Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   2017 Container Garden-Tijuana, Baja California Norte, México (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=44394)

Gerardo March 29, 2017 11:56 PM

2017 Container Garden-Tijuana, Baja California Norte, México

33 Attachment(s)
Starting a new thread to document progress.

Some work put in this weekend.

Two ends of my new wires, 4 total, about 5 m length each, 1/8 inch galvanized
[ATTACH]71128[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]71129[/ATTACH]

Here are some trusses and assorted greenery, somewhat muted and upset after getting a dose of Copper fungicide early this AM.

[ATTACH]71095[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]71096[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]71097[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]71098[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]71099[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]71100[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]71102[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]71103[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]71104[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]71105[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]71106[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]71107[/ATTACH]

Tumbling Tom doing well in a 1 gallon pot, new home soon.

[ATTACH]71101[/ATTACH]

A trio of Pravda
[ATTACH]71110[/ATTACH]

Dora, outstanding flavor
[ATTACH]71111[/ATTACH]

Fish L. Oxheart, Detskij Sladkij, OR117 (I hope they do great, last year it was like eating mangos)
[ATTACH]71112[/ATTACH]

Fred's TD and others
[ATTACH]71113[/ATTACH]

L to R, Fred's TD, Bushy Chab., Czech Bush
[ATTACH]71114[/ATTACH]

Gribovsky sharing home with Pink Gaetano
[ATTACH]71115[/ATTACH]

Harding x Choc Cherry
[ATTACH]71116[/ATTACH]

MoCross Elgin 9
[ATTACH]71117[/ATTACH]

More dwarfs
[ATTACH]71118[/ATTACH]

More koroleva
[ATTACH]71119[/ATTACH]

MX Midget, Gribovsky, and lots of peppers
[ATTACH]71120[/ATTACH]

koroleva with Donkey Ears and Serrano (overwintered)
[ATTACH]71121[/ATTACH]

rest of the row
[ATTACH]71122[/ATTACH]

Stormin Normin, what beautiful trusses you have
[ATTACH]71123[/ATTACH]

Pepper seeds I rescued from a tray mishap, they germinated better than their tray coddled counterparts, and show nice vigor despite being out at nights from day 1.

Separating these shortly, with careful dissection of the roots to minimize shock.

Some rare ones in here, all will be labeled [I]Chile Misterio[/I], which in another context can be read as [I]unknown father.[/I]
[ATTACH]71124[/ATTACH]

Detskij Sladkij, Sladjik Ponchik waiting for new home, a pepper and Tastywines on the right.
[ATTACH]71125[/ATTACH]

Sweet Pepper, vigorous little plants. Can't wait to taste these and save seeds.
[ATTACH]71126[/ATTACH]

Syrian Goat Horn
[ATTACH]71127[/ATTACH]

Deborah March 30, 2017 12:18 AM

How on earth do you find the time to care for them all? And have a life? Impressive!

efisakov March 30, 2017 06:04 AM

Gerardo, how many varieties of tomatoes and how many varieties of peppers do you have growing at the moment? Just amazing.

ginger2778 March 30, 2017 07:25 AM

I can't get over all the work! And you never seem to get tired!
I haven’t tried Storming Norman, I did try Sinister Minister, it's brother. That was a great little cherry. Reverend Michael Keyes is another MF from that line, I am growing this current season, excellent.

Beautiful and enviable as usual. Sadly my tomato plants are starting to wind down but the mangoes pineapples, and bananas are cranking up fast.

Gerardo March 30, 2017 12:54 PM

[QUOTE=Deborah;628431]How on earth do you find the time to care for them all? And have a life? Impressive![/QUOTE]

Thanks Deb, I work from my computer, so after a few hours of screen time I do an hour or two of garden work, keeps my head from exploding.

[QUOTE=efisakov;628448]Gerardo, how many varieties of tomatoes and how many varieties of peppers do you have growing at the moment? Just amazing.[/QUOTE]

I haven't done a tally yet, just growing the things I like ad hoc. Guesstimating, I'd say about 140 tomato plants and 40 peppers. I still have room for some more, and then there's the cukes to consider. Gonna be a busy spring.

[QUOTE=ginger2778;628453]I can't get over all the work! And you never seem to get tired!
I haven’t tried Storming Norman, I did try Sinister Minister, it's brother. That was a great little cherry. Reverend Michael Keyes is another MF from that line, I am growing this current season, excellent.

Beautiful and enviable as usual. Sadly my tomato plants are starting to wind down but the mangoes pineapples, and bananas are cranking up fast.[/QUOTE]

Cool to hear it's from the same line Marsha 'cause I enjoyed RMK. I do get tired, it's just that gardening substitutes for gym time.

A few questions Marsha, since you are our FL ambassador.

How many months do you have to shut down due to heat?
Do only the tropicals grow during that period?
Do people still grow things in controlled environments?

AKmark March 30, 2017 01:07 PM

Nice work, I hope you have a fantastic crop, lots of flavors in there.

Jimbotomateo March 30, 2017 01:34 PM

Love it all Gerardo!. Glad you have the energy to create and maintain that great garden environment! I have four fence posts and would like to copy your cable system. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, . Jimbo

Gerardo March 30, 2017 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=AKmark;628506]Nice work, I hope you have a fantastic crop, lots of flavors in there.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mark, lots of variety and with some staggered plantings the crop should start in July and continue into December.

