Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Edibles (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   lesser known vegetables (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=5753)

orflo July 3, 2007 03:36 PM

lesser known vegetables

I am a great fan of lesser known vegetables, oca, mashua, chinese Yam, lathyrus tuberosis, ullucus, maca, ... and I can go on. Is there anyone else growing similar vegetables, I get the impression everybody is growing garlic ,onion,cabbage, tomato ,pepper,and other 'classic' stuff( i also grow these, so no offense), but I want to widen the view, there are so many unknown and good things, asparagus pea,yacon, and so on. Anyone trying some of this?
Frank

Miss_Mudcat July 3, 2007 04:26 PM

The only thing different that I grow is Broccoli rapini or Raab, but I dont' really think it's that different. When I lived in Wisconsin, our neighbors thought that okra was really different. I guess it's all in the geography, hmmm?

Lisa

jwr6404 July 3, 2007 08:27 PM

I'm growing the Adapazari Squash from Turkish seeds as well as the Hmong Red Cucumber.

garnetmoth August 24, 2008 10:35 AM

How about Camissa and Sunset Hibiscus?

johno August 24, 2008 01:01 PM

Gbogname eggplant (for greens.)

garnetmoth August 26, 2008 10:18 AM

those sound interesting Johno. Ive been trying strange greens. Our kept rabbits loved the erba stella, but we didnt, have tried to get Shungiku chrysanthemum to grow from seed but they dont make it very big. also got some seed for okahijiki (land seaweed) and Orach to try... and huazontle.

I dont have to grow obscure things, i just like it! the malabar spinach has been so-so this year, probably not quite hot enough for it.

Tomaat October 4, 2008 05:43 PM

This year, I grow iceplant(mesembryanthemun Crystallinum), Okajihiri, edible chrysanthemun(tung ho), luffa, bitter gourd, wax gourd, NZ spinach, Oca (trying to overwinter them now) along with the classic ones.
Next year will try Jerusalem Artichoke, Okra, Achocha, Globe Artichoke, katuk leaves (Sauropus Androgynus) and perhaps the japanese burdoc and soja beans.

habitat_gardener October 5, 2008 11:37 PM

I love unusual vegetables, especially perennials. I'm growing yacon and walking kale. I planted my extra yacon plants all over the garden since reading they're supposed to be good for soil building. Still haven't tried the leaves, which are also edible.

Last year I tried La Vigneronne half-runner beans (best I've tasted) and long beans (also called asparagus beans). I've tried several greens I haven't liked: edible chrysanthemum, red-ribbed dock, orach, spinach.

I grow a variety of kales and broccolis as perennials. In addition to the monster walking kales, I have purple sprouting broccoli, peacock kale/broccoli, black or tuscan or dinosaur kale, red russian kale, and maybe a couple others.

Moonglow May 6, 2009 07:14 PM

I'm going to try asparagus peas ([I]Tetragonolobus purpurea)[/I] and winged bean [I](Psophocarpus tetragonolobus[/I]) this season. The latter is one of my favorite "traditional vegetables" of the Philippines.

garnetmoth September 9, 2009 09:38 AM

so Habitat how do those Yacon taste?

Im growing Indian Shot canna (Arrowroot powder source) this year- seems to be doing well but wont know until I lift the roots!

habitat_gardener September 13, 2009 01:08 AM

garnet, I really enjoy the yacon tubers. They're crunchy, sort of like jicama, but sweet, sort of a sweet earthy taste with undertones of -- what? -- something herby and very slightly bitter. You're supposed to be able to harvest as needed, but I find that when I start digging, pieces break off and so I end up harvesting the whole plant at once. I've seen yacon syrup for sale at the Whole Foods store!

I always have lots of propagules to give away (usually at the community garden or at a local plant exchange). At the community garden, I've noticed only one other person grows them every year. They do take a lot of space -- 5 ft. wide or more, and 5-7 ft. high, though the one I've planted between Fox Cherry, KB(not X), and Caspian Pink is so far fairly well behaved. Also, they need a long season to get any size, and lots of water. I planted mine in April and only one of them is a good size. The ones in the shade are only a couple feet high. I've kept some in containers, where they survive but stay quite small and don't produce big tubers.

I read that the leaves were edible, so I tried some last year. They're not good raw, and not good steamed. I'll have to find that reference and find out how they were prepared.

gardenfrog September 23, 2009 02:04 AM

I'm growing Achocha (Wild cucumber that used to be a staple of the Incas that tastes between cucumber and bell pepper) and Exploding Cucumber (more of a novelty).

garnetmoth September 23, 2009 11:36 AM

Hi gardenfrog- I read that Achocha tastes good from someone on SSE forum too! they look cute. that sounds really tasty.

I am growing tindora (ivy gourd) this year, its done OK with benign neglect, has gotten some mold and had some dieback but is better if I pluck affected leaves. Slightly less crisp than Id like raw, good in a masala sauce.

gardenfrog September 23, 2009 10:59 PM

The Achocha is just now producing for me, liking the cooler days of the season. My seed source is Bolivia, so that explains alot! If I have enough fruits I'll offer it through SSE, too, and through trading with my gardening friends online. : )

nolabelle October 12, 2013 02:39 PM

This is an old thread, but I have newly discovered a vegetable that I want to grow. The Jerusalem artichoke. I know it has nothing to do with artichokes, but its value as a diabetic starch substitute is very interesting. Not to mention that it is easy to grow and invasive. I can deal with the invasive part.

I suppose most seed tubers for these (and potatoes) don't become available until the early part of next year. All places I checked were sold out for 2013.

I think these tubers might be successful in my yard. I'll keep checking for starters.