Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Growing In Containers (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Mark's 2018 crop (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=47167)

AKmark April 1, 2018 01:21 PM

[QUOTE=Salsacharley;692729]Marvelous! How many people does it take to keep your operation running so well?[/QUOTE]

We have 10 people working here, most of the labor is doing floral stuff until June, then we do much more production of produce. I get this little GH until then, the wife gets the rest. LOL

AKmark April 9, 2018 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The plants are really starting to grow. I am running about 1400ppm, the effects of the cold root zones are fading now, P is moving in the plants much better. I let it get about 90 degrees for a couple of days, that shook off the cold.

Several tomatoes are set now, Mat-Su Express leads the way, some of our other crosses have some fruit set too. Here we go.

MissS April 9, 2018 03:23 PM

Oh my gosh "here we go" is right. Your greenhouse just always amazes me. It is just a sight to behold. What you do up there I find incredible. Here I am and it's just time for me to be starting my seeds... sigh

dfollett April 9, 2018 04:19 PM

In a previous life I raised animals in an 'intensive' sort of way. I know the difficulties and risks involved in growing things that intensively. Small miscalculations are magnified dramatically. You have to do it right.

I also am amazed by what you do......

hl2601 April 9, 2018 05:36 PM

Thanks for sharing your process and your wonderful and inspiring greenhouse photos Mark! I have two Mat Su Express doing beautifully so far...

Barb_FL April 9, 2018 06:08 PM

[QUOTE=MissS;694220]Oh my gosh "here we go" is right. Your greenhouse just always amazes me. It is just a sight to behold. What you do up there I find incredible. Here I am and it's just time for me to be starting my seeds... sigh[/QUOTE]

THIS!!! Except we are in our final leg of the season; hopefully can squeeze out 2 more months.

KarenO April 9, 2018 11:06 PM

Gorgeous plants. You are an amazing grower Mark
KarenO

AKmark April 10, 2018 01:56 AM

[QUOTE=KarenO;694345]Gorgeous plants. You are an amazing grower Mark
KarenO[/QUOTE]

Well I wish I was. I think I am getting more organized and efficient, but there is so much to learn. I see issues all the time, some are dreadful, I am really working on good management to help. I think this is the most organized start I have had, we will just have to see how things progress.

Good luck this year, your Karma Pink is doing well.

AKmark April 10, 2018 02:05 AM

[QUOTE=hl2601;694255]Thanks for sharing your process and your wonderful and inspiring greenhouse photos Mark! I have two Mat Su Express doing beautifully so far...[/QUOTE]

Good luck with the Mat-Su. We have pretty good yields with them in the GH, if you prune them the fruit is bigger. They seem to be consistently pretty tasty, and an early-midseason type.

edweather April 10, 2018 09:36 AM

What everybody said! I'm speechless. Looks like quite a bit of the white stuff still outside. Of course a meteorologist has to mention that :-)

jtjmartin April 10, 2018 06:39 PM

What everyone said X2!

Thanks for sharing!

mobiledynamics April 10, 2018 07:29 PM

Mark -

I plant singles in 15G Fabrics with a 18" Cage that just barely shoehorns in.

Curious in your double plant per 5G.
Do you literally plant than on each opposing corner. Kurious ?

AKmark April 10, 2018 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=mobiledynamics;694473]Mark -

I plant singles in 15G Fabrics with a 18" Cage that just barely shoehorns in.

Curious in your double plant per 5G.
Do you literally plant than on each opposing corner. Kurious ?[/QUOTE]

I used to do 15-20 gallon, then 10, then 6, now 4-5 two plants, and that is what many major producers do.
We just plant them towards the middle, the same as one plant two stems, but the stalks wont split when we lower and move the tops over when they get too tall.
Piece of cake, 20 footers will be pulled out this fall.

Lindalana April 10, 2018 08:45 PM

Amazing. Fantastic pics and truly labor of love.
Love Matsu tomatoes, looking forward to hearing about other crosses.

mobiledynamics April 10, 2018 08:51 PM

Wowsers. Granted yours is for production in a semi controlled enviroment, where I'm outdoors. Hell, I've had some topple over due to high winds....learned to brace the cages horizontally tied to a structure.

Ehh. Maybe I should try planting doubles - I just can't wrap my head around sun/light/air doubling/tripling up