Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Our Garden Cookbook™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Corn and Cornmeal Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25658)

bully January 28, 2006 09:15 PM

Corn and Cornmeal Recipes

Ok here's what you do.
Buy popcorn kernels in bulk
buy brown paper bags
put 1/3 cup of popcorn into brown paper bag
staple once in the middle (though it's metal the staple is too small for the microwaves to bother it or do any damage)
Put in the micro wave and hit the popcorn button
If you don't have a popcorn setting then buy a new microwave that does....or just listen for the kernels popping and when they slow down then pull it out.
You'll burn it a few times till you figure it out.

Oh yeah..eat it with a tomato..this is a tomato recipe forum..or eat it while looking through the tomato catalogs.

bully
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/tomatobully/popcorn/popcorn.jpg[/img]

coronabarb January 29, 2006 02:17 AM

Ha, ha...that's funny, bully - 'eat with a tomato'.. :lol:

TomatoDon February 8, 2006 06:38 PM

Sprinkle in a little Tabasco before you pop and you're perfect!

Don

SelfSufficient1 February 23, 2006 10:12 PM

Sprinkle with garlic powder, parmesian cheese and salt after popping instead of butter. Healthier and less fattening. :D

bully February 26, 2006 03:43 PM

[quote=SelfSufficient1]Sprinkle with garlic powder, parmesian cheese and salt after popping instead of butter. Healthier and less fattening. :D[/quote]

And you don't get the remote all greasy

Cyn February 28, 2006 06:17 PM

Ha !

:lol:
[color=blue]Very good recipe - good use of tomatoes.
Cyn[/color]

bully March 3, 2006 08:07 PM

has anyone tried it yet?

Cyn March 3, 2006 08:58 PM

recipe

I don't have any tomatoes yet - ask me again in May
Cyn

shelleybean March 6, 2007 04:23 PM

Corn and Cornmeal Recipes

I see all kinds of recipes for cast iron skillets or little square pans but I need a big recipe for two 9 x 13 inch pans, like for a Super Bowl party. Or at least one pan and then I can double it. All I ask is that it's not dry. Thank you!

felpec March 12, 2007 06:14 PM

Don't know if this will help, but here's my favorite cornbread recipe. It's really buttery and moist. I have made this recipe in an oblong pan - mine's slightly smaller than 9 x 13, but it should be fine.

3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
4 eggs
1-14 oz. can cream style corn
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Monterey jack cheese
4 - 6 slices bacon (optional)
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
4 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1. Fry bacon, drain and chop. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat just until light and fluffy. Fold in remaining ingredients.
2. I use four 6” round x 1” deep cast iron pans to bake the cornbread*. Since you probably won’t have that size, you can use a well seasoned cast iron skillet or cornbread pan instead. Spray the cast iron with a non-stick cooking spray or rub lightly with bacon grease or vegetable oil, and add batter. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
3. You may have to increase the time depending on the size skillet you use. Also good if you stick the skillet under the broiler when cornbread is done baking to lightly brown the top crust (watch very carefully!).
*My round cast iron pans hold about 2 cups of water each. If your cast iron skillet can hold 8 cups of water, the cornbread batter won’t run over and make a mess in your oven.

shelleybean March 12, 2007 06:35 PM

Thank you! If it has bacon in it, it has to be good. ;)

felpec March 12, 2007 07:43 PM

I got that recipe from a friend in Tennessee - my DH Hates (with a capital H) dry cornbread. He says this is the best he's ever had. Hope you like it!

Adenn1 March 15, 2007 12:24 PM

I made the recipe below and really liked it...I had a quart of buttermilk that I needed to use and found this recipe. Please note that I doubled the servings from 8 to 16...so use two 9" pans.

[B]INGREDIENTS[/B][LIST][*]2-1/2 cups cornmeal[*]2 cups all-purpose flour[*]1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar[*]2/3 cup sugar[*]2 teaspoons baking soda[*]1 teaspoon salt[*]2 egg[*]2 cups buttermilk[*]1-1/2 cups vegetable oil[/LIST][B]DIRECTIONS[/B][LIST=1][*][COLOR=#333333]In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugars, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour into a greased 9-in. round or square baking pan (pan will be full). Bake at 425 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve warm.[/COLOR][/LIST]

shelleybean March 16, 2007 08:34 PM

Aha...brown sugar! Very interesting! I love the tangy flavor buttermilk gives pancakes and fried chicken too. Sounds good. Thanks, Mark!

angelique March 16, 2007 10:10 PM

Hi Mark,

Is this a thick batter? I have a 9x9 sq in. springform pan. I would love to try the recipe in this pan, but if the batter is thin....Yikes!!! :evil: