Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Photo Gallery (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   HTG's 2017 Adventure in Gardening (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=43735)

heirloomtomaguy January 28, 2017 03:22 AM

HTG's 2017 Adventure in Gardening

3 Attachment(s)
Well its that time of year again. The tomatoes and peppers are sprouted and the garden is becoming renewed once again. Hope everyone has a bountiful 2017. Here are a few pics from the start of my season.

heirloomtomaguy January 28, 2017 03:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The kids helping clean up the strawberry row

heirloomtomaguy January 28, 2017 03:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My right hand man helping me to remove last years T- posts

heirloomtomaguy January 28, 2017 03:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Fresh drip tape, fertilizer, and plastic mulch. Tomorrow the rows will have bark paths and the T- posts will be driven in.

Salsacharley January 28, 2017 10:47 AM

Looking good! Why did you remove your T posts only to put them back?

dfollett January 28, 2017 10:50 AM

Impressive! A lot of work, but you have some good looking help. Great for them and you. Keep us updated.

heirloomtomaguy January 28, 2017 10:52 AM

[QUOTE=Salsacharley;614290]Looking good! Why did you remove your T posts only to put them back?[/QUOTE]

Removing them makes laying the plastic a whole lot easier and cleaner. I only have to pound in 50 or 60 today:dizzy:

heirloomtomaguy January 30, 2017 12:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Laid the isle bark, pounded in the t-posts, planted a few onions, and finished up the row of strawberries.

heirloomtomaguy January 30, 2017 12:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got my kiddos self watering container garden going. They picked Cheddar cauliflower, Romanesco, Arugala, and Pak Choy starts. They also planted seeds for Carrots, Radish, Lettuce, Chives, and a few others i can't remember.

heirloomtomaguy January 30, 2017 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
15 Saffron Crocus bulbs eager to be covered with soil.

heirloomtomaguy January 30, 2017 12:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The first round of seedlings along with My F4 selection of a striped heart shape variant from Moonlight Mile F3.

AlittleSalt January 30, 2017 01:15 AM

HTG, the pictures are all wonderful. Post #2 is priceless and part of why I garden. I have one 7 year old grandson who can't stand tomatoes (He loves Ketchup, Pizza and Spaghetti :) ), and another grandson that is 4 years old who would rather eat cherry tomatoes than candy.

nancyruhl January 30, 2017 06:20 AM

Inquiring minds need to know what is in all those planters suspended along your walls. It looks like maybe there is an irrigation line to them.

heirloomtomaguy January 30, 2017 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=AlittleSalt;614720]HTG, the pictures are all wonderful. Post #2 is priceless and part of why I garden. I have one 7 year old grandson who can't stand tomatoes (He loves Ketchup, Pizza and Spaghetti :) ), and another grandson that is 4 years old who would rather eat cherry tomatoes than candy.[/QUOTE]
Robert my son is the exact same way. He loves ketchup and pizza but would not eat a tomato to save his life:)) The good news is that he loves to grow tomatoes and my daughter loves to eat them.

[QUOTE=nancyruhl;614733]Inquiring minds need to know what is in all those planters suspended along your walls. It looks like maybe there is an irrigation line to them.[/QUOTE]
Last year i made thise wall boxes for the many micro tomato varieties i grew. I have yet to dump last years soul and rotting plants

twillis2252 January 30, 2017 10:17 AM

Thanks for sharing. Great set up.

Gerardo January 30, 2017 12:35 PM

A thing of beauty, he's got skills with a shovel there! keep 'em coming.

MissS January 30, 2017 09:14 PM

You are off to another great start! I loved looking at your garden pictures last year and am looking forward to seeing them again this year. Which were your favorite micros?

