Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Tomatoville® Gardening Forums (http://www.tomatoville.com/index.php)
-   Our Legacy of Yesteryear Varieties (http://www.tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   An Ode to Black Krim (http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=35640)

snugglekitten March 22, 2015 11:40 AM

An Ode to Black Krim

The muse hath inspired me....

[CENTER]funnels of juices transcribed from an ancient line
the Hyperboreals have dragged you to the pole
under the midnight sun produceth thou
a confluence of goodness and equanimity[/CENTER]

Black Krim is still my eternally favorite heirloom.

I have sliced and diced this little feller into new hybrids and have never been able to reproduce its complex fruitiness, this artisanal relic of good breeding.

Black Krim is the inspiration for many tomato gardener and I am happy that it is here and may it live forever!

It is living proof that heirlooms should stand as guarded treasure because no amount of science can mess with the taste of this dusty old heirloom.

It is worth noting that around the Crimea is possibley where Circe sent Odysseus into the underworld and I would like to think that the apples of the Hesperides nowadays could be represented as black krims....

snugglekitten March 22, 2015 11:43 AM

doublepost, pls delete

efisakov March 22, 2015 11:49 AM

You may be interested to find out that there is a Potato Leaf version of Black Krim. BKX.

AKmark March 22, 2015 08:10 PM

I collected seeds from a PL Black Krim from last years plants, it was the first one ive seen. The fruit was great, very much the same taste and look as the RL version. I have a bunch of seeds, and already sprouted a couple dozen this year, they are all PL. I also crossed that plant to a PL Early girl, and are growing those out, they are very vigorous, and pretty early to set fruit too. Great variety.

peppero March 23, 2015 06:31 AM

It is a most tasty tomato.

jon:yes::D

lumierefrere June 18, 2015 05:04 PM

Is the PL something spontaneous? Because I bought a 4 pack of Black Krim and one is PL. I'm not sure if someone made a mistake while starting the seeds or if it's the real thing. I'm probably 2 months away from seeing a ripe tomato so if someone has a clue, my mystery may be partially solved.

CamuMahubah July 4, 2015 02:15 AM

[QUOTE=AKmark;459090]I collected seeds from a PL Black Krim from last years plants, it was the first one ive seen. The fruit was great, very much the same taste and look as the RL version. I have a bunch of seeds, and already sprouted a couple dozen this year, they are all PL. I also crossed that plant to a PL Early girl, and are growing those out, they are very vigorous, and pretty early to set fruit too. Great variety.[/QUOTE]

I would love to grow that tomato.

stevenkh1 July 4, 2015 10:16 AM

I am growing it for the first time this year (non PL).

CamuMahubah July 7, 2015 01:47 AM

Ummm...why was Snugglekitten banned? Where is the land of the white eagle?

I too love the Black Krim!

It does so much better in the intense heat of Nebraskastan than the favored CP.

K I see why.

Black Krim is good tomato though. So strong in my garden. Funny how my neighbors ask for it but they still grow hybrids the next year.