Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Mark's 2018 crop (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47167)

mobiledynamics June 18, 2018 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=AKmark;704813]There are many environmental factors that will affect growth. Rain, very hot sun, wind, etc, etc. You will need to adjust for your situation. For example, sun scald in Texas, leave a few extra leaves, rain in Washington, don't water as heavy, etc.

You can adjust and still use any technique you wish in principle. You must experiment though to find the best way forward for your area, if you don't you will never know what that is.

Keep putting the water and food to them.

Enjoy, experimenting is fun.[/QUOTE]

Heh. From you're post, seems like you have it all d1aled in ;-)
All you need to do is make sure the water bill is paid on time and it's all gravy :twisted:

AKmark June 19, 2018 04:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I was working on these for a market tomato, but the taste is just not quite what I am after. They have been good, but started out kinds blah this year and now they are decent. Heading to the pressure cooker. This is PL Black Krim x PL Early Girl F3. This is the last time we will try them.

The other row is Mat-su Express, and they are super, people keep asking for them by name.

These are all two plants in 5 gallon and pruned to a single stem.

The other plant was grown in a 4 inch container, the fruit was awesome tasting.

efisakov June 19, 2018 07:30 PM

AKmark, you are awesome! 4 inch container with this tomatoes is what makes you a professional grower. Excellent! Thank you.

I was proud to have 20 pounds from a plant, 30 was pushing it. You were mentioning about 60 pounds in the past, I know why.

👏👏👏👏👏

AKmark June 19, 2018 08:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=efisakov;705078]AKmark, you are awesome! 4 inch container with this tomatoes is what makes you a professional grower. Excellent! Thank you.

I was proud to have 20 pounds from a plant, 30 was pushing it. You were mentioning about 60 pounds in the past, I know why.

👏👏👏👏👏[/QUOTE]

Well thanks, we are getting better, but have a bunch to tidy up before I consider patting myself on the back too much. Actually my best from a weighed up plants fruit was 50 pounds off of Delicious and German Queen too.

Here is a couple of plants plant I grew in a couple of 6 pack two inch cells. Got delicious ripe fruit. LOL

A couple of nice truss pics off of the canning tomatoes also.

mobiledynamics June 20, 2018 06:21 AM

OMG. I could not ever think that would be possible. The roots grow gangbusters once the tomato plants settle it. Water/food aside, literally in that small little itty bitty container, don't the roots literally choke themselves to death

ginger2778 June 20, 2018 07:27 AM

[QUOTE=mobiledynamics;705127]OMG. I could not ever think that would be possible. The roots grow gangbusters once the tomato plants settle it. Water/food aside, literally in that small little itty bitty container, don't the roots literally choke themselves to death[/QUOTE]

It is a paradigm shift, isn't it? It's remarkable.

mobiledynamics June 25, 2018 06:40 PM

Mark. Mind I ask. It may be different as I know you are feeding these baby giants like it's a IV solution and your are having your media/leaf anaylysed... How often are you putting CalMag in your watering schedule ?

akgardengirl June 25, 2018 08:51 PM

Oh wow Mark!

Tomzhawaii June 26, 2018 02:07 PM

From AKmark to me.
I have used it on demo plants for customers in my retail Greenhouse. I sell some fertilizers products , so I prove their worthiness then customers can just see them work. I used a quite a bit to get to 1500ppm, then added 3ml of Cal-Mag per gallon on top of that. Results were good.
It is helping mine too

Gerardo June 26, 2018 02:27 PM

4in container Pic is awesome. If you don't mind, it'll be exhibit A when I debate container size.
To bad about those BKxEarly Girl.

jmsieglaff June 26, 2018 02:43 PM

Never get tired of your pictures Mark, just awesome! Keep em coming!

AKmark June 27, 2018 12:35 AM

[QUOTE=mobiledynamics;705851]Mark. Mind I ask. It may be different as I know you are feeding these baby giants like it's a IV solution and your are having your media/leaf anaylysed... How often are you putting CalMag in your watering schedule ?[/QUOTE]

You should use it every time you water. I actually should pump mine up a bit.

Well thanks everyone, it is really a pretty simple operation.

AKmark June 28, 2018 01:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of Big Dena, a popular GH tomato. They are big and are good. The other is called Rico, it was gifted to me by an old timer up here who stabilized a hybrid from somewhere. He could not remember much about it, he said it did not have a name but had a number. He named it Rico years ago. It is very tasty, and these are the tomatoes from the seeds I saved from the tomato he gave me. I think I will pass these around.

efisakov June 28, 2018 06:01 AM

These are beautiful looking fruits. Is Rico orange tomato?

Both varieties are PL, as I can see. Are most tomatoes in your GH PL varieties? Do you see any difference in production between PL and RL for you? The number of hours they have sun in your area is significantly higher than in some other areas in the world.

ginger2778 June 28, 2018 07:27 AM

[QUOTE=AKmark;706253]Here is a pic of Big Dena, a popular GH tomato. They are big and are good. The other is called Rico, it was gifted to me by an old timer up here who stabilized a hybrid from somewhere. He could not remember much about it, he said it did not have a name but had a number. He named it Rico years ago. It is very tasty, and these are the tomatoes from the seeds I saved from the tomato he gave me. I think I will pass these around.[/QUOTE]

I love these 2 photos, and I love seeing the gardener/farmer hands.