Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Crosstalk: Tomatoville Research and Development™ (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   True North Tomatoes (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35894)

KarenO September 14, 2018 09:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tundra F7
Still ripening some nice ones mid September.
The True North hearts will be ready for trial spring 2019
Very interested to see them grown out in different climates and conditions.

lexxluthor September 14, 2018 09:08 PM

Nice looking maters for sure.

tryno12 September 14, 2018 11:56 PM

those are pretty! do you let them ripen that far? seems many of mine i pick a bit paler to avoid damage. had a discussion with a person the other day that said flavor is not affected too much by picking a tad greener? i am not sure:?!?:

KarenO September 15, 2018 12:23 AM

You can pick at blush with no change in flavour imo and less risk of splitting, critter damage etc. These have been in the house a few days.
It’s been raining so I picked everything that was coloured. This time of year I watch the forecast and if green I leave them be but I go out and pick all my blushers whenever rain is in the forecast
KarenO

tryno12 September 15, 2018 12:41 AM

Thanks much Karen, I will do the same way you do from now on. I am now the proud owner of 40#'s of "splits" after much rain:( I cook a lot of them so all is good. BTW, I noticed this year Solar Flare and a Hawaiian Variety I tried both had much more decease than any other of my 40 variety's grown in same conditions- any thoughts?
I know I will not try to grow Hawaiian tom's here in Indy again:lol: just got back from a nice visit to Seattle

Whwoz September 15, 2018 03:44 AM

Lovely mater's Karen, roughly what weight are they

KarenO September 15, 2018 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=Whwoz;714700]Lovely mater's Karen, roughly what weight are they[/QUOTE]

Earlier ones around 14 oz, some up to 18.
Later ones like these are smaller, about 7-8 oz I’m gusssing.
I Didn’t weigh them. Solid, heavy for their size in general.
KarenO

bower September 15, 2018 07:27 PM

Dense and meaty, I heartily approve your likes, Karen. ;) Really looking forward to these, especially your early bi/tri colors.:yes:

natural September 15, 2018 08:04 PM

Very nice color!

Bill

Whwoz September 16, 2018 01:32 AM

Very nice Karen, definitely like what you are looking for as far as your tomato breeding goes

KarenO January 3, 2019 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Midnight Sun
Potato leaf Indeterminate clear epi large bicolour pink over yellow heart. Flavour is delicious, smooth texture meaty yet juicy with few seeds. These examples at full ripeness.
Bred by Karen Olivier from a cross of Ludmilla pink heart x Captain Lucky now stabilized to F8 and has been consistent for several generations. F9 seed will be made available soon through seeds offered by Marsha and I.
Thank you to everyone who has been encouraging along the way.
KarenO

MdTNGrdner January 3, 2019 11:07 PM

Congratulations Karen, it has been a labor of love for you! :spin:

ddsack January 4, 2019 12:19 AM

Karen, I can't wait to try one! Ya done good! :wiz::dance:

NicolasGarcia January 4, 2019 05:26 AM

Congratulations Karen!
It looks delicious, I'm sure it will be a great tomato.
Nico

sjamesNorway January 4, 2019 05:26 AM

Hurrah!

It's been on my 2019 grow-list for months.:)