Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Starting From Seed (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Muddy Bucket Farm has begun 2019 Season (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48867)

ContainerTed March 26, 2019 11:38 AM

Muddy Bucket Farm has begun 2019 Season

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I would show what we're up to this year. I have acquired a 4 foot long germination heat pad. This is my setup to get the flats loaded and seeds into the flats. This year I'm comparing Miracle Grow Seed Starting mix with Jiffy Seed Starting mix. In the picture below, there are three 72 cell flats, two 24 cell flats, and the first of the seedlings into pots (the gray wash tub). This is day 6 and I have about 10% of the cells with germination showing "little hooks" coming up.

Also in the picture is the white bucket with two plants that I've overwintered. To the left of the window is the controller for the heat mat and that is set for 81 degrees Fahrenheit.

And, also on the left, the pink "Christmas Cactus" that I've had in my ICU most of the winter. A family member said they had been trying to get it to bloom, but had no blooms for two years. I gave it a shot of "MG for acid loving plants", and it bloomed its butt off.

So, that's my setup this year. 121 varieties scattered among 264 starter cells.

KarenO March 26, 2019 11:59 AM

Nice! I know there are some KARMA seeds in this very neat and orderly system :)
Here’s to a great start and an excellent season ahead.

KarenO

ContainerTed March 26, 2019 12:41 PM

Yes, Karen. Karma Pink, Karma Peach, Karma Purple Multiflora, Polaris, and Midnight Sun are all there. All are already showing little hooks except for Midnight Sun which should show up any moment now. I check all my trays three times a day until they are all up.

I grew Karma Pink last year and I'm really looking forward to the other 4. Thanks again for the super generosity of both you and Marsha.

ginger2778 March 26, 2019 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=ContainerTed;730393]Yes, Karen. Karma Pink, Karma Peach, Karma Purple Multiflora, Polaris, and Midnight Sun are all there. All are already showing little hooks except for Midnight Sun which should show up any moment now. I check all my trays three times a day until they are all up.

I grew Karma Pink last year and I'm really looking forward to the other 4. Thanks again for the super generosity of both you and Marsha.[/QUOTE]

I'll be interested to read about MS, I have more seeds if it doesn't come up, from different fruit.

ContainerTed March 26, 2019 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;730400]I'll be interested to read about MS, I have more seeds if it doesn't come up, from different fruit.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not worried, but I do fully appreciate your concerns. It's way too early in my processes. I won't be concerned until something like day 14. Right now, for the ones in the Jiffy mix, it is only day 2 1/2. I'll keep posting as things progress.

Marsha, just remember last year and Grandma Oliver's Chocolate. The seeds from you were up in just two days == 5/5,

Take care, ladies.

Ted

clara March 26, 2019 06:42 PM

This a really nice looking set-up, Ted! Good look for all seedlings, but I'm sure you'll have it!

ContainerTed March 26, 2019 07:22 PM

[QUOTE=clara;730441]This a really nice looking set-up, Ted! Good look for all seedlings, but I'm sure you'll have it![/QUOTE]

Well, howdy, Miss Clara. Yes, there are a few in there you'd be interested in. A couple of Pulheims, a yellow dwarf, and one with your handle on it. I hope that one germinates. I'll have to check my list for others that might hold your interest. :yes:

I'll let you know what else might show up. In the meantime, tell that adopted great nephew that I think about him. And be sure to give him an extra hug. :cute:
Gotta go and fix some supper. I'm on permanent KP until the surgeon clears DW for retaking [U]her[/U] house. I may keep her for another 55 years. :)

PlainJane March 26, 2019 07:24 PM

Very nice looking seed starting space and setup. Just natural light?

clara March 26, 2019 07:38 PM

[QUOTE=ContainerTed;730451]Well, howdy, Miss Clara. Yes, there are a few in there you'd be interested in. A couple of Pulheims, a yellow dwarf, and one with your handle on it. I hope that one germinates. I'll have to check my list for others that might hold your interest. :yes:

I'll let you know what else might show up. In the meantime, tell that adopted great nephew that I think about him. And be sure to give him an extra hug. :cute:
Gotta go and fix some supper. I'm on permanent KP until the surgeon clears DW for retaking [U]her[/U] house. I may keep her for another 55 years. :)[/QUOTE]

Ted, I've been thinking of her so many times! All the VERY best to her - and you of course!

ContainerTed March 28, 2019 04:41 PM

[QUOTE=ginger2778;730400]I'll be interested to read about MS, I have more seeds if it doesn't come up, from different fruit.[/QUOTE]

Midnight Sun made its debut last night. Now all the varieties I got have shown germination and will be just another "I told you so". :P

wildcat62 March 28, 2019 06:08 PM

Nice set up. I haven't used a mat myself either. Curious to hear your opinion on it.

ContainerTed March 28, 2019 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=wildcat62;730730]Nice set up. I haven't used a mat myself either. Curious to hear your opinion on it.[/QUOTE]

I really think it takes the mystery out of the process. You don't have to totally rely on room temperature. I have the one pictured set at 81 degrees F. At that temp, I can do peppers easily as well as make sure that tomatoes are coming on earlier. I paid about 55 bucks for that one you see. But, it allows me to set the temp any time I wish. I can only say that I wonder how I got along without one for so many years. It is [U]definitely[/U] worth the price.

Worth1 March 28, 2019 08:07 PM

Looking forward to future pictures and updates.

ginger2778 March 28, 2019 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=ContainerTed;730721]Midnight Sun made its debut last night. Now all the varieties I got have shown germination and will be just another "I told you so". :P[/QUOTE]

Y ipee! Yay! Hooray! Did I mention I am happy?:yes: