Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Gardening in the Green™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   hay or straw mulch (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36459)

TightenUp May 12, 2015 08:35 PM

hay or straw mulch

For those that use hay and straw mulch - Are you typically using straight from a bale or shredding/cutting?

BigVanVader May 12, 2015 08:54 PM

I use it from aged bales and spread it by hand about 6-8 inches deep. Straw is best but if all you have is hay it works great but sometimes has bad weed seeds in it. I normally cover hay with leaves or something to prevent germination.

Worth1 May 12, 2015 08:59 PM

Straw is the best due to no or little weed seeds.
If you use hay make sure it isn't garbage hay with stuff like grass bur seeds in it.
What ever it is it will have seeds and next year you will have to mulch again to keep the stuff from growing from the year before.
Not really a big deal but be forewarned.:)

Worth

TightenUp May 12, 2015 09:02 PM

I have straw which is herbicide free. More concerned with application than hay vs straw preference

PaulF May 12, 2015 09:20 PM

Straw mulch here applied 6-8 inches deep by breaking open the bale and spreading by hand shaking apart the "books" (I think that is what the layers are called) as I go.

TightenUp May 12, 2015 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=PaulF;471796]Straw mulch here applied 6-8 inches deep by breaking open the bale and spreading by hand shaking apart the "books" (I think that is what the layers are called) as I go.[/QUOTE]

Word!

clkeiper May 12, 2015 09:29 PM

Use straw if at all possible. Hay grows mold when wet. The biggest problem with straw for our area is the canada thistle seeds. They are "ready" at the same time wheat is ready to harvest. GRRR!

Paul, we call the hay in the sections "flakes" and I assume that most people use the term "flakes" for straw, also.

Redbaron May 12, 2015 09:37 PM

I just unroll a round bale.

Worth1 May 12, 2015 09:40 PM

[QUOTE=clkeiper;471798]Use straw if at all possible. Hay grows mold when wet. The biggest problem with straw for our area is the canada thistle seeds. They are "ready" at the same time wheat is ready to harvest. GRRR!

Paul, we call the hay in the sections "flakes" and I assume that most people use the term "flakes" for straw, also.[/QUOTE]

I call them servings because I would ride in the trailer and give each cow her serving, well maybe 4 servings as we moved along.
We kept a big rodeo bull on the place during the off season and he got a hole bail.
His name was Ghost and a big sweet pet.
Our cows were pampered.:)

As for mulch I use (free) ceder elm leaves now.

Worth

pauldavid May 12, 2015 10:36 PM

I use pine straw for mulch with good results.

pauldavid May 12, 2015 10:41 PM

Sorry- double post