BTW, my Odoriko from the same packet have not come up and it's been 14+ days. I may have sent you duds.

ginger2778 March 30, 2017 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=Gerardo;628505]Thanks Deb, I work from my computer, so after a few hours of screen time I do an hour or two of garden work, keeps my head from exploding.

I haven't done a tally yet, I just growing the things I like ad hoc. Guesstimating, I'd say about 140 tomato plants and 40 peppers. I still have room for some more, and then there's the cukes to consider. Gonna be a busy spring.

Cool to hear it's from the same line Marsha 'cause I enjoyed RMK. I do get tired, it's just that gardening substitutes for gym time.

A few questions Marsha, since you are our FL ambassador.

How many months do you have to shut down due to heat?
Do only the tropicals grow during that period?
Do people still grow things in controlled environments?[/QUOTE]

Usually every tomato is done by June, then I am starting new seeds at around the last week August, so 2 months? Cucumbers, chard and Okra do very well in the heat, and peppers limp along producing a little. Diehards even grow Everglades tomatoes here in the summer, they will set fruit, sparingly. I can't be bothered, it takes about 20 to make a spoonful, and the stem end skin tears when you pick them.
Some people grow in greenhouses that they actually air conditioning, but those are the pro growers. I would hate to see their electric bill, lol!

wildcat62 March 30, 2017 01:51 PM

Great pics

Gerardo March 30, 2017 01:58 PM

[QUOTE=Jimbotomateo;628508]Love it all Gerardo!. Glad you have the energy to create and maintain that great garden environment! I have four fence posts and would like to copy your cable system. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, . Jimbo[/QUOTE]

It's pretty simple to hook up. The only tip I can offer is to use vise grips for the initial stringing up. That is to say, after you've created your 1st loop on one end and are starting the process on the other end, put the wire through the eye and then hold it there with a good pair of vise grips.

The vise grips will hold the wire taut while you apply the wire rope clamps, allowing you to get it nice and tight.

My materials were cheap, as I bought some things on the US side and the metalworks on the MX side.

The wood was at a decent price, untreated for 77 pesos, about 4.50 USD. The buried-cemented end I doused with diesel to prolong the life a bit, probably won't make a difference.

Ironically, cement mix is cheaper in the US, so I went with the $3-4 quickrete for 90 lbs, used up 3 bags for 8 poles.

The wire itself was 11 pesos per meter, so about 60 cents USD per yard.

The closed loops were about 50 cents USD, and the most expensive item was the tensioner, running a whopping 57.40, which comes out to 3 USD.

It's relatively simple to install, and if you're tool oriented, I don't foresee you having any issues.

Gerardo March 30, 2017 02:01 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;628511]Usually every tomato is done by June, then I am starting new seeds at around the last week August, so 2 months? Cucumbers, chard and Okra do very well in the heat, and peppers limp along producing a little. Diehards even grow Everglades tomatoes here in the summer, they will set fruit, sparingly. I can't be bothered, it takes about 20 to make a spoonful, and the stem end skin tears when you pick them.
Some people grow in greenhouses that they actually air conditioning, but those are the pro growers. I would hate to see their electric bill, lol![/QUOTE]

Good to hear. I'm considering a move to more tropical climates so I may join you in your Caribbean heat endeavors.

Those electric bills must be something.

Are there flowers that do well during those two months?

PS. copper has been working out great, I only fried them once when I got a little too generous with the blue stuff. At 50 to 75% strength, it's awesome.

Gerardo March 30, 2017 02:03 PM

[QUOTE=wildcat62;628513]Great pics[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

Jimbotomateo March 30, 2017 02:21 PM

[QUOTE=Gerardo;628516]It's pretty simple to hook up. The only tip I can offer is to use vise grips for the initial stringing up. That is to say, after you've created your 1st loop on one end and are starting the process on the other end, put the wire through the eye and then hold it there with a good pair of vise grips.

The vise grips will hold the wire taut while you apply the wire rope clamps, allowing you to get it nice and tight.

My materials were cheap, as I bought some things on the US side and the metalworks on the MX side.

The wood was at a decent price, untreated for 77 pesos, about 4.50 USD. The buried-cemented end I doused with diesel to prolong the life a bit, probably won't make a difference.

Ironically, cement mix is cheaper in the US, so I went with the $3-4 quickrete for 90 lbs, used up 3 bags for 8 poles.

The wire itself was 11 pesos per meter, so about 60 cents USD per yard.

The closed loops were about 50 cents USD, and the most expensive item was the tensioner, running a whopping 57.40, which comes out to 3 USD.

It's relatively simple to install, and if you're tool oriented, I don't foresee you having any issues.[/QUOTE]

That's cheating Gerardo :lol:. Wish I could pop over the border and score some stuff.:lol:. Materials I mean.:roll:. That tensioner price blows my mind! . Never would have thought of vise grips. I haven't used mine in years.:lol:. Thanks . Jimbo :)

TexasTycoon March 31, 2017 03:27 PM

Gerardo, your garden is always so impressive. Can't wait to see how the season fares for you. Thanks for sharing!