Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Tomato Recipes (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Condiments/Sauces (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=81)

coronabarb February 1, 2006 02:48 PM

Condiments/Sauces

[b]Post Tomato Condiment recipes here. :D[/b]

coronabarb February 1, 2006 02:49 PM

[b]Grilled Tomato Sauce
From Steven Raichlen

Makes about 3 1/2 cups.

5 ripe tomatoes 2# total, cut in half crosswise, and stem ends removed
1 medium onion, peeled, quartered
1 rib celery
4 cloves garlic, peeled, skewered on wooden toothpick
3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. hot pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
6 fresh basil leaves
coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 to 3/4 cup chicken stock, vegetable stock or water

Cook tomatoes, onions, celery and garlic in greased and preheated grill (George Foreman grill) until nicely browned. Transfer grilled vegetables and let cool.

Finely chop onions, celery and garlic by hand or in a food processor. Heat olive oil in large sauce pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, celery and garlic, oregano, hot pepper flakes and bay leaf and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.

Coarsely puree tomatoes and juices with basil in a food processor. Add tomato mixture to saucepan, with vegetables. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then let sauce simmer gently until thick and richly flavored, 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Sauce should be thick but pourable. If too thick, add a little stock or water. Remove and discard the bay leaf.

Sauce can be refrigerated, covered up to 4 days, or frozen for up to 2 months.[/b]

coronabarb February 1, 2006 06:51 PM

[b]Smoky Tomato Catsup

5 pounds tomato -- coarsely chopped (or 3-28 oz. cans crushed)
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 poblano chili, finely chopped
2 jalapeno, coarsely chopped
2 dried chipotle chilies, or canned
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

Combine all ingredients in a large nonreactive pot and bring to a boil over medium eat. Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft and sauce is reduced by 1/4.

Puree in food processor. Strain through a sieve into a clean pot (for a chunkier catsup, don't strain). Bring to a boil over medium-low heat and simmer (partially covered to prevent splatters) for 1 hour or until quite thick and dark brownish red. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 month or freeze.[/b]

coronabarb February 1, 2006 07:03 PM

[b]Black-Eyed Pea-And-Tomato Salsa

Recipe By : Cooking Light, Nov/Dec 1994

Vegetable cooking spray *
1 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup lean Canadian-style bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 can (15 oz) black-eyed peas, drained
1 can (14 1/2 oz) whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1 Tbl fresh jalapeno pepper,finely chopped

*I don't use cooking spray...I prefer to lightly coat pan with olive oil, as spray contains additives that eventually coat and ruin your cookware-CB.

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until hot. Add onion, bacon and garlic; saute 5 minutes. Stir in cumin, pepper, peas, and tomatoes. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Spoon into a bowl; cover and chill 1 to 8 hours.

Yield: 3-1/2 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup).

Serve at room temperature with Italian bread or no-oil tortilla chips[/b]

nctomatoman February 8, 2006 11:39 PM

Just plain ol' good fresh tasting Salsa

5 perfectly ripe tomatoes (mix of colors is nice - I like to use Cherokee Purple, Cherokee Green, Lillian's Yellow, Andrew Rahart, and Brandywine) - diced
2 Jalapeno peppers, finely diced
1 bunch scallions, finely chopped - including green parts
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsl olive oil
1 tsp salt (or to taste)
lots of fresh ground black pepper

combine the above, let sit for an hour or so, then dig in!
Feel free to play around with the pepper varieties and amounts. some chopped Sungolds add to the sweetness.

Warped February 9, 2006 12:00 AM

Tomato Sauce (Mum Newberry)

10lb Tomatoes
2-4 Cooking Apples
2 Large Onions
2lb Sugar
½ teaspoon of pepper
1 tablespoon of mixed spice
5 dessertspoons of salt
2 cups vinegar

Boil for two hours
Put through colander or put in blender & let stand over night
Boil fast for ½ hr or until thick

Taco Sauce

1 tablespoon oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 capsicum finely chopped
1 tomato chopped
½ cup tomato puree
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
salt and peper

Put oil in a small saucepan and put on warm heat.
Add onion & capsicum to pain and cook until soft
Add all remaining ingredients and cook for a further 5 minutes

Mantis February 14, 2006 01:35 AM

Thanks for the above salsa recipe Craig. I just knocked one up as I had all ingredients on hand. YUM. Dug in with a couple of rice chips straight away and it is great and so easy. Will dig in properly when the missus gets home.
Cheers Mantis

TomatoDon February 17, 2006 02:09 AM

Is home made ketchup really that much better than store bought?

KC, how did your grandmother prepare the tomatoes before cooking?