My daughter too has always disliked tomatoes. I would still have her do the annual taste test with me so that she would get a few bites in. Last year she really shocked me when I was talking about my grow list and she asked me to grow more of those amazing pink tomatoes. I asked which ones and she said that all of them were delicious and juicy.... Go figure...

carolyn137 January 30, 2017 09:29 PM

Curiousity demands that I ask if you have a full time job elsewhere, I think you said you did,but I forgot to remember.;):lol:

Carolyn

jmsieglaff January 30, 2017 10:34 PM

Love that setup! Best of luck in 2017!

How many tomato plants do you grow?

heirloomtomaguy January 30, 2017 11:01 PM

[QUOTE=MissS;614896]You are off to another great start! I loved looking at your garden pictures last year and am looking forward to seeing them again this year. Which were your favorite micros?

My daughter too has always disliked tomatoes. I would still have her do the annual taste test with me so that she would get a few bites in. Last year she really shocked me when I was talking about my grow list and she asked me to grow more of those amazing pink tomatoes. I asked which ones and she said that all of them were delicious and juicy.... Go figure...[/QUOTE]

I like dfollets mmf micro as well as one i have been working on for a while thats almost stable. I hope someday my son says a timato is delicious but as of now i doybt that will happen.

heirloomtomaguy January 31, 2017 12:31 AM

[QUOTE=carolyn137;614900]Curiousity demands that I ask if you have a full time job elsewhere, I think you said you did,but I forgot to remember.;):lol:

Carolyn[/QUOTE]
Yes Carolyn i do have a full time job at a local water utility. Most weeks i work around 45 hours but there are the heavy weeks i work 65+ every now and then. Im also on 24 hour call every 6 weeks for a week. I have my garden setup down pat. The first year of this system how ever was an endless learning curve.

[QUOTE=jmsieglaff;614907]Love that setup! Best of luck in 2017!

How many tomato plants do you grow?[/QUOTE]
I usually grow anywhere between 80 and 150 plants. With the micros last year i had well over 200 but this year im toning it back a touch. At least thats what i keep telling myself.:))

ginger2778 January 31, 2017 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=heirloomtomaguy;614940]
I usually grow anywhere between 80 and 150 plants. With the micros last year i had well over 200 but this year im toning it back a touch. At least thats what i keep telling myself.:))[/QUOTE]

i could always handle over 100 plants and while awfully bountiful, I could find homes and uses for all the tomato plants. This year I learned what having a truly productive season is and it's almost to much. I never knew before just how much work it would be if I had a real season!:lol:
As usual your garden looks gorgeous, and so are your kids.:)

heirloomtomaguy February 2, 2017 01:11 AM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;614965]i could always handle over 100 plants and while awfully bountiful, I could find homes and uses for all the tomato plants. This year I learned what having a truly productive season is and it's almost to much. I never knew before just how much work it would be if I had a real season!:lol:
As usual your garden looks gorgeous, and so are your kids.:)[/QUOTE]

Thank you Marsha i know exactly what you mean. I used to shoot for 200 or more plants but with the pruning method i used last year and my DE/Spinosad schedule i produce way more with 100 plants under control.

heirloomtomaguy February 2, 2017 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Potted up 37 Pepper seedlings tonight. Its going to be another HOT season. They may be little now but soon enough they will be nasty. There is a few sweets and bells in the mix though.

heirloomtomaguy February 5, 2017 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gettin' close to transplant time. Just waiting on a storm to pass and it is on!

jpop February 6, 2017 04:38 PM

Healthy looking transplants HTG.

Bio-Ag-Guy February 7, 2017 03:54 PM

Can't wait to see what it looks like in a couple months. Very cool.

heirloomtomaguy February 7, 2017 11:38 PM

Thanks Jpop and Bio-Ag-Guy. The first round of seedlings should be hitting the soil this weekend.

heirloomtomaguy February 7, 2017 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is something about variegated tomato foliage that i just cant get enough of.

ginger2778 February 8, 2017 07:28 AM

Moonlit Mile? It has all 4 colors too.Here's my reminder that you were going to send me a few, haha. Please pm with your addy, and I will get an SASE to you right away. Love that one.