=piegirl;132860]Brett - perhaps you are referring to tomato preserves? Our family made tp almost every year and I still make it on occasion. Mine is generally clear w/ tomato pieces and thinly sliced lemons. And we are practically neighbors (Nebraska/Kansas) this could be what you looking for. Let me know and I will post the recipe. I am originally from central Ne. piegirl[/quote]

Piegirl,

I read your post last night and decided to sleep on it and see what my memory came up with. I'm not sure, but you might be right. I was young and it was good. We called it jelly, but tomato preserves might be the correct terminology. The one thing I can not remember is if there were tomato pieces in addition to the seeds. I guess I will have to try both methods.

I would love to try your recipe! Thank you very much.

Have you tried many different types of tomatoes? Or has your family settled on one "perfect" variety?

Thanks again.

Brett

piegirl June 4, 2009 10:16 PM

Brett - here is my family's recipe:

Equal amounts of tomatoes and sugar - but not more than 4-5 cups of each per batch. One medium size lemon sliced very very thin. Mush up with a potato masher. I actually let the mixture sit for several hours so the sugar dissolves. This is a very forgiving recipe.

Cook slowly to begin with and keep cooking until the mixture becomes shiney and thicker. These will never be thick jam-like but somewhat runny and the stickest substance around. It is ok if you need to leave and do something else - just turn off the stove and then bring back to boil the next morning. This takes quite a number of hours but the more cooking, the more tomato flavor.

I believe there are several threads with similar recipes on this site. Piegirl

Colorado_west June 7, 2009 08:29 PM

Tomato Jelly

2 3/4 tomato juice
2 T lemon juice
Several drops of hot sauce
1 box fruit pectin
4 c sugar

Combine tomato juice, lemon juice hot sauce and pectin in large pan. Bring to boil over high heat, Stir in sugar. bring to full rolling boil. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat , Skim off foam. Pour in to jelly glasses and seal.

This from old canning book. Now they would say sterlized jars and a water bath. You did boil the jars back then to have them sterile. I have not tried. I make tomato preserves and that has lemon and stick cinnamon. The whole tomato.

Deere Guy June 8, 2009 08:24 AM

Thank you both for the recipes. I will try both this year.

I'm trying to figure out what she made. I can't decide if it is me that is hung up on the word "jelly" or what. I'm 90% sure that she called it jelly and that it was a clear red/pink color with seeds and full of flavor.

Either way, I look forward to trying both recipes.

Thanks for sharing!

Brett

Colorado_west June 8, 2009 04:02 PM

I think one could use some cinnamon instead of hot sauce. I just added sliced lemons to the preserves. Take out lemon seed.

Penny June 9, 2009 06:57 AM

These recipes sound really good, might have to try one too.

season79 July 26, 2009 11:04 PM

[I]I wonder if it could be the mock raspberry jam? It's pink and contains tomatoes,sugar, and raspberry gelatin.[/I]