Don

coronabarb February 17, 2006 12:30 PM

The quick answer to that question, Don, is [b]YES[/b]. I'm going out of town today, but will try to get some recipes on next week.

coronabarb February 22, 2006 01:46 AM

[b]Mock Raspberry Jam
Yield 2 pints

3 pounds green tomatoes
2 cups sugar
1 ( 3 oz.) package raspberry gelatin

Remove core from tomatoes and cut into chunks. Puree in blender until you have 2 cups. Place tomatoes in saucepan, add sugar; stir a bit and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and add gelatin.

Pour into containers and refrigerate or freeze.[/b]

coronabarb February 25, 2006 08:52 PM

[b]Charred Pico de Gallo

3 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 small yellow onion, thickly sliced
Olive oil or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/2 serrano pepper, seeded and diced
1/4 teaspoon salt
(Note: I don't see any peppers in this recipe! I'd put some jals in :-))

Preheat a grill to high. Drizzle tomatoes and onion with oil. Place on the grill and cook until skin of tomato blackens and onions begin to brown and soften. Remove from grill and roughly chop. Add remaining ingredients. Let sit for at least 15 minutes before serving.[/b]

coronabarb February 28, 2006 10:19 PM

Authentic Chile de Arbol Table Salsa

[url]http://www.castbullet.com/cooking/salsa.htm[/url]

angelique February 28, 2006 10:41 PM

Wow...I haven't used my [i]Molcajete[/i] in years. Salsa has a very different taste and texture when a Molcajete is used. I noticed that the recipe called for some very non-traditional ingredients.

As a rule of thumb, fresh garlic cloves and salt are the first to be mashed into a paste in the Molcajete with just a little water (as necessary). Next chiles are incorporated into the paste. The third set of ingredients include tomatillo or tomatoes (boiled and cooled with skins removed); and possibly onions and/or cilantro for texture. Fimally, spices such as ground cumin (if using whole cumin, grind first with salt then add garlic), or Mex. Oregano are added to taste.

coronabarb March 9, 2006 03:40 PM

[b] Emeril's Pico de Gallo

1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
3/4 cup finely chopped white onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons minced, seeded jalapeno or serrano chiles
1 teaspoon minced clove
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch cayenne

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Cover and allow to rest at room temperature for 1 hour for flavors to blend.

Makes about 3 cups[/b]

coronabarb March 9, 2006 04:02 PM

[b] (from a previous posting) Okay, now you guys are talking my language (I make salsa for a living)! Check out my company website [url]www.fronterakitchens.com[/url]. Here is a recipe for my favorite homemade salsa: Chicago_Joe

Roasted Jalapeno-Tomato Salsa with Fresh Cilantro
Yield 5 Cups

3 Pounds of Ripe Tomato (your favorite)
4 to 6 Fresh Jalapeno chilies, steamed or roasted
1 small White Onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
8 Garlic Cloves
1/2 Cup of Water
2/3 Chopped Fresh Cilantro
2 Tablespoons of Salt
1 Tablespoon of Cider Vinegar

Heat broiler. Lay whole tomatoes and jalapenos out on a broiler pan or baking sheet. Broil for about 6 minutes until darkly roasted - even blackened in spots on one side. Flip tomatoes and jalapeños and broil for another 6 minutes or so. The goal is not simply to char the tomatoes and chiles but to cook them through while developing nice roasty flavors. Set aside to cool.

Turn oven down to 425 degrees. Separate onions into rings. On a baking sheet, combine onions and garlic. Roast in the oven, stirring carefully every couple of minutes, until the onions are beautifully browned and wilted and garlic is soft and browned in spots, about 15 minutes total. Cool to room temperature.

For a little less rustic flavor or if you are canning the salsa, pull of the peels from the cooled tomatoes and cut out the cores (working over your baking sheet so as to not waste any juices).

In a food processor, pulse the jalapenos (no need to peel or seed them) with onion and garlic until moderately finely chopped, scraping everything down with a spatula as needed to keep it all moving around. Scoop into a big bowl. Without washing the processor, coarsely puree tomatoes with all the juice that accumulated around them and add to the bowl. Stir in enough water to give the salsa an easily spoonable consistency. Stir in cilantro. Taste and season with salt and vinegar, remembering that this condiment should be a little feisty in its seasoning. If you’re planning to use the salsa right away, simply pour into a bowl and it’s ready, or refrigerate it covered and use within 5 days.[/b]

coronabarb March 9, 2006 04:13 PM

[b]TOMATO KETCHUP

7 pounds tomatoes
5 garlic cloves
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 large onions, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 sticks cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 small knob fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon whole cloves
3/4 - 1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 - 3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Slice tomatoes in half and place on cookie sheets. Scatter unpeeled garlic cloves among the tomatoes. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil and bake for about 1 hour, 20 minutes, until tomatoes are getting slightly dry and brown.

Heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan. Saute onions in oil until soft, about 15 minutes. Add cinnamon sticks, celery seeds, allspice and ginger; saute 1-2 minutes.

Place a food mill over pan and strain roasted tomatoes and garlic through the mill into onion mixture. Tie peppercorns and cloves in cheesecloth and add to pan. Simmer about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, as it thickens. Add vinegar and sugar, tasting to get sour-sweet balance to your liking. Add salt and continue simmering for another hour or so until mixture is the texture of ketchup, stirring periodically to prevent burning. Remove and discard the cheesecloth bundle. Refrigerate[/b]

honu March 11, 2006 01:22 AM

[b]Sorry I don't have the measurements because I taste as I go.... these taste better if you let flavors combine overnight in the refrig.

salsa1:
meaty part of ripe tomato (save the juice for something else)
avocado
lime juice
chipotle peppers w/ adobo sauce
garlic
green onions
cilantro
sea salt

salsa2:
meaty part of ripe tomato (save the juice for something else)
kalamata olives
garlic (the purple kind)
dried oregano
serrano chiles
lime juice
green onions
cilantro
sea salt[/b]

coronabarb April 5, 2006 07:56 PM

Avocado and Grape Tomato Guacamole

[b]Avocado and Grape Tomato "Guacamole"

1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes (8oz) quartered vertically
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 ripe Haas avocado, diced
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 small jalapeno pepper, minced
1 teaspoon orange-blossom honey
juice of 1 lime (2 tablespoons)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Gently combine all ingredients in a medium bowl until just mixed. Season with salt to taste. Serve like salsa with baked tortilla chips or atop fish or poultry.[/b]

coronabarb May 3, 2006 01:35 AM

[b]Green Tomato Salsa with Thai Spices
by Montanamato
from Cooking Light

4 green tomatoes (about 2#)
1 large red onion
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 Tbls fresh lime juice
2 Tbls fish sauce
1 Tbl rice vinegar
2 tsps serrano chile, minced
2 tsps fresh ginger, minced
2 tsps ground coriander
2 tsps olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 cup chopped green onions
1 cup yellow bell pepper, julienne cut

Cut tomatoes and red onion in half vertically. Cut each half horizontally into thin slices; set aside.

Combine ingredients cilantro through sesame oil in large bowl; stir well. Add tomatoes, red onions, green onions, and bell pepper. Toss and let stand 1 hour.

Yield approx. 8 one cup servings.[/b]

coronabarb May 5, 2006 05:28 PM

[b]Fresh Tomato Vinaigrette
[i]"Chef 2 Chef"[/i]

1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 small shallot minced
2 ripe plum tomatoes, peeled and seeded
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 dozen fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (fleur de sel)
1 pinch freshly ground black pepper

Place garlic, wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, shallot and tomatoes in a blender and process for 20 seconds. Add olive oil, salt and pepper and process for 10 seconds or until emulsified and thick.

Thickly slice desired amount of tomatoes and spread on a platter or individual serving plates. Slice Mozzarella cheese and place over tomato slices.

Drizzle tomato vinaigrette over each and sprinkle with chopped basil. Serve immediately.

Note: You can store the vinaigrette for up to one week in the refrigerator but it should be brought to room temperature before serving.[/b]

coronabarb May 17, 2006 01:53 PM

[b]Honest Abe's Corn Tomato Relish Hot Dog Topping

4 tsps extra virgin olive oil
2 tsps red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups extra sweet corn kernels, freshly cooked or frozen and thawed
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
2 Tbls chopped fresh basil leaves

Whip oil and vinegar together in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in corn, tomatoes, onion and basil. Cover and chill. Spoon teaspoons of corn relish atop cooked hot dogs in a heated bun. Yields 3 cups.[/b]

coronabarb May 24, 2006 05:44 PM

[b]Texas Barbecue Sauce

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup finely chopped green pepper
2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
11 cups tomato puree
1/2 cup honey
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 bay leaves
salt to taste

In a small skillet over medium high heat, melt butter, then add canola oil, onion, celery, black pepper, and garlic. Reduce heat and saute vegetables for about 8 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and celery is soft.

Transfer vegetable mixture to a non-aluminum saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and slowly simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently so the sauce doesn't burn. Allow sauce to sit for at least one hour to allow flavors to meld. If time allows, make sauce the day before and store covered in the refrigerator.[/b]

coronabarb May 26, 2006 11:55 PM

[b]Fresh Tomato Cream Sauce

1 can chopped tomatoes, or 8 plum tomatoes, skinned and chopped w/ juice
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 minced onion
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup of whipping cream
Fresh basil, torn
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a sauce pot over medium heat; add onion and garlic and saute until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and salt and pepper; simmer for 10 min. Add cream, reserving 2 tbsp. Let sauce simmer for 20 minutes until slightly reduced.

