Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Seed & Plant Sources (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Brown Envelope Seeds (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=7620)

amideutch January 26, 2008 03:19 AM

Brown Envelope Seeds

What is this? A new seed vendor from across the pond in Ireland. Some interesting varieties and a few I don't see listed anywhere including SSE. She said she got started after her hobby went out of control. I was her first customer from Germany. Check it out, Ami
[URL]http://www.brownenvelopeseeds.com/index.php/shop/#Tomatoes[/URL]

carolyn137 January 26, 2008 03:51 AM

I was particularly enamoured of the tomato variety gobstopper.:roll:

cottonpicker January 26, 2008 07:14 AM

Gobstoppers = jawbreakers

LD

cdntomato January 26, 2008 08:22 AM

I really like that they've been upfront with who and why they are. Thanks for the link!

Jennifer

celestina January 26, 2008 11:22 AM

Thanks for the link Ami--I've been following links from their site and have spent the morning traveling across Europe and enjoying all the small seed companies and research going on:yes: What seeds did you end up buying?

blatanna January 26, 2008 11:30 AM

Try irish seedsavers .ie. They don't have a hugh ammount but you might find something to interest you.

amideutch January 26, 2008 12:59 PM

celestina, good question. Let me see and they are;
1. Mavritanskite
2. Dzeltenais Giant
3. Black Crimea
4. Mr. Novak

Ami

Andrey_BY January 26, 2008 03:24 PM

1. Mavritanskite=Mavritanskie (translated as "From Mauritius" from Russian). Mauritania is a country in North-West Africa. There must be an African origin, but this variety came to Latvia via Russia and then to this seed company.
2. Dzeltenais Giant sounds like Zheltyi Gigant (traslated as "Yellow Giant" from Russian). This is a well-known Russian variety which used to be sold in Latvia as well
3. Black Crimea=Black Krim
4. Barao = De Barao Chyornyi (De Barao, Black) - actually it is a Russian CV, not Latvian.

It seems to me these beautiful Irish farmer-girls have somebody in Latvia who don't know much about what he/she buy at the local seedshops. But it is much better than doing like Amishland does.

Zapotec Pleated=Zapotec Pink Ribbed
Gobstopper looks really interesting. This word is from a Russian prisoners lexicon as well :)

celestina January 26, 2008 03:53 PM

Blatanna--That's a very good site you sent along--quite a good bean selection and interesting reading. :)

blatanna January 28, 2008 12:34 PM

Celestina, glad you found it useful. Knew somebody would find something they would like. I have to say i quitelike the snall seed companies, you never know what you might find. Enjoy :)

stratcat1 January 28, 2008 01:21 PM

Gobstopper as described on Seedambassadors.org website-

Fruity and sweet, de-hybridized Sungold bred by and from Madeline McKeever of Brown Envelope Seeds.

amideutch January 29, 2008 01:30 PM

Received my order from Brown envelope seeds today and that is exactly what the seeds are package in. Seed harvest date was listed on the envelope (2 were 05 and 2 were 06) and germination was tested the following year on all and percentage given. All were certified organic IRL-OIb3-EU with picture and variety information given, very professional looking. Seed purity and my germination rates will come later in the season. Order also came with a catalog free of charge. Ami

celestina October 23, 2008 12:02 AM

Ami--

All these months later-- how did you find the germanation rates from this seed company and how was gobstopper?

stratcat1 October 23, 2008 12:27 AM

Hi, Celestina.

I acquired Gobstopper from the folks at Seedambassadors.org through their offer in the 2008 SSE Yearbook.

The cherry fruit looked interesting in appearance. Before they started to turn they were a whitish green color. They ripened to an odd yellow with green showing through their skin.

They tasted good and I will grow them again.

john

amideutch October 23, 2008 01:28 AM

celestina, I did not grow Gobstopper this year but is on my growlist for next year. The other variety I grew from Brown Envelope Seeds had no problems with germination. Stratcat, thanks for the report on Gobstopper. Ami