Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Amishland Heirloom Seeds - CLOSED (5-31-2020) (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=50361)

GreenThumbGal_07 June 6, 2020 10:20 PM

Amishland Heirloom Seeds - CLOSED (5-31-2020)

Just went to the Amishland Heirloom Seeds page, and there is a notice from the proprietor that she is closing up shop, no more seed sales.

[URL]https://www.amishlandseeds.com/[/URL]

"[COLOR=#EC0D0D]All seeds sales on this website have ended as of May 31st."[/COLOR]

shatbox June 8, 2020 12:54 AM

Wow, I wish I would have known. I hope she did well with the pandemic selling out almost every seller.

kath June 8, 2020 09:12 PM

I contacted her last fall asking about new varieties and when her website would be updated for the new season and she emailed back, saying that she wasn't that well and that she had lost the friend who did a lot of her seed production, so as a result she was no longer going to be able to sell seeds.
:(

KathyDC June 9, 2020 11:47 AM

That's really too bad. In this difficult economic time, I may set aside a portion of my budget this summer to support small niche seed sellers.

Andrey_BY June 10, 2020 03:37 AM

Knowing how she has been working on this seed project with so many fake variety names, better to say someting like R.I.P. Amishland. But I'm not happy too, because I'm supporting any seedsaver.
And also after so many feedbacks (from me too) about real names Lisa the owner changed them quite well several years ago...

nctomatoman June 12, 2020 06:23 PM

what Andrey said. Such ridiculous prices, such historical distortions.

KarenO June 13, 2020 06:24 PM

[QUOTE=nctomatoman;757078]what Andrey said. Such ridiculous prices, such historical distortions.[/QUOTE]

And I don’t believe a hint of anything remotely Amish ;)

KarenO

nctomatoman June 14, 2020 03:42 PM

then again, who can resist 8 dollars for 6 hand selected organic seeds!!! (snark intended)

shatbox January 3, 2021 07:43 PM

Hey y'all, Amishland Heirloom Seeds is back, but with a smaller selection. Original owner.

nctomatoman January 4, 2021 10:32 AM

In a two second scan, her Golden Queen is incorrect. That orange fruited one is a fairly recent variety that Stokes once carried - more like Jubilee. The picture of Purple Calabash is totally wrong too.

Fred Hempel January 4, 2021 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=nctomatoman;760969]In a two second scan, her Golden Queen is incorrect. That orange fruited one is a fairly recent variety that Stokes once carried - more like Jubilee. The picture of Purple Calabash is totally wrong too.[/QUOTE]

Personally, any changes to Purple Calabash would be much appreciated.

It, along with Evil Olive are the only two varieties I find horrifying enough to talk negatively about.

PaulF January 4, 2021 01:00 PM

Just another chance for the unsuspecting to be fooled. And yes, PC has to be the all-time spitter. Piegirl up in heaven will be chuckling...she insisted on growing it every year thinking it would get better.

hl2601 January 8, 2021 10:01 PM

Wait- @fredhempel can we talk a second about Evil Olive? Its currently got a spot on my grow list! Do tell...!

ddsack January 8, 2021 10:32 PM

Oh, dear! Just randomly looked at her description of Orange Russian 117, "[B]This gorgeous tomato hails from the famous seed bank of the former Soviet Union."[/B]

No, according to Tania's Tomatobase, it is a cross made by Jeff Dawson in California, crossing Georgia Streak and Russian 117. Too bad it seems to have lost it's alternate name of Dawson's Russian Oxheart somewhere along the way, that might better show it's origins.

nctomatoman January 8, 2021 11:05 PM

She pulled that years ago when she described Cherokee Purple as something "gardeners can finally grow again due to the fall of the iron curtain" or some BS like that. It is the most caveat emptor seed company I've seen (well, with the exception of one I won't mention!)