Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   First Heirloom to blush is: (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=15207)

Timmah! July 12, 2010 02:47 AM

First Heirloom to blush is:

2 Attachment(s)
Brandywine. :D Picked 1, leaving the other on the vine for a time.

Sherry_AK July 12, 2010 02:57 AM

Are you out stalking that tomato in the middle of the night?!?!?!

Timmah! July 12, 2010 05:57 AM

:mask: But of course! With record setting heat, gardening at night, in the realtive cool of the low 70's is the only way to go. =) It's also a way to catch some of these devious pests unaware. :choke:

puzzley July 12, 2010 06:23 AM

Nice! Enjoy....

remy July 12, 2010 08:57 AM

I'm sure it is going to be yummy.
Remy

ubergoober July 12, 2010 03:06 PM

Nice!! I can not wait for things to start here. No so patiently waiting lol

pacmanJohn July 12, 2010 09:34 PM

I'm just a few miles up the 'Bluegrass PKWY' from you in Lawrenceburg. I have 4 Brandywine Sudduth plants but no blush yet. I've been picking SunGold for a few weeks now, and picked my first Brandywine Cherries two weeks ago (very good tomato). The first non-cherries I picked a couple of days ago were JD's, Hege, KBX and Carbon. With that hard steady rain we had this past Thursday/Friday and all of the hot temps we've had before I've started to see BER on several tomatoes :(

Timmah! July 12, 2010 09:42 PM

JD's, KBX, Black From Tula, & Cherokee Purple are all getting close for me.
I know what you mean about the rain; My Manyel & Lillian's Yellow Heirloom are wilting, so I pulled them from the holes in which I planted them, prepared some potting mix & potted them in 5 gallon buckets. If they survive, I will later cut the bottom out & prepare another hole for them with a better mix of planting media.

Tell me, how would you rate/describe the JD's, Hege, KBX and Carbon you picked?

shlacm July 12, 2010 09:49 PM

pacman - Is Brandywine Cherry the same as Babywine? I have Babywine, but they look a lot bigger than a cherry.

MrTudball July 12, 2010 10:19 PM

Congrats, timmah, although I hate you. Let us know how it tasted.

pacmanJohn July 13, 2010 01:29 PM

I've never heard of a Babywine, but from the pictures I just looked up of them they look more round than the one's I have. These look pretty much like little 'slicer' tomatoes, where the Babywine pics look more like 'salad' type tomatoes to me.

I haven't tried any of the larger tomatoes yet that I've picked. Will in the next couple of days as they are about ready to eat. I will say that I grew KBX, Hege and JD's last year and there's a reason I'm growing them again this year :) All three are very productive, fairly early and delicious in their own way. For sandwich/burgers you can't get better than JD's or Hege (maybe Brandywine but not quite as productive and not as early for me). For a tomato to slice and eat by itself KBX is a winner to me.

I've also got Cherokee Purple, Paul Robeson, Black Brandywine, Amy's Sugar Gem, Green Copia, Moskovich, Black Zebra, Carbon and Brandywine that I'm waiting on.. and Black Cherry of all things hasn't ripened yet.?. I've never grown it before but the SunGold's have been popping for 3 weeks now... Are Black Cherry normally over 60 days? SunGold were less than 40 for me, all three plants.

Gobig_or_Gohome_toms July 13, 2010 02:40 PM

Black Cherry was a few weeks behind sungold for me last year but well worth the wait mmmmmm. I do not have any growing this year but did give one away to my brother and sister in-law so I will be able to snag a few from them was at there place this weekend and I think in a few weeks they will start to get some ripe ones.

Craig

Timmah! July 13, 2010 03:45 PM

13 Attachment(s)
Brandywine:[ATTACH]14098[/ATTACH]

Aunt Ginnie's Purple:[ATTACH]14099[/ATTACH]

Black From Tula:[ATTACH]14100[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]14110[/ATTACH]

Brandywine:[ATTACH]14101[/ATTACH]

Cherokee Purple:[ATTACH]14102[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]14111[/ATTACH]

Druzba:[ATTACH]14103[/ATTACH]

Eva Purple Ball:[ATTACH]14104[/ATTACH]

JD's:[ATTACH]14105[/ATTACH]

Lillian's Yellow Heirloom:[ATTACH]14106[/ATTACH]

Sweet 100's:[ATTACH]14107[/ATTACH]

Brandywine:[ATTACH]14108[/ATTACH]

pacmanJohn July 13, 2010 07:17 PM

That's my kind of list of tomatoes Timmah. I've always wanted to grow Lillian's Yellow. Have you grown it before?

Timmah! July 13, 2010 08:00 PM

Never grown Lillian's Yellow Heirloom before. From Dr. Male's description, can't wait to try it.