Add last 2 tbsp of cream at the last minute. Sprinkle with fresh basil. Serve over fusilli or linguine pasta.[/b]

coronabarb May 27, 2006 12:02 AM

[b]"Lynne's Gravy" - (Italian Tomato Sauce)

2 cloves garlic
1 (12oz) can tomato paste
2 large cans crushed tomatoes
1 large can tomato sauce or puree
Fresh basil
Italian seasoning
Parsley
Salt and pepper
2 tsp. sugar
Parmesan or romano grated cheese
Meatballs and Italian sausage

Brown garlic in olive oil in bottom of large saucepan. Add tomato paste and one can of water; stir. Add remaining cans of tomatoes and spices (amounts to your taste) and let simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

In the meantime, fry or broil meatballs and sausage. When done, put meat in sauce and let cook for at least hour.

The large amount this makes is great for freezing leftovers in 1qt containers.[/b]

coronabarb June 27, 2006 10:20 AM

[b]Texas Barbecue Sauce

2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons canola oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup finely chopped green pepper
2 Tablespoons finely minced garlic
11 cups tomato puree
1/2 cup honey
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup chicken stock
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 bay leaves
salt to taste (optional)

In a small skillet over medium high heat, melt butter, then add canola oil, onion, celery, black pepper, and garlic. Reduce heat and saute for about 8 minutes, or until onions are translucent and vegetables are soft.

Transfer vegetable mixture to a non-aluminum saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and slowly simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently so sauce doesn't burn. Allow sauce to sit for at least one hour to allow flavors to meld. If time allows, make sauce the day before and store covered in refrigerator.[/b]

coronabarb August 8, 2006 12:52 AM

[b]Tomato And Onion Sauce
Serve this quick-and-easy sauce over grilled chicken or bean dishes.
Makes about 2 cups

1 1/2 Tablespoons oil
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 cup of chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in saucepan and add onion; cook for 3 minutes over medium heat. Stir in tomatoes and garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until thickened (about 10-12 minutes). Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.[/b]

CLa October 14, 2006 05:16 AM

A Cla experiment. Sungella/Sungold spaghetti sauce!

The reason for using sungolds is because they were some that were picked a bit early, not completly ripe when picked, and although they were ripe this night, they were getting too soft, it was time to use them along with the sungellas that were sitting out. So here is what I did with them. (normally, you would not use sungolds, they create many small skins that take more time to remove, unless you want the fiber in your sauce :wink:

Roughly 2 cups sungellas (about 1-1/4 peeled and stuffed in a cup)
About a 1/2 cup sungolds
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp or less dash of cajun seasoning (if you want to get a slight bit of spice)
1 flat tsp sugar
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
less than a quarter lbs suasage.

By the way, this is a one man meal. You can always multiply this recipe by 2 or 10:)

So anyway here is what we have:
[img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n81/adderadder/1st%20set/gella.jpg[/img]

and the sungolds I used (I just cut stem ends off tomatoes):
[img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n81/adderadder/1st%20set/golds.jpg[/img]

After cutting the ends of, and maybe cutting the larger tomatoes into 4's, you can cook them down a bit; 5 or 10 few minutes simmering boil, which causes the skins to fall off the tomatoes, then you can pretty much just pick them out of the pot. (took me a good 5-10 minutes per the sungolds).

[img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n81/adderadder/1st%20set/mix.jpg[/img]

At this point I used a small skillet to saute some smoked sausage. after cooking it very well and the skillet was pretty hot, I poured the sauce from the pot over the sausage, into the skillet. added the garlic, sugar oregano, oh yeah also a dash of monosodium glutamate (accent).

[img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n81/adderadder/1st%20set/saute.jpg[/img]

cooked it hot for a few minutes and it came out nice and thick, and very good. Best sgetti sauce I have ever had. First time I believe for having a sauce made of fresh picked tomatoes. The combination of seasonings/flavor is unreal. Must have a little spice, I'd add some blackpepper if not for red pepper (cajun seasoning).

[img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n81/adderadder/1st%20set/sgetty.jpg[/img] :arrow:

DavidinCT January 29, 2007 08:37 PM

Very appealing plate. Look at how the sauce holds on to the pasta. First class. Thanks for the pics.

maupin April 16, 2007 04:53 PM

Barb-

Have you run this through a sieve or food mill to capture skins and seeds? Is there any notable difference?