Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Goluboy Les (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=46333)

JosephineRose December 26, 2017 12:55 PM

Goluboy Les

Hello all,

I've been AWOL around here since I unexpectedly had to become a caregiver for my father in September right as I was beginning my busy work travel season. I've been treading water for months now, and my fall tomato garden went neglected.

I'm sitting here in my office looking a potatoes and garlic I never planted, as I only have a community garden plot and an earthbox garden at the shop of our family business. I cannot get the time to get to either, and I am feeling guilty about the extreme neglect.

Then last week I was delighted to receive a surprise package from the lovely folks at Delectation of Tomatoes - four packets of a Russian variety called Goluboy Les. Is anyone familiar with this variety?

I have two packets I can share with anyone who is interested in trying it, just PM.

But thank you to Delectation of Tomatoes for the well-timed reminder that I need to get back to the garden, and the gift of an incentive to do so.

JosephineRose December 26, 2017 02:55 PM

From the seed packet:

Small, spherical fruits with stunning deep purple color where are exposed to full sunlight; deep brick red inside. Unlike many "blue" tomatoes, flavor is excellent: rich, juicy and delicious, especially since it's also once of the earliest to ripen; 69 days. Indeterminate, regular leaf vines are impressively productive and produced well even after several light frosts and under harsh conditions. Seeds from Natalia Khilenko of Armavir, Russia; translates to "Blue Forest."

JosephineRose December 26, 2017 02:57 PM

Would love to hear from anyone here in the SF Bay Area who would also like to try these. I'd happily share.

I believe the intent of the gift was to get a sense of how they grow regionally.

I intend to offer seeds to others at my community garden plot to help with this.

MdTNGrdner December 26, 2017 03:51 PM

How exciting to receive those seeds, with the incentive to get your hands back into the dirt again - perhaps it is time to 'ground' more, especially with life's changes! :yes:

Best wishes to you for the New Year!!

Andrey_BY December 26, 2017 11:18 PM

Goluboy Les (Голубой Лес) is an American antho tomato variety called Bosque Blue from J&L Gardens (New Mexico, USA).
The name has been translated from Spanish/English to Russian.

Be cafeful of translated names!))

rhoder551 December 27, 2017 12:00 AM

I'd like to try these if still available. I have a community garden plot in Marin County.

JosephineRose December 27, 2017 01:12 AM

Thank you Andrey!

JosephineRose December 27, 2017 01:13 AM

[QUOTE=rhoder551;675813]I'd like to try these if still available. I have a community garden plot in Marin County.[/QUOTE]

Sure, PM me your info and I will send out!

rhoder551 December 28, 2017 01:08 AM

I don't really need a pack but I'd like to start some seeds a share seedlings with my fellow community gardeners....we all like to try new tomato varieties. I'll PM you, thanks.

rhoder551 January 8, 2018 06:11 PM

Hi,
Just got the seeds in the mail... thank you!